Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

My doctor prescribed Meloxicam 15 mg once a day. Forgot to ask if it's okay to take that with Tylenol and Tramadol as well?
Meloxicam is an NSAID - an anti-inflammatory. It's OK to take it in combination with Tylenol and Tramadol. However, the NSAIDs can cause stomach irritation and bleeding, so stop taking it at once if you experience any gastric symptoms.
 
Of course my husband thinks I shouldn't have to be taking any pain relievers at the point. Grrrrr......
But he hasn't had the Revision TKR, has he? It's major surgery, and it's only just over two months since you had it. Some people still need pain relief for about 4 months, so don't worry about still taking it. You will gradually find you need to take it less often until you stop entirely.
 
@kneeper Thanks! That's what I thought. And yes my incision changes color based on my activity level. I don't feel bad taking Tramadol during the day if I need it and and some nights I still take a stronger pain med depending on my day.

I do find I have to sometimes just force myself to sit down and ice and relax! Now at least since I'm off the strong pain meds I can concentrate on actually reading a book instead of just mindless TV :smile2:
 
That sounds like my hubby. He has been full of advice and he has been wrong. He knows better now and when I question something instead of advising me he says, "Go ask your friends on that forum!" Wise man!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I couldn't agree more about the longest 9 weeks of our life! Your incision sounds like mine it is so sensitive, especially at night the sheet touching it sends me through the roof.

Is the tens machine helping? I was going to try mine tonight to see if it helps. I am happy for you that you think your ROM is better, I feel like my is still at 90 because of the tight muscles in my thigh and calf.

It seems like such a long recovery, I am right there with you! Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts:friends: keep taking you pain meds if you need them, I know I still need mine:yes!:
 
@Cybil62 Try the TENS machine. I find if anything else, the soothing pulses of it takes my mind off the achiness. My ROM seems to be be hampered as well by my tight thigh muscle and that darn hamstring and IT band. Plus at times I can still feel the squishy swelling. I've got a massage scheduled for next week and that's exactly what I'm going to have her work on.

I haven't cut my pain meds out just yet :-) Most nights I take an Oxy with my Tylenol to just let my leg settle down after the day and then I have my Tramadol during the day if needed.
 
Yay!! For more movement!!!

I was looking at my incision last night and noticed the colour change too with the swelling.
And I realised I had to shave my leg the other day, as the hair was prickling my skin and felt like pins being inserted into the knee where I'm getting some feeling back.
Still on regular pain meds here and hubby and I had words last night about it (he knows better apparently ..hmmmm)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have noticed the last few days that my incision gets darker when irritated, too. Also, the irritation from clothes and sheets touching it has been worse this week. Can't wait for it to settle down again. You're right, this has been the longest 9 weeks of my life too.
 
I notice that with my incision too. Just the very bottom of it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Got my Fitbit out and am starting out slowly walking. Setting my steps goal:walking:
 
Plastic food wrap ((Gladwrap or sarin wrap depending on where you live) works well for incision sensitivity especially at night. You can wrap your knee with it or what I do is put a bit of moisturiser on and around my incision which I do anyway as I am 4 months out, and smooth a strip over. With the heat of your body it stick all night, even with tossing and turning. And I have the most wonderfully smooth knees lol ,
 
Here's a link to a trick that might help with night time incision pain.

 
@DebM So did you just put a strip over the top and it stayed or did you wrap it all the way around like the video? I tried it a couple of times wrapping it around and both times in the middle of the night it bugged me so bad I got up and ripped it off.
 
I wrapped it all the way around, but just not tight. Yes, you want it touching skin, but not cutting off circulation. :) I felt that the body heat and humidity type environment made everything feel good during the night.
 
@flyaway79 I just do a strip about 4-5 inches wide. The trick to start is apply some moisturiser to your knees or even just pass a damp hand over your knees for initial stick. Then you body heat and humidity takes over and it stays til morning. Much less annoying than a full wrap. I was sceptical but even on my most restless nights it stays til morning. Thinking of tryIng it under my jeans because at the moment I can only wear soft pants and we are coming into winter over here.
 
@DebM Thanks! I'm going to try it tonight! And today I put on a pair of capris because we are coming into summer here and after just a little while they were rubbing on my incision and I had to put my loose yoga pants back on. I hope it works with the coarser fabrics too!
 
I am trying it under my work pants tomorrow - a lot of in and out of the car so that will be a test.

Bilateral on 19th January. My recovery has been one of the slower ones but in the last couple of weeks I feel I have turned a corner. As frustrating as this slowness is, my OS says it can take up to 2 years so that's ok.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom