THR My thigh muscle is too weak

I think you're most likely spot on in your assumption. The heels throw off your balance and possibly walking on uneven terrain in the woods only exacerbated it. It's good the icing and rest helped and you're feeling better.
Sorry about the appt. I'd probably feel a bit frustrated also. :tantrum2:
Take care and enjoy the day!
@Grammy57
I have a question, how long until I start feeling normal, at least to the point I was? I know you really can't answer this specifically, but how long is too long? I still am hurting on the hip bone itself and I feel like I did earlier that my leg is longer, I know it's not, but it's that odd, off-balance feeling again.
thanks,
Victoria
 
Hi @Grammy57
You're not quite three months post op and while recovery time varies for each person we often remind members that it can take up to a year, sometimes even longer for a full recovery. My surgeon's PA also reminded me that while a prosthetic takes away our pain and normally increases our mobility and flexibility, it will never match our natural hip before our need for surgery.

You're not too far along to be icing any / all areas of discomfort. Do it several times per day, for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice. See if it helps. Also, re-examine your activity level and see if you're pushing yourself where you shouldn't be, or engaging in any activity that's causing you discomfort afterward.

Your LLD may still settle. Most often the feeling gradually disappears. Here's a link from our Library: Leg length differential - LLD
Give it a good 3-4 months before addressing it with your surgeon or getting measured for LLD.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a good week @Grammy57
Wondering if you’ve been icing at all or feeling more relief? Let us know how you’re doing when you have time. Until then...all the best to you!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a good week @Grammy57
Hello, I had my 3-month check-up yesterday. I was told that my muscles and tendons in my thigh were very weak. They want me to go to PT and learn some strengthening exercises. I have an appointment for Thursday. The PA told me I didn't have to continue to go if I didn't want to as long as I learned a few strengthening exercises. I have felt a lot better and the pain is on-again-off-again and not as severe as before. Yes, ice helps. Thanks.
 
Hello @Grammy57 Thanks for the update. :)
Sounds like a good plan!
Please stop back and let us know how its going for you after a time.
Stay safe and well!
 
Hi Grammy57, glad you got the 3 month checkup over with. Maybe a little more walking will help your muscle.
I finally graduated to my cane a few days ago. I probably need to do more strengthening exercises too. My 2nd follow-up was supposed to be on March 23 but I canceled it because of this coronavirus thing.
I hope you are getting some sun where you live and that you stay virus free. :wave: :walking::tiredwheel:
 
@kymamaw, I"m sorry your appointment got canceled. I was told I could cancel if I wanted to, but I wanted to go so I kept my appointment. They were being very cautious. They took my temperature before they allowed me to go see the PA. That was fine. They also had once use pens to sign in with.
 
@Layla , I have a quick question, my PT appointment got postponed so my friend who just had a hip replacement sent me pictures of the exercises her Dr gave her. I remembered doing some of them from PT before the surgery. I attempted the exercise where you stand at a chair and raise your knee to whatever height (up to level) that doesn't cause pain. I was able to raise my leg to level but I felt all kinds of popping and crackling when I did it. Do you think that is normal? I see the PT tomorrow and will ask them but not sure I should continue until then. Thank you.
 
Hi @Grammy57
Since you have an appointment with your PT tomorrow, I’d stop the exercises until then. They’re really not necessary anyway, unless your trying to work on gait or some other issue. Walking should suffice, but not to excess. Take everything slow and easy. You’re only three months out from a major surgery with many months of healing to still happen. You’re doing well and you’ll get there. Let us know how your session goes tomorrow.
Stay safe and well!
 
If your PT gets canceled again...if you’re able, get outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine, if the weather cooperates, and walk. Increase distance slowly, always keeping in mind you need enough energy for the return trip home. :walking:
 
Yes, I went on a walk yesterday and one on Sunday. Sunday involved a small hill and that was hard so yesterday we only went part way up the hill and turned onto another road (we live in a very rural area). The walk yesterday was about a mile and half, maybe a little less. I've been icing today from the leg-lifts.
 
Mile and a half, now that is an endeavor. Hope the ice helped.
Everytime I think the weather might be good enough to walk, it rains or is cold. Can't win.

Hang in there. :wave: :thumb::hiking:
 
I saw the PT guy today. He said he thinks that the joint is "loose" and he diagnosed close-packed impingement. I'm not sure that's the exact wording but close. He said that there was impingement because the muscles weren't working together. He said that a tendon was removed in the surgery and it makes the muscles work harder. I didn't know this. He said that the goal was to get all the muscles and tendons working together and that I would be doing exercises with bands and weights. I have my first workout tomorrow. I hope it goes well.
 
I’m not familiar with your PT’s diagnosis, but would like to caution you against exercising with bands and weights. I fear it will only exacerbate things. I’m tagging @Jaycey to ask her to please weigh in.
 
I am sorry for such a late reply. My computer won't turn on and I had to borrow a computer. Yes, they did give me bands to put around my knees and want me to extend my knees outward. They did not give weights. The other exercises were "bridges" and trying to push my knee downward using my thigh muscles. I have not been using the band much but have done so. I have upped my walking. Last week I got in at least one good walk per day (except Saturday as it rained all day). The pain IS lessening. Thank you so much. Oh, and PT has been suspended for 2 more weeks because of Covid 19.
 
Hi @Grammy57
Please, no apologies necessary. Most of us are preoccupied with the news of the day during this time of uncertainty and real life comes first, but it’s great to hear from you!

A word of caution involving “Bridges”...this is a core stability exercise that puts a lot of pressure on an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. Many that have engaged in these unnecessary exercises end up suffering set-backs, sometimes for several weeks. I’d like to caution against using bands also. The best exercise for recovery is walking, as you’re doing, but not to excess.
Take Care, stay safe and well!
 
@Layla , Thanks. I have not been using the band and I have not been doing the bridges. I hate doing bridges :) so I avoid them. I DO try to use my upper muscles more but not to extreme. I walked about a mile today. It is still chilly here so I'm not sure if it was my leg or the cold that was the biggest factor in turning back. :0. Thank you for the advice. I hope you and yours are all doing well. My daughter is a nurse and is working in the Covid 19 ward. We are keeping her son with us. I will be glad when this is over.
 
My daughter is a nurse and is working in the Covid 19 ward.

Oh bless her! I hope she remains safe and well.
Is she seeing a lot of cases in her ward, or area?
 
Yes, she is seeing a lot. She's concerned about the lack of ventilators. She said her hospital is also out of Propofol and now the patients will need to be awake for the insertions. She is concerned. She has been taking extra precautions for herself also. I haven't seen her in over a week but understand. It could be worse, thankfully we are NOT in Detroit area.
 
This is all so surreal. Prayers for her protection....yours also.
Take care, Grammy :friends:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom