BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

shoulder My Shoulders?!!?

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements' started by Me2, Dec 12, 2015.

1. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Glad you're feeling no pain yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

:yes!: :cheers: :yes!: Delighted to hear you are on the recovery side :yay: And I hope they listen to you about the pain meds and the ice!!! IS the picture you posted of your post-op padding or were you trying to show improvised icing? What ever .... you're looking swell, dahlink!

• Like Like x 1
      • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

So super surgeon stopped in on his weekend off and said bicep still attached and should be so well healed that not affected. He did have to disconnect and reconnect the one in front.... He did name it, started with s, so hence no moving elbow out but okay up and down, hands and elbow exercises and pendulum, passive only, no more than 90°, immediately. Continue on course with left.

So very reassuring! But, staying one more day. It's okay I can do this.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
        • Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Whoo hoo!!! I'm so happy to hear you're in recovery now. So far so good. You know, I didn't care for the ice machine so much with my knees, but really, really appreciated it with my shoulder. You might check into that if it's a possibility for you. My insurance didn't cover it, but it was worth the cost and now I have one for the future. It made my shoulder much more comfortable in those early weeks.

• Like Like x 1
          • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

So, I came home on Sunday--surgery Friday, hospital so nice on Saturday. I had a double room but no one in other bed.

Nurses kept the ice coming fairly efficiently, just normal hospital ice pack but worked. It laid nicely on top of wound, and I should have had it on around arm better but probably first time they've ever had patient needing ice for shoulder surgery :what:. But, they did refill every time I asked. I was pretty determined to just use Tylenol for pain. I had asked about Exparel in wound during surgery and heard doctor discuss how much he could put in. Tylenol working fine at 625 mg every four hours until at 8:00 they said I could only have 325 as that would give maximum daily dosage of 3000 mg a day. I couldn't have any more until possibly 2:00 a.m. or maybe 6??? What??? Considered a couple options, offered quasi-narcotic which I googled and didn't like the common side effects of sleeplessness, anxiety, and upset stomach which was what I was determined to avoid. We settled for 800 mg ibuprofen to take every 8 hours alternating with the 625 mg Tylenol every 5-6 hours. Its working pretty well but can tell as it wears off.

The picture is of the bandage just after surgery. Wound not bad, will have to try to post another picture. Doc glued it shut and put a see thru tape that can get wet.....not submerged as in swimming or bath but ok for shower. Actually quite nice for the summer . . . Don't think I'm ready for laps just yet!

Let's see, I had off for our Fourth of July holiday on Monday, I was good and rested most of day. Kids and grand kids came over for picnic which husband nice enough to prepare, not quite our usual fare but was nice. Fireworks at home, first time I've ever missed going somewhere but it was raining so not to terrible to miss. Tuesday I had scheduled closed, rested most of day, but had my therapy appointment changed to Tuesday so as not to have to go during first day back to work. Therapy kept up with working left from January surgery.

I made it thru first day back to work AGAIN :tiredwheel: ...... would rather not be but I'm doing it. Hit the wall a few times......it does happen with shoulder replacement! Once had to totally muscle thru ...... but took good hour sleep middle of day. Then crashed after last little one went home at 5:30, slept til 7:30, back to sleep 8:00 to 10:30, and now back to bed at midnight. :yawn::sleep:

Oh, swelling has been pretty horrific! I'm supposed to wear sling 24/7 but as soon as ice off it swells to throbbing with sling velcro straps. Actually had loose sports bra on first night home and overnight the arm swelled from the strap digging into shoulder to sling strap. Felt like it was ready to burst! I haven't figured out how to do the elevate part of RICE???? I can't adduct the arm so any suggestions? Resting/sleeping in recliner with ice wrapped around arm and over shoulder ?

Time for bed :yawn:! I have been sleeping well and no tummy ache this time!!!!:sleep:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1467865421.926422.jpg

ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1467865453.196418.jpg

• KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Goodness! Can't believe you went back to work so soon! Take care and I hope you have an eventless recovery.

• djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

That's a nice, neat, straight scar you have there - mine looks all healed and fading but rather jagged and sort of wanders around the front of my shoulder.

I'd say wrap ice around the shoulder - or have ice packs one in front and one behind - and sleep in recliner or propped up on several pillows. I remember this stage as being rather difficult but it seemed to quickly get better as things healed up. Oh and when ever you can go without a bra :) Those straps do dig in and were really uncomfortable.

• Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

I thought the incision quite impressive myself, thank you!

At day 6, I'm considering myself feeling very little pain from surgery. I not allowed to move the shoulder to elbow yet but not much other pain yet. Just this darn swelling which is quite worrisome. I am doing wrist, elbow flexes, and hand pumps about every two hours... Reminds me of ankle pumps, foot slides, etc. of hip replacement. Aww, fond memories.

I am sleeping and resting on recliner with feet up and a pillow behind the shoulder but still seeming to swell huge especially when resting. But arm is not really elevated at all and can't without adducting. It's swelling to point of where I can usually see bones and knuckles in my hand, I only see knuckle of index finger. Hmm, also headache.

• ACDCJen

ACDCJen Senior

Sheryl,
              Glad to hear you're doing better. You must be Superwoman to go back to work already! I had my left shoulder reconstructed when I was 16. It was probably one of the more awkward ones I've had, and I completely lost my sense of balance, which was great up until the surgery! I hope you keep on the mend!

• Like Like x 1
              • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

oops! Haven't kept this thread updated. But other than much swelling which went down mostly by second-third week and no moving arm in hot sweaty sling for almost six weeks, not much pain (off of Tylenol/Ibuprofen by end of second week, maybe occasional at bed time and after PT), sleeping in bed by about third week. Elbow gets real achy from being bent position in the sling. PT was on-going, with passive arm swings and gentle massage and continuous streacccccchhhhhing. Recovery is monotonous and boring and just not able to do much. Well, woo-hoo...
                :egypdance::spin::dancy::loveshwr::yes!::happydance::happydance::happydance::yes!::roseshwr::dancy::spin::egypdance:
                I AM FREE! NO MORE SLING. My "six week'" follow up four days before six week mark was today and all is good! Doctor has release me to do PT with no restrictions, to life with gentle return to day-to-day activities. Ah, its strange that I at first thought I would miss my sling and might need to use it like a security blanket to insure that I don't break my new part ..... HA! ..... threw it in the back seat for the ride home and haven't even brought it back in the house.

Arm/shoulder feels achy tired now but, oh, I can't wait to get back to living! Range of motion still sucks and feels permanently stuck at about 40% from side in all directions but doctor could passively move about 90º. PT person stretches it and keeps her positive message that its doing well as she induces unbelievable hurting stretches -- best tip for future readers: in these early days, don't look to often how far range of motion is getting as she stretches. It is not very encouraging. Just believe. I know that day will come when she stretches it and I'll feel the table as I reach that 180º. Hip recovery was so much easier as milestones came daily! But, light at the end of this long dark tunnel

Oh, and quick check on left arm (surgery back in January) is its doing well despite the overuse for the past 18 or so weeks, despite some aches and pings of pain now and then. I asked doctor about how soon those bone spurs on the AC joint tend to grow back to start problems with rotator cuff, and he assured me that should be years and years. So ....... for now I'll believe him.

So, all good, story is not over, but . . . :beer:

• Like Like x 2
                  Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
                • djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

@Me2 :dancy: :yay: :flwrysmile: :yes!: :cheers2: Excellent update - it is wonderful to say adios to the sling isn't it?!

It's interesting to me that PT varies so much - from region to region? or person to person? My shoulder PT did not include any kind of manipulation/stretching by the PT gals - just different exercises that got more complex and strenuous as healing progressed - but if it works then all is good :egypdance:

• Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Whooo hooo!!! I'm so happy for you. You sound so much brighter and happier in your post.

You know even with my "simple" arthroscopic shoulder surgery, I was surprised at how long it took to get real range of motion and pain free movement back....MONTHS! And I was expecting something in the WEEKS category. I guess we are all human and for ourselves, our expectations are always for less time than it really takes.

• mystikfairy61

mystikfairy61 Graduate

@Me2 Sheryl, I now see what you meant when we talked about the part I had read was just part of it. Whew makes me tired just reading it. Seeing and reading what you have been thru has made what I am facing that much more acceptable, although any idea of surgery is not my idea of a picnic at least I know what I am facing with not only your help but others on here as well is doable. Thanks for taking time out of your day to talk to me today and help calm me toward the surgery that lies ahead for me. I am forever grateful!!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

Shoulder recovery is sloooooooow but steady. At nine weeks, I finally hit some recognizable milestones!

Wait for it, wait for it, here it come, BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ...... On Tuesday, August 30, 2016, with my right hand,

:dancy::dancy::spin::spin::wow::spin::spin::dancy::dancy:

I touched the top of my head!!!! :yes!:

:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::wowspring::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
                    I really did hear trumpet blasts! It was a struggle on Tuesday and by Friday, though the arm still feels weak, I could easily get it up and actually do really neat things like hold brush to run it kind of over hair, kind of wash hair, and even scratch an itch on right side of head!! :wink: I was also able to drink cup of coffee, feed my self almost whole meal, AND put a small dish on bottom shelf. :yes: I can put on and take off loose fitting clothes almost kind of normal but don't really have to struggle too hard.

Unfortunately, as I am using the right arm/shoulder more, I am noticing more of a constant ache but assuming its just from using it. Physical therapist has been very encouraged, encouraging, and impressed with my recovery. Still does feel so good massage, stretching that is now not so blindingly painful and actually feels good and usually gains me another couple of degrees in all directions, and holds me back on doing too much too soon. Reminds me I want a stable joint with parts of rotator cuff that are still good to stay intact and get stronger. In other words, she must have borrowed an iron skillet from someone!

So on the shoulder front - all's well and getting better! :SUNsmile: Happy Labor Day from Pittsburgh, PA!

• Like Like x 2
                    • bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

• djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

:yahoo: :dancy: :egypdance: YEAH for terrific milestones :yes!: :flwrysmile: :yay: So glad to hear you are steadily improving :friends:

• Grannyhippy

Grannyhippy Member

Australia Australia
                      Yaaaaaay. Another milestone. Great going. Keep it up.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Me2

Me2 Post-Grad

So another couple of milestones....

I saw my shoulder surgeon last week and he was quite pleased with progress! Showed him my newest trick of patting myself on the head... Impressive! He cleared me to do whatever activities I chose with the caveat that if you fell before replacement parts and broke a bone that would be bad. However, break bone around implant, it's really bad. BUT, he assumes I had the surgery to get beck to living SO get back to living! Good answer! I got it. I hoped to get my first horseback ride in this weekend... It was raining! So, not worth the risk. I will wait until the next gorgeous fall day THAT will be worth the risk and the wait. Oh my, could that be me? What patience I've learned.

I can also lift two small dishes to first shelf, on small coffee cup to second shelf. I can drive fairly normally. Sleep is getting better. Still wake up but only once. Oh oh I went grocery shopping ALONE and cut grass!

Not bad for about 11 weeks after shoulder replacement!

• Like Like x 3
                        • djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

Excellent, @Me2 :dancy: I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and the shoulder is getting better and better:flwrysmile:

Hope your gorgeous fall day comes along very soon so you can get back to riding:horseriding:

• Like Like x 1