Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

@flyaway79, Unfortunately, many of us are wondering if we did the right thing. I'll be 2 years in June and I still have some discomfort at times. The thing I am happy about is that I can do things I hadn't been able to do in over 20 years. I'm disappointed in not being pain free, but I didn't really expect to be because of the 5 previous surgeries. Hopefully, you'll continue to heal and get rid of that discomfort.

Congrats on losing 15 pounds! I have never tried Weight Watchers. I'm going back on Nutrisystem Monday. Last time I was on it, I lost 17 pounds. But, I have gained it all back and then some. Isn't that the way it goes?!
 
Yes! To everything you said in your 1 year update. I can relate, except my pain is everyday and I’m on prescription Gabapentin and Prednisone to try and help it. I also agree with your WW comments! I’ve been a WW for 30+ years and this current program is the best they have ever done. The freedom is great! And I love only tracking pointed foods which isn’t too many during the day.

I often think of @KarriB and how she has just recently been having less pain with doing more intentional walking. And @DebM who I believe has always said her OS said 1-2 years. And my OS telling me by using some of the medicine (prednisone) that we’re trying to push Mother Nature along. So...I tell myself, maybe it truly is going to be 18-24 months. I too have severe bone on bone, in multiple places, knee that is patiently waiting for it’s TKR - and sometime this summer, I am going to need to make some decisions. I hope to have less pain by then (get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on the current TKR - and plan on using that OS on the other knee or, be pain free and use my current OS).

So, unfortunately, we aren’t those who feel great by 6 months... and we aren’t those sharing with others - it’s the best thing I’ve ever done, but I hope that we all just need more time and will someday be there! I am very happy for you to have such great ROM and a good 1 year report.
 
Last edited:
I also agree with your WW comments! I’ve been a WW for 30+ years and this current program is the best they have ever done. The freedom is great! And I love only tracking pointed foods which isn’t too many during the day.
Well now I’m even more tempted!
 
@jaschembra I updated last week on my year anniversary and I’m not happy either...

@flyaway79 I was at the shop yesterday and needed to buy gluten free custard powder.....it was the last box at the very back of the bottom shelf....oh fiddlesticks! ( is not what I said I promise but keeping it clean for the moderators [emoji12]) I struggled to reach, to squat to reach, I contemplated kneeling but was worried I would need help to get up and with my luck it would a parent of a child I teach.....lots of moaning as that makes you stretch further [emoji13] was tried, then I used another box as leverage....finally!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick That’s exactly how I got the 2 socks out of my dryer yesterday that were way in the back!
:blackcloud:
I really want my dryer up on a platform!
 
@zakmick and @Jockette in all the struggles I have had with my recovery, I am so thankful for my flexible hamstrings, can bend over from the waist and touch the floor easily. It has made this very difficult recovery just slightly easier when faced with the types of situations you describe!
 
I am so thankful for my flexible hamstrings, can bend over from the waist and touch the floor easily.

It seems like we all have something that works well, to balance off the other challenges. For me it was my ROM which was at 120/0 quite early on. That helped to balance the incessant issues I had with skin infections and abscesses.
 
Eh.

Saw my doctor today. Appointment was just as expected, took X-rays, manipulated my knee and measured my ROM which was 130 which I already knew. That has never been an issue.

We discussed the pains and discomfort I was having. Very open to listening but could find no mechanical reason for the problems, other than I have a low sitting kneecap, which we already knew and have had from the beginning. Problem is the pain is getting worse and not better with time.

Also have hip and low back issues as well :-(

So I have been referred to a pain management doctor for possible Radiofrequency Ablation. Hoping it could help my back and hip as well.

@Josephine what can you tell me about this procedure and what kind of results could I expect if I decide to do this?
 
So I have been referred to a pain management doctor for possible Radiofrequency Ablation. Hoping it could help my back and hip as well.
Very interesting that you mention this procedure! My husband just had Part One done on his lower back the other day! (FYI-we knew it was a 2 part procedure but did not know that they are not both done the same day)

After thinking about it for the next day I googled it for knee pain and found it is done on the knee.

I’m fairly certain my discomfort is a nerve issue. 2 months ago I took gabapentin for about 3 weeks. It did not help my knee and I had several side effects that I couldn’t live with, so I stopped taking it.

I’m not convinced my entire poor outcome is due to a nerve issue, but it’s definitely a large part of it.

Keep us posted on your decision and experience if you go for it.
 
Radiofrequency Ablation
Ablation means surgical removal - in this case of nerve ending.
Radiofrequency is using the heat generated from medium frequency alternating current (in the range of 350–500 kHz). A bit like cryotherapy only using heat instead of cold.

Never had anything to do with this so unable to opine on the outcomes, sorry.
 
Back in the late 80s I had, what the surgeon called, a nicked nerve that happened during one of my surgeries. He went back in and did something and made it better. I have no idea what he did, but it worked. It wasn't immediate, but after a while, it did work.
 
So I have been referred to a pain management doctor for possible Radiofrequency Ablation. Hoping it could help my back and hip as well.

I have also been referred to a pain management specialist and had step one done of this 2 step process. I just recently received a call that I can move onto step two, Radio Frequency Ablation. I have tried everything and am hoping this will work. Good luck to you.
 
Just finished reading the replies on this page and have been feeling impatient that my revision knee (3 months yesterday) still is sore when I get up from a 90 degree sitting position. Pretty much OK other than that. Feel the need to get off my Tramadol 25 mg (I take with 2 ES Tylenol) every 12- 14 hrs. Again it does ease the discomfort. Robaxin 750 mg in between once a day. So tired of taking pills!!!

Btw: I have lost 43 lbs. since Feb. 16, 2018 on the OPTAVIA/Medifast diet. It is sooooo easy. I would be glad to share my health coach with you guys if you want to try the program. I plan to stay on it for life. I do not feel deprived and eat every 2-3 hrs. a fueling or a healthy snack.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom