BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by CPH, May 22, 2019.

1. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

United States United States
    Thanks for the update and glad things are going so well!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. CPH

CPH member

@Layla thank you for the reminder. With the knee being so tight, not every exercise feels good, so I’m kinda skipping or doing fewer of those. I don’t mind being tired at night before bed, but not to the point I’m in pain. I’ve decided to ramp up on the longer walking, not just double it from one day to the next. Slow and steady wins the race!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good to hear, I think you've got it!
    You're doing so well, I'd hate to see you take any steps backwards.
    Consider icing preventively after any exercising also....if you're not already.
    @CPH

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

All I can say is :wowspring:you are doing fantastic! You are seriously amazing me, you seem to be bouncing back like nothing major happened. So cool. Just please make sure you remember the slow and steady approach, even when the cabin fever starts setting in or the dust. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CPH

CPH member

Ok, have to post an addendum! Today is a gorgeous sunny Southern California day - 78 degrees and clear skies. Decided to venture out of the house. We live on a circle type street, one lap is 1/4 mile. Since PT cleared me to walk more, I decided to give it a go on the cane. Managed to get my pre-tied walking shoes on by myself, shorts and straw hat on and do the 1/4 mile loop. Woo hoo! No problem! Took it very slow - took 20 minutes, but what a glorious 20 minutes it was with the warm sun and smell of jasmine! And best of all NO HIP PAIN!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ForumUser

ForumUser member

Yay!!

Freedom!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Layla

Good for you! That's awesome. Picture perfect day and lovely scenery...can't beat that!
    @CPH

• Like Like x 1
  8. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are doing very well!! :yes!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:egypdance: Great to hear how well you are doing.
    Isn't it just wonderful to know that once this heals, you shall be cured of that horrid hip pain!
    And some good old Vitamin D therapy is what kept me sane...but do be careful.
    It is super easy to overdo things at this point.
    Lots of energy is being used to heal all that soft tissue trauma.
    You are on your way, my friend.:tada:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

:SUNsmile: Amazing milestones already! Transferring to cane and a solo walk outside! Very happy for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Wow, what a beautiful post and pic! Truly amazing for one week!!! :shocked: That is totally fantastic, I'm speechless......obviously because I couldn't have come close to doing that! Keep it up but don't over do it! :yahoo:

• Like Like x 3
  12. CPH

CPH member

Day 8 update: so far so good, but muscles are experiencing some soreness. Not from surgery, but from being more active. Walked a half mile in 2 outings yesterday with cane. Quads feel worked, but again not pain, just some soreness since they were so underutilized the past year...same for calf. Prickly feeling at incision site is subsiding, but getting a bit of puffiness that PT says is normal around knee, calf and ankle. It had been in thigh and above knee, but moved lower. Have not developed any bruising and quarter sized bruise near incision is turning yellow, so thinking I’m in the clear for bruising. Can almost sleep on my side...getting less uncomfortable to do so, so thinking in a week or so I may be able to do it through the night. Today, my mom is going to take me grocery shopping as we are having a small BBQ this weekend. Making a shopping list so won’t be out long and may use the shopping scooter as the store is pretty big. Getting that heavy leg in and out of bed is getting easier with only a little pain when I have to lift it up unsupported. Still icing. Have a great weekend Everyone!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Layla

Hello :wave: @CPH Happy Friday to you!
    You may be good on the bruising, but don't be alarmed if some still shows up. I had some new bruising
    show up 17 days post op. All part of the process I was informed.
    Have a fun weekend and enjoy the BBQ! :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Sounds like you're coming along nicely. Have fun at the grocery and try not to overdo at the cookout this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CPH

CPH member

Day 10: so feel like I’ve hit a wall. Progressed very well for 1st week. Doing basic PT exercises (nothing very difficult). However, I can’t seem to overcome that heavy log leg feeling. Also for past 3 days I have a pain above my knee and at the top of my thigh. The pain seems to run horizontal in those 2 spots and hurt when walking or lifting my leg. No pain at hip, no incision pain or prickly feel. Still elevating and icing as I’ve had a little bit of swelling. Hoping this is just muscle pain from using muscles that were underutilized prior to THP. Any thoughts on this? @Josephine?

On a positive note, we had a small family BBQ yesterday and I Managed to bake a pie, do a couple of side dishes, and set the patio table. Felt great to do normal things. Except for the specific pain I mentioned, I’m able to completely take care of myself, minus driving. Good thing because hubby is headed to Minnesota for 3 days on business, so on my own 24/7 for a few days.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  16. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Wow, you have been having fun...I hope the muscles calm back down again. It doesn't seem like you did too much, maybe just muscles waking up again....

17. CPH

CPH member

Day 12 PO: still have some thigh pain above the knee and below the hip, but been doing some isometric type exercises for those muscles the past 3 days and it feels better/stronger today.. P T came yesterday and said not to worry, especially since those muscles are still waking back up. I am almost to the point of being able to sleep on my side. Actually slept on non operative side for about 4 hours last night, I don’t quite have my pillows right so back got uncomfortable. Log leg is improving too, so feeling more encouraged that the healing process is getting back on track after a few days of what seemed like limited progress. PT said that my gait looks good and Asked if my legs felt even. I can’t notice a difference at this point. Incision is healing great, can’t wait until the Dermabond sloughs off. My sister in law is popping over with lunch, so will be a nice break from the boredom of not being able to get out and about like I normally do. Have a great day everyone!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

Glad to hear that everything is healing nicely! I’ve tried sleeping on both sides, but think I have turned myself into a back sleeper for life at this point. Have fun with your SIL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

It sounds like you're doing pretty well if you did all of that for your BBQ. Lucky you didn't have to do a lot of resting after that. Standing in the kitchen prepping and cooking always made me achy & sore but I didn't even attempt the cooking at 10 days! :swoon:

20. ForumUser

ForumUser member

Agree with all ... you’re doing great. What you’ll feel is a bit better each day now ...then you’ll be surprised one day soon when you forget about the surgery while doing something like walking and talking with someone ...