TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

My hospital experience was really good, even the food was good, and I felt good enough to eat. I did need a quick, one time catheter about 4 am, so that would be my concern about going home same day, what if that happened at home. But I read too many hospital PT stories on here, that for me, the sooner I get home, the better (I hope!) ugh! Hopefully this partial, even though it’s not great, will last me forever!
 
I want to add another positive observation: despite the knee still aching and being generally uncomfortable… I have no difficulty getting up from the lounge/chair any more! The grating and grinding I had for years is gone. I can even stand up without using my arms to push off.
Husband says it’s funny not to hear me groan whenever I get up from a chair now.
So even though it’s still sore, I can see a positive difference since the surgery.
 
@Jockette , Hi. I wouldn’t want day surgery as I was given intravenous antibiotics for 36 hrs. Prophylactic, I know, but I feel this is important. Also, the nurses gave me much more pain relief than I would ever have taken at home. My surgeon keeps all of his knee patients in for 3 days post op and I was glad he did, despite the uncomfortable nights. Day surgery for tkr hasn’t really taken off here in Australia.
After further discussion with my GP I had flu vaccination yesterday. Aching all over now. Silly me.
Interesting! Out-patient TKR surgery is very common here, and I'm glad. I was home within hours and with the pain /nerve block, didn't have much discomfort til it wore off a couple days later and by then the OXY took over. I had to chuckle at your getting a flu vaccine yesterday, and now aching. I am scheduled for my annual two-hour physical this morning, which i have to fast for. So can't have my saltines, and will go in weak, nauseated and in pain. This should be fun. NOT! haha
 
She's given me a step which I must use, stepping up with the operated leg and down with the other one. Then I must do it sideways. It's surprising how much discomfort this causes so I only do it twice a day, ten repetitions. The only reason I persist is that I want to be able to climb my daughter's staircase and my house has no stairs at all for practice.
I think I would wait until more healing takes place to do this exercise. You will get back to doing stairs, and this step you‘re using could be very helpful, but not yet, since it causes so much discomfort. Just because you need to do steps in the future, doesn’t mean working on it too soon will speed up the process. Healing takes time.
 
Oh! I didn’t think it would be a problem as many people have to manage flights of stairs in their homes and seem to do so without too much bother.
 
I did think of that, but why push it if you don’t have to. Maybe do less step ups and only once a day, until you can do them with less discomfort.

Someone on here said, you can’t strengthen damaged tissue. Right now in early healing, due to the trauma of the surgery, your tissue is “damaged.” I would give it more time to heal, but, as we always say, do what works for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Ok, will just do it once a day. You know me by now… am not one to overdo the exercises! Thanks for reminding me to slow down.
 
You are doing so well with your relaxed pace. I wouldn‘t want that to be affected and have you end up in pain. Getting rid of increased pain takes longer than it took to cause it. :console2:
 
So true. The physio is only visiting once a week now and only 4 more to go before it ends. When she asks how much I am doing I can easily stretch the truth. Better than arguing, but I think she’d be too afraid to argue with me now.
 
Something to make everyone smile (off topic, but funny)

Grandson's teacher asked the class to write a story about a refugee who came to Australia to escape a war. She said perhaps it might be a family member whose story they could tell.
My grandson said the only person he knew in the family from another country was me, so he wrote the following:

My Gran hopped on a plane to Australia, to escape the terrible Maori Wars in New Zealand. She got off the plane and met my Pop, who asked her could she make good cake. Gran said yes and so they married and lived happily ever after.

Please note: The Maori wars were from 1845 - 1872. (Wonder what plane I hopped onto in the 1800s?)
I arrived in Australia in 1974
My husband did not marry because of my cake making abilities (well, at least, I don't think so.)
 
Where did you live before you went to Australia?
 
Oh, now I see that was in there. :doh:Sorry I missed that!
 
Your grandson is a keeper. :heehee:

No need to lie to the physio. Tell her you did fewer reps because it caused pain and you'll keep trying as you heal. You might even teach her something.
 
Is the PT having you do step exercises because you have no stairs where you live? I know I practiced steps just by having to do them for normal household activities. Like others have said, it's ok to do fewer repetitions if they cause you too much pain right now. You can try more again in a few days or a week.

One of the other things I learned from my PT is that it's ok to break up the exercises over the course of the day rather than doing everything all at once. That seemed to work for me.
 
@kneeper , She asked me did I have a goal with rehab and I stupidly said, to climb the stairs at my daughters place. We have no stairs at all here.
I haven’t done the step exercises since yesterday. I do break them up, physio told me to.
I just feel that climbing stairs was mastered early on for everyone here who has them at home, so it can’t do the knee too much harm, can it?
Physio mentioned the poor state of quads on my unoperated leg but after my foot surgery I was inactive for a year due to severe complications. My feet are still not right and I am facing more surgery. Was lying in bed last night with terrible nerve pain in my feet and my knee was perfectly fine.
 
Something to make everyone smile (off topic, but funny)

Grandson's teacher asked the class to write a story about a refugee who came to Australia to escape a war. She said perhaps it might be a family member whose story they could tell.
My grandson said the only person he knew in the family from another country was me, so he wrote the following:

My Gran hopped on a plane to Australia, to escape the terrible Maori Wars in New Zealand. She got off the plane and met my Pop, who asked her could she make good cake. Gran said yes and so they married and lived happily ever after.

Please note: The Maori wars were from 1845 - 1872. (Wonder what plane I hopped onto in the 1800s?)
I arrived in Australia in 1974
My husband did not marry because of my cake making abilities (well, at least, I don't think so.)
That is adorable!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom