BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by CPH, May 22, 2019.

1. CPH

CPH member

United States United States
    PT just left. Did vitals, house check, made me show him I could get in/out of bed, looked at my incision...said looked good and was smaller than most he sees (yay!). Checked on how well I could do exercises they gave me at the hospital and since no problems gave me the next set a (standing ones) but with reminder not to over do them and ice/elevate for at least 20 minutes afterward to prevent swelling. He raised my walker height 2 notches so I wouldn’t hunch over. I can actually walk w/o any assistance device for a short distance, but he wants me to stay on the walker so I develop a straight gait. He said until the legs feel mostly even, you tend to lean with the cane. Said to stay with the walker for at least a couple of weeks before moving to the cane exclusively. Ok...now for sleeping on side tonight. Will report back tomorrow on that one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

3. CPH

CPH member

Great advice. I have special knee pillows I used before surgery which align me pretty well. Tried it 1st night home but hip just wasn’t having it, so last 2 nights I’ve slept on back with 3 pillows and the wedge from the hospital. Will try side again tonight, but if it’s still not comfortable, will wait until it is. Dr. Gave 2 restrictions...no crossing legs at knees for 3 months and if it doesn’t feel good, don’t do it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Layla

I didn't have enough courage to try side sleeping for the first two months. You're brave at only 3 days post op.
    Really missed it too as it's my preferred way to fall asleep.
    I still don't cross my legs, just got out of the habit from not being able to do it pre-op. I couldn't even put my legs completely together, knee touching knee pre-op. Having the ability to do that again is awesome since women sitting with their legs apart isn't our best look :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@CPH
    You are really moving along well in your recovery. Everyone has their own pace and you seem to be on the fast track. Its wonderful to hear....:yay:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. CPH

CPH member

So lucky I only had one bad hip and knee pain went away with surgery. I know It would be much more difficult if I didn’t have a good hip to rely on when I need it. So have the utmost respect for those dealing with multiple joint issues. My PT reiterated what others have stated over and over. We are all different ages, in different conditions going into surgery, different tolerances for pain and medication, different attitudes, fears, doctors, etc...so every person has to think in terms of themselves and what is normal for you. I have always recovered from surgeries/medical procedures/illness on the quick side of the averages, so would have been disappointed if this time was different. We all know ourselves best and should gauge progress accordingly. I love this site because I knew no one who has had a THR and loved knowing the good, bad and ugly so no matter what happened (good, bad or ugly) I’d have a community full of support.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Plenty of support for sure @CPH! It's always so wonderful to hear such excellent progress and at just 3 days post-op! :thumb: We are all so different that it's hard to find any 2 recovery posts on here that are the same. Congrats and enjoy your weekend! :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ForumUser

ForumUser member

Interesting to see how different systems handle PT - I was asked the week prior to surgery if I wanted PT. Told them only if it was recommended.

I saw surgeon long enough for him to peruse my chart and sign the correct hip prior to surgery. His PA dropped by morning after and asked me if I was OK ... said yes and checked out. Haven’t heard from them since

Will see them on Wednesday ...guess they figure no news is good news ...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! post-grad

What an excellent recovery you are having. That's wonderful. All of that sleep so soon is incredible!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CPH

CPH member

Day 5 Post Op: promise not to post every day, but thought I would do so for most of first week. So still sleeping fine, except husband snored a bit last night so woke up once. Was not able to sleep on my side last night...did not hurt, just felt tight and uncomfortable even with knee pillow, so slept on back again. PT Introduced new knee/thigh exercises which felt great to stretch, but now the area above my knee feels a bit swollen, so am icing and elevating. Made coffee and toast for myself using kitchen counter for support...side stepping is one of my new exercises. I like that the PT is integrating these exercises into practical everyday movements. Only took 5mg oxy last night with 200mg Celebrex and 1000mg Tylenol & 81mg baby aspirin. Same cocktail this am minus the oxy. Haven’t really had pain last couple of days, just tightness. Last day with help all day...hubby back to work tomorrow, but I’m getting around and able to do most things in the house now without help. He said he may try to shorten his days this week. If I feel up to it, I may tag along on a trip to the grocery store and just wait in the car....or not. Have a great day everyone...happy Memorial Day!

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  11. Layla

Good Morning,
    You're doing great. It sounds like any discomfort you're experiencing is minimal. You're lucky.
    I hope you have another good day and week!
    @CPH

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Have enjoyed every one of your posts!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CPH

CPH member

Beginning day 6 post op: so yesterday marked my first so-so day on this journey. Started out ok, but then my lower thigh above my knee started to swell and get really tight. Wouldn’t quite call it painful, just very uncomfortable and a bit disheartening as I did not think I overdid the day before. So ended up taking it really easy yesterday, icing and getting that knee up higher than usual. Decided to take 2nd shower and had hubby check incision. He said it looked fine and had a very small bruise near it, but not too bad.. Did take a 5 mg oxy in late afternoon before a nap and another again at bedtime along with Tylenol, baby aspirin and Celebrex. Finally got digestive system back on track....if you know what I mean.

Best purchase to date is the 2pack of large Thrive gel packs I got off Amazon...perfect size and just keep rotating when I’m not up and about. PT comes this afternoon, but at least based on first visit isn’t giving me too much to try and told me to go easy with them as it’s early, so it’s reassuring that I can do what I feel up to without being pushed. Mostly focusing on the bed exercises (muscle tightening). Hubby goes back to work today, but said he will leave a couple of hours early today. House is driving me nuts....starting to get dusty and needs a good vacuuming after a week. My mom volunteered to vacuum this week for me and I may try to do a little dusting today. Hoping for nice weather this week so I can get some fresh air and sit on the patio. Hoping for a good day today...so much nicer than the so-so ones. Have a great Day everyone!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Layla

Happy Tuesday!
    I wouldn't worry about the knee too much. I had some swelling, bruising and tightness show up after I was a couple weeks post op. It surprised and concerned me but I learned it's all part of the process. I was told it can take time for the swelling and all to move down to the next joint (your knee) So what I'm saying is, please don't assume you overdid it because you most likely didn't.

Yay for digestion back on track. That's always a welcome improvement. I felt fortunate in that my mom and sister were able to help out with some general cleaning one day when the frustration you're experiencing set in. The inability to keep up your home in the way you've been accustomed is annoying. Best news is, it's only temporary and soon enough you'll be back on track.

Wishing you a nice week of warm sunny days to sit out and enjoy time on your patio.
    @CPH

• Like Like x 3
  15. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

Glad you are doing well! I can relate to the dusty house....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

This was a major hurdle for me post op.:umm:
    Feels so much better for things to be going forward.
    Keep the faith friend.
    You're doing fine.:ok:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Hip4life

Hip4life junior member

All of this is so great! I’m so glad that you haven’t had to deal with too much. I wish you the best on side sleeping. It takes a bit but oh so nice when you finally can do it. Keep on keeping on! Love the updates. :curtsey:

• Like Like x 1
  18. CPH

CPH member

End of 1st week report: well today marks The last day of my first week post op, so want to report out and then may do a weekly progress. So yesterday the PT graduated me to a cane, since the walker was getting clunky, my dog was scared of it and I was walking with it using the proper gait. Heel-toe-roll through the step. He said that it’s important to get the gait right now as it sort of sets up how you will walk later. Much easier to start out walking properly than have to alter it later. Have had swelling above the knee for last couple of days. Not painful, just tight. PT said as long as it’s not severe, it’s part of the normal healing and can even migrate to the calf and ankle and come and go over several months. Said bruising can crop up even after a week, but that mostly he sees it develop around day 5. I haven’t developed much except a very small bruise near the incision about the size of a quarter. My incision area is sometimes tight/prickly feeling, but again just weird sensation, not pain. Tried to sleep on side last night again this time with a body pillow, but still not comfortable. Body pillow made it better, but after about an hour, reverted back to my back. Still sleeping pretty well throughout the night, but do take 5mg of oxy at bedtime....otherwise, not using it during the day. Doing a lot more walking the last few days and the basic exercises. PT gave me some new ones to try along with a longer walking regime....not too daunting, but a couple of the exercises are challenging as my leg still has a bit of that heavy feel. Able to take care of myself completely now, except still can’t drive. Well that’s it for now. Have a great day!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    You have had a great start with steady progress! I still need help getting some pants off if they are tighter at the ankle and with socks and shoes if I'm wearing them but mostly wearing my birkenstocks. It feels great to move to the cane and hopefully you can keep that good gait up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Layla

Yahoo, graduation to cane. I loved that milestone. Soon you'll be losing that also. :yay:
    At least now you know if some bruising or tightness shows up, it's ok.
    There are many odd sensations in the incision area and thigh as you described. Warmth, prickly sensations, zaps, little spasms, all usually fleeting.

If any of the exercises feel too challenging, please don't push yourself. It's not a no pain, no gain type of situation. Your body is injured and trying to heal. It really needs TLC, not a work out at this point. Please don't take this as a lecture because it's not intended as that. I've seen too many hang on every word of their PT only to land in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) suffering pain and a set back, sometimes taking several weeks to get back to where they were. Proceed with caution.

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday! :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1