Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

@DebM Let me know how it works with your pants! I am in awe of anyone that does a bilateral. I had a revision from a PKR on March 20th and can't imagine dealing with two of these darn knees that seem to have a mind and pace of of their own! I know patience :bored:
 
@DebM I tried the strip of cellophane on my incision last night and it worked! Stayed all night long even through all my tossing and turning! Much better than wrapping it all around my leg. Going to try it under pants today. Thanks!
 
@flyaway79 so glad it stayed on all night for you!
Well my work pants experiment didn't quite work. It stayed half on but bunched up the other half. I only did a 2 inch or so strip so I will try tomorrow a wider piece as I think that surface area enhances heat and therefore 'stickability'. If that doesn't work I thought I might anchor top and bottom with a piece of light paper/micropore tape. I read on BS that some have put a piece of tape over the incision rather than plastic but I found it it quite irritating.
How did you go?
 
So frustrated with my husband!! He is "very concerned" that I am not up and walking around without my cane. He says there's must be something wrong and I need to talk to my doctor. I wanna cry :-(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to listen to him or argue with him. It's better to keep using the cane than to risk a fall. Just tell him nothing is wrong and you will naturally give up the cane as your knee strengthens. remind him that this is a year-long recovery.
 
@Celle I have a question about the forum. I use my iPhone for everything. When using both the internet to go directly to the website or the iPhone app, I don't see anyone's signature when they post something. I always have to search around to see when their surgery date is which is frustrating. Is there anyway around this without having to use my laptop that I hate?
 
Got on my stationary bike this morning and was able to do a full turn backwards! Yay me! Rode for 5 minutes. At 10 weeks how often should I be riding the bike?

Not doing any formal PT at this time and basically just ADL's, walking and light stretching. Still have stiffness and tightness and ROM is last check two weeks ago was 113 no idea where it is now.
 
There isn't a rule for how much you should ride the bike, like most things you should listen to your knee. I have been riding every day for awhile, but the last few days I have been busy running around with my daughter and it would have been too much tof ask my knee to do the bike too.
 
@Celle I have a question about the forum. I use my iPhone for everything. When using both the internet to go directly to the website or the iPhone app, I don't see anyone's signature when they post something. I always have to search around to see when their surgery date is which is frustrating. Is there anyway around this without having to use my laptop that I hate?
At the moment, no, I'm afraid. Signatures don't show when you're using a phone.
Upgrading is being considered, but tech support is one of the biggest expenses for BoneSmart.
 
@Celle I have a question about the forum. I use my iPhone for everything. When using both the internet to go directly to the website or the iPhone app, I don't see anyone's signature when they post something. I always have to search around to see when their surgery date is which is frustrating. Is there anyway around this without having to use my laptop that I hate?
Let me expand on Celle's answer a little.

Our BoneSmart app was created about 6 years ago when we had funds available for development of enhancements to the forum and website. Back then a fully functioning app (one that works just like the website application) was considered an "enhancement." Now, as you so accurately note, many people depend on their tablet or smartphone for everything and it's no longer considered to be "something nice to have." We need a great, smooth running app for our BoneSmarties!!

But in the time since we first developed our app, our financial situation changed dramatically. We no longer had funding available for many things we considered routine. Through the dedication of a few of our good corporate sponsors along with member donations, we have been able to keep BoneSmart going these past 3 years. Unfortunately, this money crunch left things like the app out in the cold.

The BoneSmart app needs a complete overhaul so that it works just like the website. That is going to require us going back to the drawing board with its design. It will likely be built on a whole new platform that will be easier to modify going forward.

We know it's frustrating for users not to be able to see a lot of the things that are available on a regular computer. It's frustrating for us too! But that total remake is in the plan. We hope to be able to address it in the 2018 budget. So, for now, I must ask that you be patient with us as we get back on our financial footing. And please know that it is a real priority for us so it will be part of any budget discussions we have.
 
It sounds like you are doing great without formal pt. That had to feel great on the bike. I feel like the bike is one of the very best things we can do for our ROM. It seems to really loosen my knee up! Keep doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mechellec Each morning now I get up and massage my leg and do some hamstring stretches and since my bike is in a spare room upstairs by my bedroom I ride the bike for about 5 minutes before heading downstairs. It does seem to loosen things up from overnight.
 
@Celle @Jamie Thanks for the explanations! For now I can use my iPad for checking in. I just like that my iPhone is always with me no matter where I am. That being said, I just made a donation to your site. This forum has been a Godsend and has gotten me through some anxious moments and has made me feel "normal" so many times. I've looked and there is no where else on the internet that has the type of forum and amazing support that BoneSmart has provided. Good luck and thanks for everything!:thankyou:
 
Awwww......Flyaway.....thank you so much for the kind words and your donation! We appreciate our great members like you more than you can imagine. Hang in there until we get the new app. I'm sure once we begin work on it, we'll make an announcement with great fanfare, as we've all waited way, way too long for it!!
 
This site have been a God send to many, many of us. I found it 6 months before my replacement and read up on what to expect with the surgery. It helped to ease my mind going into it and getting through it!
 
I'm in a quandary. I'm just coming up on 11 weeks. Haven't been doing formal PT for 2 weeks now. I stopped going because it seemed like even though they never pushed me it seems like when I did go twice a week - for the next day or two I was more swollen even though it wasn't anything stressful. They were fine with releasing me because they said my ROM (113 at the time) was within the guidelines and they felt I was steady and able to do my own things at home.

So now I'm at home just doing my ADL's. I ride a stationary bike a couple times a week for only 5 minutes. I've started walking up stairs the "normal" way but not all the time. Whenever I'm not up and about I sit with my leg up and most times I ice and elevate. That may be for a couple hours during the day and always for at least 2-3 hours every evening. It's nice out now so I sit out on my patio during the afternoon with my ice packs.

It seems like instead of going forward with everything I'm just at a standstill and sometimes even backwards with the tightness and swelling. I wake up every morning stiff and tight and it never seems to go away.

I feel like at this point I should be able to at least do normal things and not go backwards when I do.

Yes, I'm icing and yes I'm elevating properly and not overdoing anything. Maybe I'm not doing enough? Is that a possibility?
 
Sometimes it like it's 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. Don't fret, that's pretty normal. Before you know it, you'll be stepping forward again, getting away from that stuck feeling.
 
Yes, recovery isn't a linear progression. You will get these periods when your progress seems to grind to a halt. I don't call it stalling, but a period where your knee is consolidating the progress it has made, before moving ahead again.

From now on, you will notice little achievements, rather than big ones. Celebrate them all! I saw a few posts back that you were able to do a full revolution going backwards on the bike. That's progress, and one day you'll find you can do it going forwards as well.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom