Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

@Josephine my husband who is a metal and composites engineer asked my OS about the bands when he saw my X-ray and was told they are titanium cerclage bands.... but I go back in on the 16th for post op and will confirm. OS never mentioned they would need to come out..... gawd I hope not!

Also I was referring to why they used staples instead of glue...not why incision was that long.

@CPH I just read your story and what a journey you have been on. Your fall sounded horrendous. What a calm and amazing lady you are who takes everything in her stride with such grace.

I know your recuperation will be smooth with you sense and attitude to what you face.

Take care and sending you hugs and good wishes from afar.
BettyBoop kisses.jpeg
Izabel xx

OS never mentioned they would need to come out..... gawd I hope not!
Well don't be afraid of them being removed. As a rule, they are taken out by small stab wounds as the cable only needs to be snipped and the tie withdrawn. It's really no biggy.
Also I was referring to why they used staples instead of glue...not why incision was that long.
Well I did see that but must have missed it. Sorry. The use of staples, glue or sutures is all down to the surgeon's preference. Nothing more.

@CPH Wow, I just caught up with your story. Unbelievable. You are amazingly inspirational. Sending positive thoughts and healing energy your way!

Just read your post! Oh.my.Gosh! Thank you so much for posting and your positive attitude! You have reminded me that my Doctors and care team said there were No restrictions after my RTHR anterior approach EXCEPT “don’t fall.” I think I was pretty careful in the beginning but am starting to get a little cocky about how independent I am trying to be. You just kicked me back into reality to slow down, be patient and don’t push it! Prayers that your recovery is much smoother now that you are all fixed up again, Blessings to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checking in....non bearing weight status is a :censored:. Seriously how much TV, movies and books can a person endure! Tuesday is my revision/femur break 1 month post op so more to report next week, but for now I am doing my “supine” PT exercises...I have 6, and doing between 200-300 reps throughout the day with ease and no pain. Noticing my muscle tone has improved and much the same (by appearance) as my good leg, but I’m sure not nearly as strong. Dr. Said 8 weeks with no weight, and I’m hoping with the Exercising it wont be too painful when he gradually allows it between week 8 & 12. Next week should be fun. Relatives are coming into town and we have dinners out and bbq events. We got me a nice wheelchair with leg elevator attachments so I can go to Dr appts as well as everything planned and keep my leg up as needed. I have noticed that while my thigh,calf, ankle swelling has subsided considerably, when my foot is down it turns red and puffy. Then when it’s up...it goes away. On a very positive note I am sleeping on my good side with no pain whatsoever, completely off all pain meds for last 10 days and getting in/out of bed like I did when I had no hip issues. This time I’m going slow, easy and cautious. I don’t ever want to have to go through this again. I hope you all Have a great weekend!

Hello! You are sounding upbeat and chipper and I gotta hand it to you, you are dealing with this set back very well. Of course you are sick to death of trying to entertain yourself and pass the time, but you really do sound positive.. :fingersx:
The exercises must help to keep you feeling like you are in control of some of this, especially when you can see a difference in muscle tone..
It will be good to see your OS at your upcoming post op appointment.. I think you and I have one on the same date, 7/16?

BTW- what date was your fall and subsequent revision surgery to repair the fractures, This should be included in your signature. Like a Purple Heart.. :yes:
Seriously, though, it gives anyone who is reading up on your journey a good idea what you've been dealing with.
Take care and thank you for the updates.. there are a lot of us following and rooting for you!

@CricketHip orig RTHR was May 23. Fall was June 18, emergency surgery to fix broken femur and replace hip implant was Also June 18. Thank you (and others) for the encouragement and comments about attitude. As bad and disappointing as this has been for me, I think attitude and outlook are key to the best recovery possible. And I am optimistic my recovery albeit extended by quite a bit, will be a good one. Our brains are amazing and I believe patience, optimism and an overall positive outlook mentally can lead to a better outcome than being disappointed sad, and depressed about it. I know lots of friends who struggle with severe depression, and hurdles in their lives seem insurmountable to them. For anyone that is struggling with a longer than expected or less than perfect recovery, try to find positives in the situation or at least take some pleasure in the steps that move you forward, however small. Appreciate family and friends who help along the way and keep the faith that it will all be better in time.

Thank you for your dates.. this is so helpful! You are amazing and I believe just as you do! You sound like you are well on your way to complete recovery have a lot of family support.
Looking forward to your update after seeing your OS. :flwrysmile:

I believe patience, optimism and an overall positive outlook mentally can lead to a better outcome than being disappointed sad, and depressed about it
Well said! I was once part of a clinical team doing a long term research study comparing alternative therapies Vs standard group therapy for postop breast cancer patients, monitoring their mental outlook on perceived quality of life, and how it affected their long term prognosis. Medical issues are what they are, we can't change them, but a positive mental outlook really did make a difference! Keep the faith!! Wishing you further uneventful healing. :fingersx:

@CPH so glad you're feeling better and your outlook reminds us all to keep our chin up! It's great to read your updates, good luck with your follow-up, think that is also my first one!

I think attitude and outlook are key to the best recovery possible. And I am optimistic my recovery albeit extended by quite a bit, will be a good one. Our brains are amazing and I believe patience, optimism and an overall positive outlook mentally can lead to a better outcome than being disappointed sad, and depressed about it. I
You are exactly right!
If you do feel like a bit of a whine, lots of sympathetic ears here.

So encouraged to read your one-month post and enjoyed every last detail about the progress you’ve made and the adaptations you’ve discovered to help you enjoy your life while you recuperate. I continue to root for the best possible outcome for you and yours, as you patiently and optimistically navigate your way.

Seriously how much TV, movies and books can a person endure!
Reading this took me back to 2011 when I broke my ankle and was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks--one of the few times in my adult life when I was crossing off days on the calendar with big x's--and I was going out to work every day! Sounds like you're doing great all things considered.

I’m sure I’m not alone, but tears as I am typing. Just read about your fall and surgery @CPH
My gosh, bless you for all you have been through. Your gratitude and positive attitude just made me cry.

Hoping the next few weeks pass quickly. I’ve had two sets of non-weight baring 12 weeks, so if you share your interests I am sure I can recommend a series or two. Sending healing thoughts and prayers. :flwrysmile:

Update! So today I had my 1 month post op after my fall/broken femur. Much to report. First a few days prior to my fall back in June, My hip replacement leg began to feel slightly shorter than The non operated leg, so I let my OS know and they were going to check on new X-rays at that appt to see. However, I did not make the appt as I fell getting into the car that day. Today they theorized that the stem may have subsided just enough to break the top of the femur when I shifted my full weight onto the leg, but of course without those X-rays we will never know for sure. In any case good news is....drum roll....everything with the new stem looks great, no movement whatsoever, should last as long as 1st implant & in 2 weeks from now (6 week mark) I can begin to put an ever so slight amount of weight on my foot just to give me a bit of balance while standing on the walker. 2 weeks after that I go back in for 8 week X-rays and assuming everything is still progressing well, can move to full weight-bearing as I feel comfortable.

OS said at the four-month mark no more restrictions and I should be for the most part healed enough to get back to normal activities, although after this ordeal I will probably always be a little bit cautious . Perhaps the best part of today was what he said about the 7 full titanium cerclage bands that wrap my femur. OS said that they DO NOT have to be removed!!! Yeah! He said think of it as having a permanent reinforcement like rebar around your leg. Another awesome part of today was we took my wheelchair for the appointment and Hubby and I actually went to lunch afterward, sitting outside on the restaurant patio on a lovely and beautiful Southern California Day! It felt so liberating to go out into the world after be house bound for a month!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom