Two and a half days and (hopefully) two more sleeps but who's counting?
Insurance thing taken care of . . . well, not taken care of but it was actually a bill for last May's (2015) SI surgery! Seems like, though I was told it was authorized by my health insurance, a portion of the surgery was considered "experimental" and not covered!! So, over a year later, with hospital and doctor's office fighting my insurance company to be paid, with nobody telling me, going through the appeal process, I get to pay the bill! So, I understand there is an appeal process for me now but?? I told the hospital that geez, they could have the parts back, since my back still hurts!! Differently, but still! That, and I got a spinal headache out of the anesthesia! Anyway, I've tucked that away and can deal with next week!
And, of course, as is usual for me, two, three days before surgery and my shoulder has not felt this good in forever! I had physical therapy on Monday, and she even noted that my range of motion took a big leap! I was only getting about 20 degrees forward and side without pain and could push 45, today, I'm getting almost 90 degrees without pain! (Well, maybe a little) Constant ache has gone from 5 to 3! Arm feels a little stronger even, dead weight feeling is almost gone replaced with just a little heavy. So, now, why am I going to do this? Do I get to forever question whether maybe, maybe I should have waited and worked a little harder?
Heck, its been 15 weeks since surgery! Eight months since it got really bad! Eight weeks since it stopped improving and took dramatic turn to hurting and little to no range of motion. Now the shoulder decides to get better?
Xray on Monday did show some deterioration of the head of humerus. But the glenoid looks fine. The surgeon did say all the right words about, yes, this was the best option to best more permanent recovery. Is this just my head doing its usual trick on me? Hips felt just great the week before surgery too. Limp went away. Back felt much better the week before surgery. But in the case of the shoulders, the therapist last week after agreeing that surgery best option, suddenly felt that maybe, maybe we could avoid surgery. But, in the case of the hips, the chiropractor said same thing!
But, I know head does play tricks on me. I know, from multiple sources online, that normal progression does lead to temporary pain free, body accommodating range of motion. I guess. Read something somewhere about if not greater range of motion than the 90 degrees then good candidate for reverse shoulder. Everything is so lined up for surgery right now rather than chancing it and having to lose years of life again. I have health insurance, I confirmed that everything has been approved for this surgery. Doctor is willing to do without sedation or general anesthesia, only regional with catheter for day or two after. He does do front incision which risks damage to major nerve to deltoid rather than a less risky back incision that is more tissue sparing and less chance of nerve damage but I guess he has his reasons. I do really respect the surgeon. My child care business is stable for the rest of summer with low enrollment of kids right age to do one more recovery. I have trained staff til the end of summer when both of my staff are planning on full time college so I will have to find and train new staff. I'm still considering closing business and take a "real" job. Biggest I guess, if I have my head wrapped around the idea of having surgery on Friday, the idea of a "short" very successful, permanent recovery. But . . .