Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

It's definitely not linear and I think that gets us all the time. Darn it. You think you're traveling a good road and then all of a sudden...pot hole

I still wake up very stiff and tight. I still swell very easily. I do believe that is all part of this year long (or more) journey. I'm pretty stiff anytime I've been sitting elevated or not for more than an hour. I try to straighten and bend a few before getting up!!

When I stopped PT, I made sure to commit to continuing something daily to assist in my recovery (I don't have a zero extension) so I sit with the leg on the other chair or bench 15 min everyday... I make at least 1-2 trips up my stairs to the 2nd floor everyday, I ride my recumbent bike for 5-10 min with no resistance at least 5-6 days... so what I'm trying to say is, I'm doing normal daily living, but I'm throwing in some PT at the same time - even though it's not formal :)

Hang in there. You're doing great!!
 
I saw a few posts back that you were able to do a full revolution going backwards on the bike. That's progress, and one day you'll find you can do it going forwards as well.
I actually did a full rotation forward yesterday. So yes, I need to celebrate that! Thanks for the reminder :yes!:
 
Rotating forward is a huge accomplishment! Being able to do that is a great way to limber up that knee.
 
Congratulations on being able to do a full forwards rotation on the bike. :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :dancy:
 
@flyaway79 Hello there, We are doing about the same, I know we aren't supposed to compare though. I also wondered since I cut back on my walking if I were doing enough. I also have the stiffness but when I really think about it I notice little things I can do every couple of days. I think we are expecting too much! It just doesn't seem natural to be sitting around this much, I feel like I am being really lazy! Lol I just wanted to give you some encouragement, I am right there with you:friends:
 
I agree that the stiffness is frustrating. I finally figured out that if I take a few minutes before I get out of bed in the morning to do some stretches with my legs I am much less stiff when I get up. I usually do a few ankle pumps, a couple leg lifts, grab my thigh just above my knee and pull up towards my chest, whatever stretches out my legs (I do both legs) really helps. I used to look like a crippled drunk walking to the bathroom in the morning and now I walk pretty normally.

I get stiff if I sit for a while too, so I have started trying to remember to stretch out some before I try to stand up. It does seem to help.
 
Stiffness and swelling are my worst enemies too. I need to learn to take some time to stretch before moving.
@flyaway79 you pretty much said my day. I have reactive swelling with anything I do (ice and elevating are still my best friends) and at night I can't get a comfortable spot to sleep long periods anymore since I've been doing more during the day.
I do notice some things are getting easier though, I'm not focused on where I'm walking (head down) when I know the area and I'm getting the full rotation on the recumbent bike now too and it's easier getting in and out of the car.
My formal pt finished last week at home, I need to organise to see my physio now, but I'm not rushing as I feel I'm doing enough with my informal pt that I do.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
zakmick, sandi4213 and Cybil62 - Thanks for all the encouraging replies! It sure is nice to hear from those who are in the exact same place. We all have our issues don't we? I do the stretching thing too in the morning before getting out of bed and then go right to my bike for a few minutes since it's upstairs by my bedroom. I have definitely found stretching is HUGE in this recovery.

I was just telling a friend that I guess there's a reason my doctor told me I wouldn't be back to my job for 5-6 months after this surgery since it's quite physically demanding. I told her I just want to be at the point where I'm off work but feeling really good and getting around with ease. But I guess then it wouldn't be called a medical leave it would be called retirement and I'm just not ready for that yet LOL. I still love my job and want to go back to it. I'm hoping by September that will be happening.

For now I'm going to keep moving as much as I can and enjoy my summer on my patio. Icing time gives me that good excuse to just slow down and relax. I have faith the rest will come.........

Hugs to all of you :friends:
 
@flyaway79 the scar sensitivity used to drive me berserk but it has now diminished to nearly nothing. At about week 13 I plucked up the courage and shaved my legs( they hadn't been done since the op!!) up until then the very thought of passing a razor over the numb area made me cringe, not sure if it was co-incidental but after legs were smooth the sensitivity just about vanished!
 
@jaschembra Thank you so much for the encouraging reply! Yup it's definitely not a linear recovery for sure!!

Since I'm not doing formal PT anymore, I try and do what you do and add little things each day to supplement my walking. There's that fine line between good exercise and too much exercise. My knee definitely lets me know when the latter has happened. Each day though, I seem to find something is a little easier to do than before.

[Bonesmart.org] My Revision Journey<
 
@Lilli215 I know what you mean about the incision! Mine seems to be finally calming down. Every evening after icing I just massage my whole leg, knee and incision area. That seems to have helped. It's still numb and I'm not sure I will ever get that full feeling back. I still had a little bit of numbness from my PKR 6 years ago. So I'm okay with that if it doesn't totally go away.
 
Are you still taking Tylenol or anything? It can help a bit with that achy stiffness. I know it helped me many weeks out.
 
@flyaway79
I've edited one of your posts, above, to remove the multiple tags.
We prefer you not to start a post with lots of tags, because it makes it difficult for people using mobile devices. All they see initially on their small screens is a list of tags. Most of the people you tagged are already following your thread, so they won't miss your post.

This article explains about using tags in a better way:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
 
I love that you're going to enjoy recovery icing on your porch. That's the way to do it!
 
Yes I still take Tylenol and occasionally Tramadol during the day depending on my activity level. I find they both work well.
 
The icing on the porch sounds awesome to me too! I feel like icing is my best friend these days. I don't go anywhere without ice and I'm willing to do it anywhere :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mechellac And the nicest part is even when it gets really warm outside I don't get too hot because I have an ice pack wrapped around my leg! I have found my one loveseat out there is the perfect size for elevating with the cushions I have. Wish I had one like that inside. So comfy.
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170604_78075a4c44f9450c4b1edd002cb02675.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last night when I went to bed my incision was giving me absolute fits! It was so darn sensitive. I got up and put on about a 6" x 6" piece of plastic wrap with lotion under it and it immediately went away. It stayed on all night and never bothered me again. This stuff really works!
 
The porch looks beautiful. I'll bet you are at total peace while you are icing out there. Sorry about your incision pain. I haven't had much incision pain (knock on wood) but I sure still have lots of knee pain at night when trying to sleep.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom