BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by CPH, May 22, 2019.

1. CPH

CPH junior member

United States United States
    Tomorrow Marks 3 weeks since my RTHR, so thought I’d post a recovery update.

So after great progress the first week and a half, I developed pain in my thigh and then swelling that moved from my thigh to my ankle over the course of a few days. Then swelling went away as did the thigh pain. PT progressed well and no problems and leg was getting stronger. My exuberance with my progress led me to vacuum the house....big mistake and paid for it the remainder of the day and the next, but ice and elevation helped. I am using a cane and working with the PT, who is excellent and not pushing me too much, on incorporating some new exercises to help me condition the muscles needed to walk unassisted. Well yesterday I walked around the house a bit just holding my cane in case I needed it. Pain when full weight bearing was maybe a 3. Later in the day I went to Costco and walked a lot and pushed the cart (sort of used it like a walker). Got home and apparently again overdid it again and had to ice and rest the remainder of the day. Today I am taking it easy at home and not pushing it.

Moral of the story, don’t let your enthusiasm for making progress lead you to do too much too soon, because you will pay for it afterward. I suspect everyone has this happen at some point and it’s a bit depressing when it does and you have a bad day or two recovering. I am still trying to figure out the right balance between pushing forward and holding back.

Post op appt & X-ray is next week, so hopefully will get a thumbs up that all is well. Have a great day everyone!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@CPH Good to see your update but sorry to see you joined the ODIC (over did it club)! The vacuuming and Costco trip was just enough to make you a member. It probably didn't seem too bad when you were doing it but then boom. It is hard to find the right balance but you'll get there! If you check out the Activity Progression link that Pumpkin sent you (2nd post of your recovery thread), you're a little ahead of the game. Just get your rest while you can, slow and steady. Overall it sounds like you're doing well! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. CPH

CPH junior member

Re-read the post you referenced. Great reminder!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@CPH, I just re-read it too and I noticed at 4 weeks it says you can vacuum the "middle of your living room", :rotfl:. I guess I read it too fast when I vacuumed the first time!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

@CPH You are 1 week ahead of me. I'm still using my walker, but I'm not sure if it's walking me or I'm walking it. :heehee: plus all the bags tied to it with my stuff and what will I do without it??? :heehee: I'm showering, making my own bfast, lunch, and even my supper last night. I still am stiff and have sore spots. I get tired really fast and am not sleeping good yet.
    I could see myself vacuuming just the middle of the room:heehee:, no I would keep going like you. We want to get back to normal, understandable. Ugggg. I want to wash some windows inside while my husband does the outside....oh I see so many things I want to do...but my fatigue keeps me grounded so far...probably a good thing. You are doing great going shopping.....:SUNsmile: even tho you kind of rushed into it. Human nature....takes over and then :ice:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. HipsterKat

HipsterKat junior member

Yep, all too true! Taking an ice break right now after being in the office all day.

• Like Like x 1