BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

shoulder My Shoulders?!!?

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements' started by Me2, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All that means is that the damage was already advanced at that time. Or maybe it just wasn't particularly obvious then. Whatever, it would seem clear that the deterioration continued apace which is always a risk with a degenerative condition.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

United States United States
    @Me2 As I recall I only had to use a sling for about 2-3 weeks. Right after surgery it was a big bolster thing to keep arm at a particular angle - very awkward! But when i was discharged from hospital the bolster thingy was removed and I just had a regular sling. Was told to wear that 24/7 except when bathing and when doing exercises - dangle arm and swing gently plus some elbow and wrist exercises. And I started shoulder PT about 3 weeks post surgery - and kept that up for about 6 months - going in every 2 weeks to stretch benefits and doing exercises 2x per day in between visits. I was very diligent about doing the exercises and PT did help a lot. My shoulder gals were terrific and really knew their stuff! Though I did have to laugh - at first session they asked about my hip surgery and I was showing them my ROM with hips - they got a bit flustered when I put foot on knee and said "what about hip precautions? Are you supposed to do that?" I had to educated them that the precautions were only for 6 weeks and as I was then 16 months post BTHR it really was a good thing that I could do all those ROM things.

I would venture to guess that length of time in a sling depends on a) how complex the surgery is and what needs repairing and b) surgeon's preference.

What ever you and your surgeon decide to do - I wish you all the very best!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Thank you Josephine, too, that's what I kind of kI'm actually getting fairly comfortable with this idea of replacement. Deb @djklaugh thank you so much -- it sounds like shoulder replacement is not nearly as horrendous as "simple" rotator cuff repair, much more like when my hips were replaced with the recovery. :fingersx: I think I can I think I can :thumb:

Had my PT appointment and though she was encouraging with her words, she pointed out several places where my range of motion was simply limited because the humerus was rising up and out of the glenoid. :cry: So, she came up with a few more exercises that will help strengthen the areas used after replacement but encouraged me to keep up with the range of motion ones that we had worked on last time since they too will be important for good recovery. :umm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

So ten days, ten sleeps before surgery day

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

One week today I'll probably be an hour into surgery. Tough day today dealing with the idea of another surgery, another recovery. Trying to really focus on a month from now when I MAY be out of sling and toughest part of recovery over albeit lots of work to go

• Like Like x 1
  6. djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

((((( @Me2 )))) Waiting is always hard! I'll be thinking of you and holding you in my prayers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I completely understand!! That dreaded waiting is the pits. But, just listen to you talk now. Girl, you are so much stronger, more confident, wiser and calmer than when I first met you here. You have come a long, long way! I'm so proud of you. Go get 'em!!! We're gonna be her for you.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Huge blip on this mentally and physically preparing Sheryl . . . I got a bill from the hospital saying that I'll owe $2600+ for surgery as insurance has deemed it not medically necessary??? I am so certain I heard my surgeon's surgery coordinator say insurance had approved. So if this much of hospital bill not paid, how much of surgeon's bill will not be paid? I don't have that kind of money to pay for, nor can I do nothing, nor can I go with patch idea to do another recovery to hope to get use of arm.

Of course, this bill had to come on a Saturday morning when I could do nothing with it until Monday morning! The coordinator had said they would be on vacation last week so I don't know if they received any different information or not. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday at 8:45 for x-rays and measurement? I had already called last week to check to see if I would be meeting with the surgeon to ask a few questions (the list is growing) that I have the need to know, and phone person said most likely. I guess I'll find out then. Another lesson in sucking it up and being patient.

End of October last year this shoulder thing became a real problem for me . . . Almost nine months. I don't have much more in me. @Jamie your words mean so much to me as I am so much not the person I want to be through this. I really do want to be that
    person!

9. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Sheryl, my dad had a similar issue with his TKR. Saturday before his Monday TKR he received a letter saying the insurance would not approve his surgery and would not pay for it. He called the Ortho group and the on call doc dealt with it. He did have surgery on Monday and it was covered. You have some time before surgery to get this take care of, hopefully at your appointment Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Given this added "gift" at the last minute, I can certainly see why you might feel terribly exhausted with all this. But you ARE that stronger, wiser, calmer and more confident person! Anyone would be upset receiving something like this at the 11th hour.

But.....as KarriB alluded to in her post, this is something that insurance companies typically do. I can only think they believe it would deter some patients from pursuing the treatment they need and thus save them money. I'm sure your doctor's office has dealt with it before and can handle the issue. It's great that you have an early Monday appointment anyway and can get it addressed then.

Most of the time, the doctor's office will correspond with the insurance company directly and get everything ironed out before surgery takes place. One or two times, I've seen that the patient had to get involved. Your insurance company has some process for appealing a denial of service. Procedures for that are buried somewhere deep in the written policy you have with the company. It typically can involve writing a letter that details your medical need for the surgery and including any supporting letters from surgeons or other medical professionals. It's a pain to have to go through this if you have to, but you can win out. Tenacity is the key. Remember, when you're dealing with insurance personnel, these "decisions" are most likely being made by some administrative person who just has to be able to support whatever rules have been given them. If you or the doctor's office can supply that documentation, they are going to be very willing to close the matter so they can move on.

I'm betting your surgeon's office will be able to take care of all this for you. Hang in there and do something fun today to take your mind off it all.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Two and a half days and (hopefully) two more sleeps but who's counting?

Insurance thing taken care of . . . well, not taken care of but it was actually a bill for last May's (2015) SI surgery! Seems like, though I was told it was authorized by my health insurance, a portion of the surgery was considered "experimental" and not covered!! So, over a year later, with hospital and doctor's office fighting my insurance company to be paid, with nobody telling me, going through the appeal process, I get to pay the bill! So, I understand there is an appeal process for me now but?? I told the hospital that geez, they could have the parts back, since my back still hurts!! Differently, but still! That, and I got a spinal headache out of the anesthesia! Anyway, I've tucked that away and can deal with next week!

And, of course, as is usual for me, two, three days before surgery and my shoulder has not felt this good in forever! I had physical therapy on Monday, and she even noted that my range of motion took a big leap! I was only getting about 20 degrees forward and side without pain and could push 45, today, I'm getting almost 90 degrees without pain! (Well, maybe a little) Constant ache has gone from 5 to 3! Arm feels a little stronger even, dead weight feeling is almost gone replaced with just a little heavy. So, now, why am I going to do this? Do I get to forever question whether maybe, maybe I should have waited and worked a little harder?

Heck, its been 15 weeks since surgery! Eight months since it got really bad! Eight weeks since it stopped improving and took dramatic turn to hurting and little to no range of motion. Now the shoulder decides to get better?

Xray on Monday did show some deterioration of the head of humerus. But the glenoid looks fine. The surgeon did say all the right words about, yes, this was the best option to best more permanent recovery. Is this just my head doing its usual trick on me? Hips felt just great the week before surgery too. Limp went away. Back felt much better the week before surgery. But in the case of the shoulders, the therapist last week after agreeing that surgery best option, suddenly felt that maybe, maybe we could avoid surgery. But, in the case of the hips, the chiropractor said same thing!

But, I know head does play tricks on me. I know, from multiple sources online, that normal progression does lead to temporary pain free, body accommodating range of motion. I guess. Read something somewhere about if not greater range of motion than the 90 degrees then good candidate for reverse shoulder. Everything is so lined up for surgery right now rather than chancing it and having to lose years of life again. I have health insurance, I confirmed that everything has been approved for this surgery. Doctor is willing to do without sedation or general anesthesia, only regional with catheter for day or two after. He does do front incision which risks damage to major nerve to deltoid rather than a less risky back incision that is more tissue sparing and less chance of nerve damage but I guess he has his reasons. I do really respect the surgeon. My child care business is stable for the rest of summer with low enrollment of kids right age to do one more recovery. I have trained staff til the end of summer when both of my staff are planning on full time college so I will have to find and train new staff. I'm still considering closing business and take a "real" job. Biggest I guess, if I have my head wrapped around the idea of having surgery on Friday, the idea of a "short" very successful, permanent recovery. But . . .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Miss Muffet said:
    "I wouldn't recommend anyone to be tempted to wait any longer than necessary. This OA thing gallops."

Took above quote from a hip post........can I really apply lessons learned with hips to shoulders . . . I keep arguing with myself as to whether these lessons learned apply?

13. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Just meandering through my thread here,

14. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, they do apply but the big difference is that the shoulders aren't weight bearing so the results aren't quite as significant in terms of QoL and activity.

15. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

During waiting in pre-ok, wondering wondering . Checked to see if room happened to be available, not only did I get a no but a "and there are no private rooms available". Auck, never thought of that. I've never shared a hospital room always a private room.

Then when the nurse tried to start iv another failure to succeed. I sure hope these aren't little messages to run run as fast as I can!

Pretty ok with that I'm doing right thing..... just so much wish that I hadn't had the Wednesday miraculous recovery. I was simply making my best efforts to put hay out, using my left arm with right tossing small flakes when the pile went to topple so I fling my arm over and wala I can now easily move arm 90°. Then I'm able 2 times to move even higher. Still doesn't go back up all the way but...... I wish I could easily foresee a time in early fall that if it doesn't greatly improve could do it then but I don't. Do it now and hope for full recovery by fall.... I could be riding my Storm by then and working working with minimal help. Sling till the end of July, recovery work till end of August-mid storms and back to living life fully!

One hour to change my mind.... Is there a hall of shame one has to walk out of hospital when changing mind about surgery.

16. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Hmm another bad omen? It's 330. Surgery originally scheduled for 2 and postponed till 4. Just when I settled in to not wanting to live with a achy weak shoulder that I'd just believe...... Now what

17. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Waiting to hear...

18. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

All done!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  19. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Thank you for asking!

All done! Actual Surgery started at 6 and one shoulder replaced by 710!

Completed wide awake... Lots of tugging and pulling, but feeling great so far. Feeling a little better about decision, too

No pain but totally numb too so I asked about Tylenol at 2 which would be 10 hours after block but said not unless I have pain greater than 3. I did explain that the two shoulder surgeries in January and March the block wore off almost exactly at the ten hour mark and pain went from 0 to 9 in less than two minutes and I couldn't catch up and ended up taking the oxycodon and then throwing up for two days and couldn't keep track of how much pain med was staying in. Also he said usually shoulder patents get fancy ice machine but none ordered for me so.... If I need he'll have to improvise.

Actually tho the staff has been very good, professional, and floor is quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1467425674.781700.jpg