THR My Right THR recovery going well after almost 4 week

Slamjamm

Country
United States United States
I had Direct Lateral hip replacement surgery on my right hip on 4/26. The first week went as expected, then bogged down. I saw the Surgeon for 2 week checkup and he said my muscles were pretty "messed" due to multiple Bone spurs and bone on bone. I accepted that part of my recovery would be a little slower due to muscles that needed time to heal. Even with that he removed all restrictions and said I could do whatever I could tolerate. Of course I couldn't tolerate a lot yet. The first two weeks I could get around ok, with the worst actions were getting into bed and walking was pretty sore. I have had 2 minor set backs. AT 1 1/2 weeks The hip flexor muscle area cramped up and it took 3 days to get rid of the pain in that area. After 3 weeks I had a similar cramp of muscled down the side of the leg, between the hip and knee. There was actually a knot that the PT worked on. I am currently doing OP PT and I believe I am days away from graduating to a cane. I have 3 PT sessions scheduled this week. I hope to be driving by next week about 4 1/2 weeks after surgery. Goal is to go camping with a TT week of July 4th. Maybe test bowling around the 8th week Post-op.

Congrats, it sounds like you are recovering very well.

Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us.
I hope you meet the goals you’ve targeted and wish you well on your healing journey. I’ll leave our Recovery Guidelines. Stop back often, we’d love to follow your progress. All the best to you!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4th week since Surgery. I am definitely getting around better. Not ready to ditch walker, but just use it as a stabilizer and not putting a lot of weight on it now. 1st PT session was yesterday, Monday and have 2 more scheduled this week. PT said that I have a lot more flexibility than usual hip patients, so concentrating on muscle strength. I attribute the flexibility to a special PT prior to surgery, that kept me walking and bowling up to surgery. I will update next week as I hope to be up driving, maybe, Monday to see family over holiday.

5th Week post-op Tuesday June 1st. I ditched the walker last Friday. It was getting in the way and slowing me down. Using a cane, but a using nothing inside when close to something I can steady myself when needed, like counter , chair, etc. Walking a little farther outside. PT can really cause soreness for 24 hours. I still get a lot of groin , hip flexor pain after PT. Using ice when it gets really sore. Looking forward to driving at the end of the week or weekend. Took a little trip on the holiday to visit family. Almost 2 hours each way and leg gets kind of achy. Still taking pain meds, but pushing out further every 6-9 hours until I feel ache coming on and especially before PT.
Hopefully ready for a camping trip week of July 4th in 4 1/2 weeks.

and especially before PT.
We do advise against taking pain meds, to get through PT. PT shouldn’t hurt, if anything does hurt, please stop doing it. You’re healing from major surgery, a controlled trauma. Allow your body to heal first, there will be time for “workouts” later. Don’t want to see you hurt yourself, stalling your recovery. You seem to be doing pretty well. May it only get better. Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)

Just a few words of advice. Go slow, even of you think everything is going so well. At the 6 week mark, I was walking 4-5 miles a day and doing my PT, both outpatient and at home. The very next day after the 6 week mark, I had a miss step, just a little scuff of the foot on a raised mound, and now 8 weeks later, the pain and discomfort are becoming more distressing. The doctors don't know what is happening, they finally have scheduled me for some lab work to rule out an infection.

5th Week post-op Tuesday June 1st. I ditched the walker last Friday. It was getting in the way and slowing me down. Using a cane, but a using nothing inside when close to something I can steady myself when needed, like counter , chair, etc. Walking a little farther outside. PT can really cause soreness for 24 hours. I still get a lot of groin , hip flexor pain after PT. Using ice when it gets really sore. Looking forward to driving at the end of the week or weekend. Took a little trip on the holiday to visit family. Almost 2 hours each way and leg gets kind of achy. Still taking pain meds, but pushing out further every 6-9 hours until I feel ache coming on and especially before PT.
Hopefully ready for a camping trip week of July 4th in 4 1/2 weeks.
Don’t push yourself to the point of needing pain meds. I understand wanting to get back to things I really really do! So much so I’m always the one drs worry about overdoing it. I over did it after every surgery but this one. I learned my lessons! The harder you push the longer it takes to get back to feeling good. Surgery was to take away the pain not create it. Just a suggestion. I found with the last 10 days all I have done is walk a bit around my house. Most of the time I’m laid down on the coach legs up and ice. I’m so bored but when I test out the exercise they told me to do ( I have not been doing them because it hurt ) I can do them with ease! No practice at all. Recovery is boring but I want to get back to life fast. Sometimes the quickest way is to rest.

Just a few words of advice. Go slow, even of you think everything is going so well. At the 6 week mark, I was walking 4-5 miles a day and doing my PT, both outpatient and at home. The very next day after the 6 week mark, I had a miss step, just a little scuff of the foot on a raised mound, and now 8 weeks later, the pain and discomfort are becoming more distressing. The doctors don't know what is happening, they finally have scheduled me for some lab work to rule out an infection.
Sorry, to hear that you are going through that, Hope they find the cause of the ongoing pain.

Such great news! Congrats on all the great progress! This early in my stage of healing, I had some aches and pains that worried me but they all went away as it got more time to heal. Make sure to take it easy and not overdo it. Sounds like amazing progress this far.

Update June 8th: 6th week post-op. I am moving around a lot better. I visited my previous PT prior to surgery and was encouraging about my progress, because I was pretty messed up when I first saw her. I am using a cane but not needed much around the house. I definitely use outside and during walks, I am up to about 30 steps until needing cane to steady. after a little while I use cane more since the leg gets tired. Still doing PT scheduled through the month of June. Started driving and with no issues last week also. I have stopped strong pain medication and take Ibuprofen as needed. My non-operated hip needs replacement and has become more painful, so I will be looking into surgery for it in the near future as my surgical hip gets strong enough.

You are doing great, @Slamjamm! Continuing to use the cane is a good idea. I did the same thing. It helps with proper gait, which I'm sure is a challenge with the other hip acting up. Hope your recovery continues to proceed smoothly and you can schedule #2 soon.

My non-operated hip needs replacement and has become more painful, so I will be looking into surgery for it in the near future as my surgical hip gets strong enough.
I‘m sorry you have to deal with this while in recovery. I hope you’re able to get it done soon. Thanks for the update, you seem to be making great progress. Just think how wonderful it will be to have both surgeries behind you and back fully enjoying all the things you love. It’s coming! Keep us posted, we’ll be here. :)

Update June 15: 7 weeks post-up LH THR. Getting closer to normal movements and walking further. No assistance around the house, using cane outside to assist in keeping my fate straight and after fatigue when walking. Driving more. Still have a little ache or discomfort on right side of upper leg, below incision area when getting up from a lower chair. PT is working on it and it is getting better. I have a date of August 30th to have my left hip done. It is achy from time to time, especially sitting in certain chairs and at night, but I have found positions that alleviate the left hip pain, mostly. . Getting ready to go camping the first 2 weeks of July. Looking at getting out and doing more things, compared to pre-surgery.

You've had a pretty nice recovery, wouldn't you say? Congratulations and glad to see you were able to schedule the left hip.
Just think, by this time next year you will see these surgeries as distant memories.
I will ask a moderator to add the second surgery date to your signature and also add you to the August surgery list.

Please enjoy your upcoming camping trip and know that this freedom and access to all the things you love is yours by right. Maintain this positivity and take it with you for your August 30, 2022 surgery. God bless!

Great update! It’s all looking good for your camping trip.

Thanks for updating on your progress, you’re doing well. I wish you safe travels and and a fun filled camping trip in a couple weeks. Stay in touch, we’ll be here to support you through your next THR.
All the best to you!
@Slamjamm

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022