I never got the massage treatment at my PT either :-( So I had to search elsewhere.
I did do some research and found that as long as your doctor has prescribed "mesdically necessary massage therapy" and gives you a written prescription for it you can use your HSA account money to pay for it. That's what I'm doing now.
@flyaway79, good to know, though I don't know when I'll be visiting the PCP again. I'll ask the OS next week when he feels I could safely and comfortably go for a massage. Between the stiff, achy muscles and the neglected toes and feet, I feel like Raggedy Ann on her worst day, lol. Andy would not find me appealing right now!
i've just had 2 physio appointments, last thursday and yesterday. she massages my thigh, my knee right over and around the incision and calf ~ then laser therapy, then "tens" with ice pack on top and underneath my knee. after that she gently bends my knee and r.o.m. is slightly better than last week. i can hardly wait to go back to a caribbean beach some day and get a massage on the beach!
@flyaway79 ~ it's a low level laser light that penetrates the knee to reduce inflammation, decrease pain and promote healing. sorry i don't know much about it other than what i've read. i've had it done twice now; it only takes a few minutes and they give me sunglasses to wear during the treatment. i didn't feel a thing.
In theory the light from the cold laser reduces inflammation and promotes healing, like everything else, it helps most, but not all people.
I think the beach therapy liam2015 mentions sounds like great therapy.
@sistersinhim ~ i honestly can't tell if the laser treatment is helping or not; i've only had 2 treatments. i still have swelling and pain but my new knee feels solid, even though it's not bending very well in comparison to others at the same stage (76 degrees) and i feel very functional. i do the one step stair climbing, bad leg down and good leg up, since my knee still won't bend enough, but i can get up and down to do laundry. i can walk foot over foot down a hill though. the only thing that really helps with the pain is the ice pack and elevating, but the swelling doesn't seem to change, at least from the outside. i'm hoping good things are happening on the inside.
@liam2015 You are about one month behind me and sounds like exactly where I was at your stage. I was feeling very frustrated at that stage. Now, I can possibly, maybe, almost see the light at the end of the tunnel???? Maybe??? Sometimes that light is a little dimmer than other times
So this has nothing to do with my replacement but it does put many things into perspective.
I just had a pop up reminding me that 3 years ago today, I donated my stem cells for my older brother who had lymphoma cancer. There were 4 of us siblings who had been tested and I was the perfect 10 point match.
The transplant went perfect but he had months of recovery and lots of medications that caused different side effects and he also had to be isolated for quite awhile because of the transplant.
Now 3 years later he is still cancer free. He is one of the most up beat and positive persons I know. I believe that has been very key to his successful recovery. Not to mention some pretty awesome stem cells :cool:
I can learn a lot from him. After all, my surgery was elective and not life threatening. It puts this all in perspective.
@flyaway79, what a great reminder for all of us! While this is certainly miserable, we don't die from it. I am not comparing myself whatsoever to your brother, but I am a 2x cancer survivor. Without humor, (albeit dark at times) a positive attitude and great support, we are sunk. With it, we can conquer almost anything. Hats off to your brother! And to you for being the perfect and willing match!
@flyaway79 ~ that's amazing and wonderful about you and your brother. my daughter is a scientist/engineer who works for a company that commercializes stem cells. she started off in the lab growing them, now she's a director. it's so great to hear that this technology is successful. @Pheebs52 ~ 2x cancer survivor here also. we are so lucky to be here venting and supporting each other.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.