THR My thigh muscle is too weak

It is so funny----when one is completely well, and super busy living life, we always wish we had time to do nothing, and just relax and do whatever we want. Then when we have a self imposed rest situation, like surgery recovery, we are so restless, and eager to get back on our feet and resume that busy life style that we don't take advantage of our down time.


For me, I know part of it also was having so much pain at first, and not being able to handle the pain meds, so while I had all the time in the world, I didn't feel well enough to enjoy it. I just wanted to be further out from the surgery and feeling better so I could be more active. As Mojo33 said earlier, at about a week out, things do shift and it becomes easier to find relaxing things to do, and to be a bit more active as well, causing that early depression to lift somewhat.

Although it very likely will return again at another point, and then lift then as well. It is a very uneven process, and accepting that, as well as trying to frame the imposed rest period as a gift of time will help!
 
Is it true you cannot lie face down with anterior approach hip replacment? I just read that today and to be truthful, I have been lying like that at times during the night.
Thank you for all the help you've given me. This is not at all what I expected. Better in many ways but different.
 
:hi: Really?
Honestly, I don't see how you have found laying on your stomach comfortable...and apparently it has not caused you any distress, however I don't think it is good for that healing incision and soft tissue, and almost all the literature says not to.

You can call your OS office and see what they recommend if it is not in your take home literature.

I had a hard time picking a comfortable position at one month out, as back sleeping isn't my cup of tea, but I would err on the side of caution and just not.
Still really early days...
Continued best wishes for healing.:friends:
 
:hi: Really?
Honestly, I don't see how you have found laying on your stomach comfortable...and apparently it has not caused you any distress, however I don't think it is good for that healing incision and soft tissue, and almost all the literature says not to.

You can call your OS office and see what they recommend if it is not in your take home literature.

I had a hard time picking a comfortable position at one month out, as back sleeping isn't my cup of tea, but I would err on the side of caution and just not.
Still really early days...
Continued best wishes for healing.:friends:
My incision is on the top of my thigh, right where I lay, but it is still totally numb. I hurt more on the lateral side. I sleep with my feet hanging over the edge and we have a nice cushion/bedtopper on the bed. I don't wiggle in that position and when I turn over at all I do it very carefully. I am not one to sleep on my back either. That is more like torture. :/. I have been sleeping on my non-operated side or stomach and doing well. I just don't want to make costly mistakes.
Thanks
 
These first weeks are important and I would check before going back to stomach sleeping. Honestly, it makes me a bit nervous....
I had to put a flattish pillow under my knees to help.with the torture. I actually resigned myself to mostly sleeping in my recliner the first weeks, however I had double trouble as a bilareral.:sigh:
When do you have a postop appointment? Can you manage on your back until then?
 
Since your incision area is still numb, I would not advise sleeping on your stomach. You have no way to gauge if your putting tension on the incision or not. Your body in healing mode and you don't want to risk anything that would slow that down. I know it can be uncomfortable to try and sleep in positions that are not normal for you, but remember this is only temporary. Use pillows, take pain meds before bed....whatever it takes to get comfortable. But please stay off your stomach until your surgeon tells you it's safe to sleep that way.
 
@Grammy57 You might like to try different pillows around you to help you learn to sleep on your back. I learned to do it in a recliner using a buckwheat neck pillow around my head, but small pillows could work, too.
 
These first weeks are important and I would check before going back to stomach sleeping. Honestly, it makes me a bit nervous....
I had to put a flattish pillow under my knees to help.with the torture. I actually resigned myself to mostly sleeping in my recliner the first weeks, however I had double trouble as a bilareral.:sigh:
When do you have a postop appointment? Can you manage on your back until then?
I am surprised at how late my post op appointment is, Dec 27. I did make it on my back for a while last night. I guess it's worse because I'm a side sleeper. I do get some sleep on my non operative side and a flattish pillow between my knees. I suspect I don't sleep deeply as I'm concerned about moving my leg the wrong way. :) Thank you all for the suggestions.
 
:zzz: I know it is very hard to get those much needed Zs especially when your uncomfortable.
These first weeks can be such a trial in patience.
Hope today is a good day.:flwrysmile:
 
I do get some sleep on my non operative side and a flattish pillow between my knees

Wondering if a pillow that was fluffier as opposed to "flattish" would feel more comfortable allowing you to drift off more easily. I often sing the praises of a simple Body Pillow I bought for approx $10 at Target, but can be purchased elsewhere. It's long and runs almost the entire length of your legs. I fall asleep with mine, nightly, on my op side, between my knees with usually an arm wrapped around a good portion of it, because it's ample in length. I find it super comfy. It may be worth considering as another aid in helping you fall asleep because you really need to stay off that incision in these early days and weeks.
Happy Wednesday...hope it's a good one!
 
I do get some sleep on my non operative side and a flattish pillow between my knees

Wondering if a pillow that was fluffier as opposed to "flattish" would feel more comfortable allowing you to drift off more easily. I often sing the praises of a simple Body Pillow I bought for approx $10 at Target, but can be purchased elsewhere. It's long and runs almost the entire length of your legs. I fall asleep with mine, nightly, on my op side, between my knees with usually an arm wrapped around a good portion of it, because it's ample in length. I find it super comfy. It may be worth considering as another aid in helping you fall asleep because you really need to stay off that incision in these early days and weeks.
Happy Wednesday...hope it's a good one!
I will see if my grandson still has his body pillow. The reason I chose the flattish pillow was it is about as thick as the distance between my legs. keeps my legs apart without separating them, if that makes sense.
 
HI @Grammy57 It's hard to snag some good zzzz's, isn't it? Sadly that can last for quite some time. I think my fitful sleeping pattern lasted for at least the first 8 weeks. Sometimes it wasn't due to discomfort, either.
I just couldn't sleep :gaah:

I am thinking along the same lines as Layla in that a fluffier pillow may be beneficial, opening your legs a little bit wider while on your side will take the strain off of the muscles and tendons in that new hip area,,at least it sure helped me.
I hope you can get your grandson's body pillow.. hopefully you are napping this afternoon!
 
HI @Grammy57 It's hard to snag some good zzzz's, isn't it? Sadly that can last for quite some time. I think my fitful sleeping pattern lasted for at least the first 8 weeks. Sometimes it wasn't due to discomfort, either.
I just couldn't sleep :gaah:

I am thinking along the same lines as Layla in that a fluffier pillow may be beneficial, opening your legs a little bit wider while on your side will take the strain off of the muscles and tendons in that new hip area,,at least it sure helped me.
I hope you can get your grandson's body pillow.. hopefully you are napping this afternoon!
Thank you so much. I will try it tonight. I sure appreciate all the helpful people here! Hugs to all.
 
You were concerned how far away your post op appt was. It is 22 days after surgery. These seem to differ depending on surgeon. Mine was 1m post op. Start keeping a list of questions/concerns now for the visit. It is so handy to have a list even post op. I kept adding to the list throughout the month. I hope you get better sleep soon.
 
Thank you all for your help. I did get mostly good sleep last night. I used the king-size pillow I use in the pillow shams. I put it under my thigh and it helped me stay on my back. I think partly because it was so wide I couldn't turn over easily. I'm going to try it again tonight.

I have been up a bit more the past 2 days. I went to the basement (with help) to oversee the laundry. I was exhausted by the time I went back up (only a few minutes) but today the same trip wasn't nearly so bad. I even helped fix lunch today. Trying to find the balance of enough but not too much "exercise".
 
I was researching something else on google and came across that a restriction of Amterior is not to stomach sleep. Do the google and I'm sure you'll find it. Dislocation risks of anterior are the opposite of posterior. Also if I remember correctly no golfers bend as extending your leg rearward isn't good along with outward rotation of your leg. To be sure I would ask the OS for their recommendations, what I know comes from the internet.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom