Reverse Shoulder Replacement My Shoulders?!!?

Oh, we're not doing replacement either. Doctor says much too young for that. We are doing an arthroscopic subscapularus (sic) reconstruction and open biceps tendon reattached. So...... Not totally bionic.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 I know you can, I know you can, I know you can :wave: Our joints sure do like to play tricks on us don't they ( re being without pain while waiting to sign in for surgery :snork: ) .... No MRIs don't lie ..... and reputable surgeons do not schedule unneeded surgeries!

Best wishes to you for a return to all the things you love to do - as quickly and as completely as possible :prayer:
 
So, I survived another surgery, awake and aware as requested. Even in a medium sized hospital! I'm not sure why shoulder surgery is done as outpatient but it is. It certainly kicked my butt much more than either hip or back surgeries.

Even tho no sedation and only regional block (given in the neck, yikes), I've had nausea and vomiting since surgery.

And now I'm an official pain wimp...... Nothing needed once home for hip surgeries.... I've been by the clock alternating Tylenol and oxycodon. Since I've not been managing pain taking them every six hours, doctor said okay even to take every four hours. Every five hours seems to be working.

Tho I remind myself it's only been two days and I am moving about a little and visiting with family. I had planned on being at least in the room with my little ones in the child care since we had St. Patrick's Day celebration on Thursday and a birthday on Friday but I couldn't do it...I waved from our balcony.

I saw the surgeon today for first follow up.... Looks good..... He decided once he was in there to do a rotator cuff repair with 8 anchors. Says he felt I would ultimately get better range of motion and strength than with patch. I was a little concerned about that as I had read that a patch performed better than replacement but not as good as successful repair. Tho he has said quicker recovery with patch so I guess I'm back to repeating the time frame from left shoulder. I can handle it just hoping for ultimate success.


I think I can I think I can!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Shoulders?!!?





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh my oh my how WONDERFUL!!!

Just one week ago today I was starting on the pre-surgery fast and all packed up and head prepared for surgery. AND the shoulder is feeling FINE!!. Last night was actually fairly comfortable night sleep. I think one of the first since October! Still a bit tender, and I actually remember waking up enough to realize that I had repositioned my body WITHOUT excruciating pain. ONLY ONE WEEK and I'm in much less pain than before surgery. Lol lol lol and a grin from ear to ear. On iPhone so no access to icons.

Still nauseated totally unfortunately but it is starting to go away. I hope. Got really constipated from oxycodone, I'm guessing, but have been eating plenty of prunes, not enough but finally I think got rid of some of that and will work on sneaking up on food. I'm thinking perhaps body did not like massive dose of antibiotics given pre-surgery since that's when nausea started.

Getting dressed is still a process as is everything with right dominant arm immobilized but most of the adaptations learned last shoulder surgery are transferring over.... Such as one armed hair styling. Made a like easier as range of motion and strength on left side is not totally back but not too bad either... And no horrible limiting do anything to avoid painful, not really painful at all. Oh I can see the light at the end of this!! So happy!

I just may have a life again!

Happy Spring!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh I can see the light at the end of this!! So happy!
Gosh, you have really been through the surgical ringer my friend. So happy to read this! Well done!
 
Argh! Help! Finally I'm STARVING..... How do I get enough food fast enough left handed and over the sling and not sandwiches cause gluten free diet????


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think you will eventually be more agile with that left hand. I have a friend who taught himself to play squash and tennis left handed as the arthritis in his right shoulder was ruining his game. He is one fantastic squash player. Failing that - milkshakes or smoothies?
 
Argh! Help! Finally I'm STARVING..... How do I get enough food fast enough left handed and over the sling and not sandwiches cause gluten free diet????


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I know its not funny but when I broke my Right shoulder, I really had no problem with pretty much anything, then this past spring when I fell and broke my left wrist, it was horrible!
I always thought I was right handed ambidextrous, as I could use either hand "or so I thought", but when I broke my left wrist? I now think I'm left handed LOL.. I couldn't hardly do anything..
 
I've really totally failed at keeping this post up to date but hope to make up for it today -- the first day I can actually use two hands to use computer. :type: I hope NEVER to go back to not being able to use right hand again. Eating, brushing teeth, fixing hair, going to the bathroom (TMI), scratching your right side, but ESPECIALLY using a computer: typing or using the mouse is not impossible but a totally tedious task! :unsure: I've missed the encouragement of fellow BoneSmart friends and feel a lot sad about not having the record of my recovery for myself but also for others looking for information about similar surgeries and recoveries. :sad: I promised I would but failed :skep: so .... :umm:

I did post first week just a bit about finding it frustrating to eat -- but also this surgery HURT A LOT! BUT, I promise myself I will never ever use oxycotin or any other narcotic again! Tylenol for me. I really don't think it helped enough to warrant the side effects - at least for me. Hopefully no more surgeries, for awhile, if ever but . . .:fingersx: :cry:

Second and third week after surgery was just more of the same as first week, actually little pain, no range of motion especially as I was scripted with immobilizing sling 24/7 with a pillow holding arm at 90° angle and about 10 cm away from body. :sigh: I was psychologically somewhat better knowing :thumb: that I got through first time and no longer had this shoulder pre-surgery pain, only recovery ache and inconvenience. The sling and pillow are bulky, gets in the way and really makes feeding self more difficult as I was then about 20cm away from plate and table! :what: I'm gluten free so sandwiches aren't really option but found, :idea: when dining alone, I could use my fingers to eat even a salad, better than a fork. But, then I was not really wanting to eat as still nauseated and having upper stomach upset/pain. Hindsight, I'm thinking reaction to Celebrex rather than or in addition to pre-surgery antibiotic. I didn't need anything but the Tylenol and only when I was heading to therapy as directed by PT so I would be able to do the PT. I was totally back to work second week with the preschoolers, toddlers, and babies (including 3 days with my new 3 month old grandbaby) I figured out even how to teach my new grandbaby how to take a bottle which being a nursing baby and first experience with child care he had not done yet. :tada:

Fourth and fifth week brought freedom from pillow :happydance:and being allowed to PASSIVELY hang arm down for a bit in the evening. :yes!: But, it didn't hang down passively. In fact, it didn't passively move too far our of position in the sling! :yikes: Scary, scary, of course -- I was sure it would never unbend. Surgeon assured me that arm would be straight soon in that it was straight, of course, when he fixed it, but that, since he had to really dig deep and thru adhesions and scar tissue for the bicep muscle since it had detached long ago, :scare: my upper arm was quite traumatized and was still healing. :console2:Even assuming the "passive" would include having sling off to do computer work didn't work well. Each key stroke hurt and even ten minutes ached ferociously! (So there's my excuse) Still pretty exhausted after working 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. days,:tiredwheel: but I make it through the days. :zzz: Usually went to bed about 8-9 a.m. in recliner but woke 3-4 times a night about every three hours. :yawn: Not too bad, I had to get out of bed to get my drink of sleep tea, sometimes go to the bathroom, and get back to sleep in recliner in under half hour. About fifth week, I began sleeping in bed for first time in forever. Not well but not impossible, with same sleep/wake cycle. :sleeep:

Oh, and at fourth week, I stopped taking even the Celebrex as I was getting ferocious ringing in my ears and googled and found Celebrex serious side effects included rapid weight gain (had gained ten pounds since surgery), swelling (rings still didn't fit), so I stopped the Celebrex and started aching pretty good in both shoulders and :censored::bricks::hairpulling: my back quite ferociously.

Surgeon mentioned that in the past he would not even have immobilized with pillow or for as long as in current practice (not sure if he was referring to his military practice time or European time as his first ten years of practice was head of orthopedics in German as Air Force doctor) triggered me googling. :idea: At the ShoulderDoc website it has some pretty good medical research articles with one discussing the better healing of shoulders NOT IMMOBILIZED since tissue/bones heal better and faster when used. I thought this interesting considering @Jamie 's experience with her shoulder healing. :wow:

So that brings me to week 6! YES! :loveshwr::happydance::happydance::loveshwr: Free from sling and restrictions!!!! (mostly) This Wednesday, started the work and PAIN part of recovery. Doctor thoroughly check at appointment. Other appointments were quick: peak at bicep incision, making sure fingers had feeling (I guess) and alls well. This appointment he had me show him range of motion in left arm from first surgery (all the way above my head - stiff and slow but up there :yay::wave:). Strength, there but weak as expected. With right arm, he showed me how twisting fist, I could make reattached bicep muscle "pop" and know that it was really attached. :egypdance:Noticed and said the tenderness across top of shoulder would last probably 4-6 months. :yes: He indicated confidence that I would regain full range of motion and strength from repairs. Totally released from sling and to DO therapy! :egypdance::spin::dancy:

PT for shoulders is not for the weak or faint hearted. :dubious: If I didn't have full faith and confidence from a now nine month relationship with Krissy the miracle worker therapist that I've been working with twice weekly since after the SI surgery, I would have not let her touch me after the first two minutes!!! :sos: :bolt: I was freed from the sling on Wednesday morning and had therapy appointment Thursday morning. In 24 hours, my shoulder ached horrible from just "hanging." :cry: Straightening elbow caused blinding pain. :sorry: AND SHE was "gently" massaging tissue and slowly stretching arm straight! :scaredycat: She moved the arm to rest at side then on its own weight drop to table -- only took about twenty minutes first time I tried at home and then only after I fell asleep. She did other gentle but excruciatingly painful stretches but now after four days of exercises I can do what I couldn't do well since March 16 (and somewhat since November 8):
  • pick up fork and feed myself
  • pick up coffee cup; even somewhat pour myself said coffee :cheers:
  • brush teeth
  • pull my own pants up using two hands (with a great deal of difficulty)
  • hold a brush almost to my head and pretend to do something with it
  • TMI - wipe my self with right hand
  • walk with it at my side instead of held up which she threatened would make recovery that much longer
  • as you see here, I can use almost back to normal, not painful at all, at computer, both keystrokes and mouse!!
  • starting to be able to get dressed somewhat normally with clothes over head rather than from feet up which I found much easier. I could and should do whole post about clothing and shoulder surgery.
    • coats go over arm; not worth putting in sleeve
    • housecoats included
    • hoods keep sling off of neck but turtle necks and bulky sweaters work too
    • button down shirts did not work for me
    • long sleeves are essential to keep sling from rubbing
  • put hay out for the horses, one flake at a time!
Still I can't but there is hope:
  • TMI - wash and shave arm pits - they get disgusting!! Forget shaving, but a sprayer on shower provides absolutely necessary "power washing"
  • wash hair with two hands
  • pick up anything even as heavy as a gallon of milk
  • stay up past 9 p.m. even with hour or two nap but I do sleep deeper and longer without the nap
  • neck still traumatized from sling but feeling a little better (but I do have very stiff, no range of motion neck since about 2000 from arthritis)
  • brush horses with either hand (not nearly enough strength)
So, enough for now, I'll be back to visit later. :friends: :sneaker:
 
@Me2 My friend with all that you have been dealing with no wonder you haven't posted as often! Sounds like you have really had a tough time not to mention the pain involved. Thanks for taking the time to update. Here's hoping that Still can't list gets shorter and shorter with time. Take care of yourself!
 
Way to go @Me2 :yay: You've come a long way :wowspring: Yup shoulder PT is not for the faint of heart but it sure sounds like you are managing that fairly well. I'm delighted to see you posting again with 2 hands no less :eyebrows:
 
Glad to hear things are getting better @Me2 You sure have been through the surgery mill. Hope things continue to improve....cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow....I so appreciate all the details you put in your latest post! I know this must seem like a snail's pace recovery, but I think you're doing really well. Remember that I just had arthroscopic surgery and not a replacement, so that's at least part of why I was able to get back to motion very quickly. My surgeon indicated that recovery from a replacement is just about what you describe and he also has some period of time with the shoulder in a sling.

Hope you can continue to let us know how you're doing. You do such a great job of describing what you're experiencing and it's VERY helpful for those of us who will eventually have a shoulder replacement.
 
Updating at just about two years after shoulder pain first started when taking off clothes over head, just over a year from first shoulder incident when doing chest compression in a CPR class, and just over six months from second shoulder incident when installing children's car seats resulted in tyrannosaurus rex arms, 16 weeks post first left shoulder surgery and 8 weeks after second right shoulder surgery. 25 and 18 months since hip surgeries, almost 12 from SI surgery

:swoon: Suffice to say that these shoulder developments have caused a major interruption to my seemingly hugely successful hip surgeries and a definite interruption to dealing with back pain. :dead: Probably too much Negative Nelly but really trying to be a Positive Patty!

Let's see, the left just has general too hard of work out feeling, stretched bicep muscle which twinges every once in a while when I use it, top of shoulder sensitive but not painful. The right, the reattached bicep muscle still burns and feels tight most of the time, the back of shoulder ACHES and doesn't activate easily, the elbow burns like HELL when I do stretches for PT - but it does straighten easily in daily activities. I have difficulty keeping the right arm relaxed which causes pain but focusing on not tensing. I take 650 milligrams Tylenol before therapy and some days, I know I should probably take more often but I had back injections scheduled and not supposed to take so I can more accurately rate their effectiveness. Celebrex seemed to have helped but not worth stomach upset or ringing in ears.

So, I'm hoping and praying that the aching and painful status of shoulders is due to the tremendous amount of work being done through physical therapy. I'm still doing about an hour a day mostly stretching and some strengthening exercises - woohoo, I can lift two pounds straight left arm raise, four pounds bicep curl, "circles," and "punches." I can raise left arm to shoulder height with two pound weight but cannot raise right arm even hip high with no added weight. Krissy does around a half hour of range of motion stretches and massage - most of it about a 9 on pain scale (the intensity that makes you close your eyes, focus on taking a breath, not passing out, seeing colors, hoping the arm stays attached only to peek and see it only about 3/4 range of motion :scaredycat:

In actual life, the left arm can lift over the head with some difficulty but I can! I can pick up 2-3 plates to put on shelf about shoulder height. I can pour coffee or gallon of milk with some difficulty. I am able to pick up my one year old fairly comfortable and hold the three month old easily. I ache enough after about 5-10 minutes to need to either support arm or put baby down. I'm actually only able to lift the upper part of my right arm about three inches off body to side or forward, and I can barely pick up and carry one plate but with just a bit of difficulty I can drink a cup of coffee or water. At this point after first shoulder surgery, I could drive easily. Maybe because this is right side, I still have difficulty driving even short distances and avoid doing so. I have to use both hands to shift even my automatic car and my right hand does not raise to top of steering wheel. I do feel I can use both hands on steering wheel sufficiently on most trips to be safe but have turned around and come back home. Computer work is easy with left side but still a challenge leaving me achy with right -- same with writing. Iphone is still incredibly heavy to carry in right hand. Scratching head, fixing hair is still tough with left, almost impossible with right

Getting dressed is still a challenge on both sides, thank goodness summer is here and long sleeves will soon be a thing of the past. Sleeping is also "challenging." I've been trying different ways but still end up in recliner or nested in three pillows and waking often. This week, I found a support pillow for $100 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Bed-Pillow-Support-System-Shoulder/dp/B012YDAN5C/?tag=ate362da-20 I am so very tempted but hoping this will be over soon. I have gladly invested in pulleys and bands to do PT at home, but hesitate to put this much into sleep pillow. :sleep:, someday.



I'm really trying to be positive. :scratch: I don't know if its hard because shoulders have hurt for so continuously so long, recovery is slow and demanding :tiredwheel:, or because back is increasingly painful again/still :cry:, if I am overwhelmed because hands are getting more signs of carpal tunnel (still keep hoping the numbness is nerves recovering from shoulder issues but realizing probably not), if the lack of good sleep for such a long period), stress, or that sneak niggling awareness that my right knee is just not right when going up and down steps , standing up :blackcloud:. . . probably the combination of all of the above. :bricks::censored:

Josephine indicated that I had to wait to June to worry about successful recovery and I had hoped for April :whistle:now, to be honest, June is looking pretty good -- I will be so happy for shoulders feeling pretty good in June - why its only 16 days away!!!!! :dubious: I am thinking some of my goals are still forever off: getting up and down from horse :fasthorse:,
kayaking :kayak:, heck I'd just love to get back in the water to swim :swim:!
 
Hoping June is the magic date for your shoulder to start feeling better.
I looked at the 100.00 pillow, the reviews were mixed at best.
Looks like a bed wedge, hollowed out for your shoulder and arm. Depending on how good you are with an electric carving knife, you might be able to buy a foam bed wedge and cut it out for your shoulder.
 
@Me2 I, too, hope that June is the month that sees your shoulder feeling oh so much better! :prayer: Great up date and terrific use of emoticons :thumb:.

I agree with @Pumpkln about the pillow - too expensive with those mixed reviews. Experiment with putting other regular pillows under different body parts - like one under your side below armpit and two under your head - so weight is not directly on your shoulder.

I know shoulder PT is intense! Been there, done that. But given what you said about pain levels I do wonder if perhaps it is being a bit too intensive at this point in time. Not being a PT, nurse, doctor or any other kind of orthopedic health professional I can't really say. Have you seen your surgeon again recently?

Think of you and adding my prayers :angel: for shoulder healing and ASAP resumption of all your favorite and needful activities :loveshwr:
 
I wouldn't panic yet about carpal tunnel--I have some numbness off and on in my hands and occasionally some pain in my elbows--PT says either could be from my neck or my shoulders. As to pain of PT--my guy definitely does not believe in pain!!!! Exercises are as gentle as necessary, and he is constantly asking me if it is "too much" while doing my mannual therapy. Think about it--if the idea is to loosen things up and increase rotation, how can that possibly happen when you are tensing because of pain?? As to getting off and on a horse, yes, that can be a bit of a challenge, but with a helper to put on the saddle and to hold the horse and a good step ladder for you, it is certainly doeable. I have my girl trained to sidle up to a rather high flat rock for mounting and dismounting.:horseriding:
 
So, 10 weeks after right shoulder surgery and 18 weeks after left shoulder surgery. Right shoulder still aches most of the time while the left shoulder feels pretty good with occasional twinges in bicep muscle. I can
  • lift left straight up in front to my head and even put it behind head; only straight lift right side about 7 inches either direction
  • left can go behind to waist high with little bit of pain/restriction; right side not at all
  • lift straight out to side to almost shoulder height
  • do PT stretching every which way, some I'm certain shoulder never really meant to go in :heehee:; left barely uncomfortable; right being stretched is very, very painful
  • carefully pour half a gallon of milk with left; hurts and really can't pour with right
  • not much progress in strength -- ok on left holding infant with support under arm, a little difficult to hold very tiny one year old; right can use to steady child but not to support any weight;
  • during PT, using 2 pound weight for left straight arm exercises and 5 pound for bicep strengthening; still can't do either on the right with no weight
  • still challenging to dress, but can do somewhat normally with left side and accommodating right side
  • sleeping: I did get pillow but will return today via Amazon as it doesn't work; sleeping on couch is pretty good, going to try bed again tonight with new normal pillow
  • tried some light week pulling but didn't work either arm
  • opening doors with a knob works fairly well with left but have to use body to push
  • opening car doors still impossible with either arm
  • can open bottles better with left still almost impossible with right
Krissy, my physical therapist, seemed quite concerned last visit with lack of progress on right. Her concern seemed to arise when I again attempted straight arm raises with right arm and failed. She lifted arm and asked me to hold it and I yelped in extreme pain and failed. So, I don't know. @Josephine ,
Exercises are as gentle as necessary, and he is constantly asking me if it is "too much" while doing my mannual therapy. Think about it--if the idea is to loosen things up and increase rotation, how can that possibly happen when you are tensing because of pain?

I know PT was not at all necessary for hips, but what about shoulders? It is getting really expensive and time consuming. Is it necessary? After the SI surgery, she really helped me learn to stand and walk "right" but it certainly didn't end my back problems although I do walk much differently than before. So, is PT neccessary for shoulders? Should it be painful? @Jamie how is your PT? Remember mine was "just" major rotator cuff repair with AC joint clean up, bone spurs removed and some degenerative changes to humerus head noted.
 
I know PT was not at all necessary for hips, but what about shoulders?
For shoulders it is absolutely essential since the very high risk is a frozen shoulder.

But which was done most recently, the left or the right? Your signature just lists two RC repairs. Assuming it was your right shoulder done in Jan, I'd say that for 4 months you are pretty much on target. The entire process can take upwards of a year!

I believe Jamie only had a debridement and not a RC repair which is a different case altogether.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom