THR My thigh muscle is too weak

That is how I taught myself to become a back sleeper many years ago. I got a very firm king sized pillow to use under my knees/lower thighs.. then I took two more pillows and stuffed them on each side of me so I got that cozy snuggly side sleep feeling.

Now, once in a while when I really want some side sleeping, I take that king sized pillow and use between my knees and it's long enough to also run in between my feet and ankles which keeps the strain off of my back and hips.
I love my pillows and hope you fall in love with yours too. :zzz:
 
Update: I had my first "big" excursion today. My husband took me to the grocery store. It wasn't a full shopping trip, I had a small list. It was more than expected. I'm tired but feel it was probably a good thing.
 
Hi and a Happy Tuesday to you. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Congrats on your first big outing. Brave soul to face the crazy crowds out this time of year. Put your feet up, rest / ice and hopefully you'll drift off into a comfy sleep :yawn:
A peaceful relaxing afternoon to you!
@Grammy57
 
Hoo boy! A grocery shopping trip. we sure know how to have fun, heh heh! But it feels so good to do the normal things like groceries..
I hope you are resting/relaxing and feeling a sense of accomplishment. :)
 
That first big excursion, even if only to the grocery store, always feels so good! And to deal with the crowds out there lately I'm sure you got a work out! Definitely sit back and rest.
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Yes, I got more of a work out than expected. I was in more pain when I woke up this morning. I have a new pain (since the surgery) my groin hurts again. Not sure if I did too much or slept poorly. Resting more today. I hope all of you are doing well.
 
My biggest disappointment so far has been some continuing groin pain. It's not as bad or as constant but it's still there even though the OS said "when you wake up the groin pain will be gone." Don't make promises you can't keep! :tantrum2:
 
@Grammy57
I didn't have a lot of groin pain before hip replacement, but I did have a measurable amount afterwards.
Can't give you exact reasons why, but I know it was annoying and gnawing and constant and then more intermittent...seemed to be somewhat more prominent with more activity, but then lessened without lessening the activity.:shrug:
Sometimes it was the groin thing...then, it was the knot in the behind thing.
Travelling pains that eventually all dissipated.
Certainly, my hip joint at times was all that didnt ache.
Time will be the greatest healer and these are early early days....

Hope you can relax and stay iced down.
Healing hugs coming your way.:loveshwr:
 
@Grammy57
I didn't have a lot of groin pain before hip replacement, but I did have a measurable amount afterwards.
Can't give you exact reasons why, but I know it was annoying and gnawing and constant and then more intermittent...seemed to be somewhat more prominent with more activity, but then lessened without lessening the activity.:shrug:
Sometimes it was the groin thing...then, it was the knot in the behind thing.
Travelling pains that eventually all dissipated.
Certainly, my hip joint at times was all that didnt ache.
Time will be the greatest healer and these are early early days....

Hope you can relax and stay iced down.
Healing hugs coming your way.:loveshwr:
My issues have been going on for 20 some years. I got along for the longest by giving up activities that caused pain. I then had the hip scope done in February and had great hopes of being pain free, but sadly it only made it worse. They did fix several things with the scope, one was a labral tear which I hoped would end the groin pain. Because the scope didn't help and actually made it worse, I ended up with my new hip. I realize it's early and I am trying to "keep my chin up". I'm just hoping this new pain (feels like I tried to do the splits) was just because I did too much in too short a time.
 
My issues have been going on for 20 some years. I got along for the longest by giving up activities that caused pain

Even if you did a little too much, by backing off and giving yourself time...
You will bounce back.
Our bodies are amazing and you are strong.
That little tendony thing (medical term:heehee:) at out panty line in the groin bothered me alot sometimes.
As you say, 20 years of hip struggles.. and I dont doubt that I would be questioning...is this how it will be now?
But it is WAY too early for this thinking...and it WILL take time for your body to readjust to a Good Hip.

Keep the faith, and know good vibes are coming your way.
 
After your outing did you elevate and ice? When it started hurting today did you elevate and ice? Every day after I walk and go out during the day I sit and ice for hours. It helps to ice before it hurts and at 2 weeks I was icing a lot.
 
Hopefully it's just that you possibly overdid it a bit. I had groin soreness and pain with both of my THR recoveries.. my most recent (right) was sore for longer than the first one (left).
I always knew when I did too much too soon, the groin would speak up and then I would rethink my activities.
For point of reference, I think this current recovery had me feeling groin pain/discomfort up until close to 6 weeks- maybe longer.
You are right to rest and hopefully you are still icing.
It's still early days for you. I am guessing that you will feel much better in another day or two.
Hopefully you will have a good night's sleep tonight!
 
After your outing did you elevate and ice? When it started hurting today did you elevate and ice? Every day after I walk and go out during the day I sit and ice for hours. It helps to ice before it hurts and at 2 weeks I was icing a lot.
Yes, I did do that. Yes, I still am doing ice. Probably not as much as I should. Thanks for the reminder. :)
 
I had my first post-op appointment today. The Dr says no restrictions and no PT needed. I first saw the PA and I have a spot on the side of my thigh that is VERY sore/painful to touch. It looks like a scar but she didn't seem to know what it was from or why it was so sore. I go back in 6 weeks. Hopefully, that will be cleared up by then. The thigh is still numb but some better. I still get tired more easily but that is also getting better. All in all, I think I'm progressing well.
 
I still get tired more easily but that is also getting better. All in all, I think I'm progressing well.

I can sure relate to that. After a year of being very limited in what I could do between knee and hip I have a long ways to go to build up some stamina. We just have to take it slow and keep pushing little by little to add more activity.
 
Good job! I'm sorry to read about your area that is so sore. Hopefully it will be a distant memory, soon. We seem to get odd pains and sore spots with no reasonable explanation, then they disappear, just as quickly. I wish this for you, too.

You are just at around 3 weeks, so I apologize but had to giggle about your feeling tired. I think that tired feeling is going to be hanging around for several more weeks. But at least we get to enjoy some stellar naps while healing. No guilty thoughts about the naps are allowed.
In all seriousness, you sound like you are doings very well. Congratulations, @Grammy57
 
Last edited:
Good job! I'm sorry to read about your area that is so sore. Hopefully it will be a distant memory, soon. We seem to get odd pains and sore spots with no reasonable explanation, then they disappear, just as quickly. I wish this for you, too.

You are just at around 3 weeks, so I apologize but had to giggle about your feeling tired. I think that tired feeling is going to be hanging around for several more weeks. But at least we get to enjoy some stellar naps while healing. No guilty thoughts about the naps are allowed.
In all seriousness, you sound like you are doings very well. Congratulations, @Grammy57
Thank you. I guess I feel guilty because it seems my husband expects me to be better faster. He does take good care of me but I know it gets him down as it adds to what he already does. I keep reminding him it was major surgery and that I'm getting older by the minute. :)

The sore spot looks like it could have been for drainage but the PA didn't seem to know. It only hurts when touched but then, wow, it REALLY hurts.
 
He might expect you to get better faster but with this the faster you try to go and ignore your body, the slower it will happen. My husband got a little twitchy but I just ignored because I knew that if I hurried I would possibly harm myself. Time will pass and once you are able to do more, he will forget about how long it took. You know that if he needed help you would just do it all and not think about it - sometimes it is good for them to realize how much you do. Take care of you so that you can fully recover.
 
Hello @Grammy57

Glad to see you had an encouraging visit with your OS. You have gotten excellent advise here. I will only add that coming here and talking with people who have been there will help. Spouses do try to understand, but it’s nothing like spending time living in a surgery weary body. Try to think in months, not weeks. Three weeks is progress, but you will feel so much better in 3 months. Whatever you can do to continue forward, not overdoing it will serve you well in long run. Sending healing wishes your way today. Hope you have a peaceful Sunday. :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom