Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

Isn't it nice to have a good pt session? Gotta say I'm a little nervous every time I go hoping all goes well. Hope your new exercises helps your hamstring :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle Thanks! I just ordered a unit from Amazon that my PT recommends. On Friday at my next appointment they are going to set up the settings for me.
 
I had a nice relaxing Mother's Day. 8 weeks tomorrow and I did go out for a bit to test drive at the local high school parking lot. Success! Now I can book myself a pedicure appointment! That was one of my goals :happydance:

I'm still trying to find the right pain control for during the day. I have a prescription for Tramadol and have been taking that along with Tylenol. It seems to work okay, but I just seem to have really achy thighs and hamstrings and there are times that my knee just aches as well. My PT suggested maybe I should try Meloxicam. I may call my OS tomorrow and ask about it.

I have been using a Stim machine that my PT recommended and I really like that. It has a setting for both Tens and EMS. I use the EMS setting a couple times a day to help strengthen my quads just like they do at the end of PT. The Tens setting I use on my thighs which does really seem to relax them especially in the evenings.

And of course I'm still icing and elevating pretty much when I'm not up and doing anything specific.
 
Woohoo on the driving! That is great! A pedicure will be such a nice treat! Glad you had a nice, relaxing Mother's Day! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My doctor prescribed Meloxicam 15 mg once a day. Forgot to ask if it's okay to take that with Tylenol and Tramadol as well?
 
My os has me take a meloxicam every morning and I take Tylenol every six hours throughout the day and a tramadol once in awhile if I have pain in between the Tylenol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am just finishing up 8 weeks since my revision surgery. I had my PT evaluation and they released me today. My ROM was 113 and ahe said at this point they like to see it between 110-120. She also said she could tell my ROM is still just hindered due to soft tissue swelling. She said she felt comfortable with my current strength and balance even without using my cane.

They have never really pushed me in PT just let me tell them what I was comfortable with doing. I'm going to just continue to do my everyday things and let nature take its course. I see my surgeon again in about 4 weeks.

I'm happy.
 
Little over 9 weeks. It's seems my ROM is getting a little better. Don't have an actual measurement since I'm not going to PT anymore. But based the the things I can do it looks hopeful.

What I am dealing with more now are two things. The aching around my knee is awful at times. I am just constantly massaging it trying to get it to ease up. I have been using my TENS machine on it as well but boy oh boy this is tough! It's like a nagging tooth ache. I've been trying to use just 1000mg of Tylenol 4 times a day but find usually I have to add in a Tramadol somewhere theoughout the day. Of course my husband thinks I shouldn't have to be taking any pain relievers at the point. Grrrrr......

And also my incision - although it has healed up nicely from the very beginning is still quite sensitive. When it rubs on something it quite uncomfortable. It's also the place that I can "feel" when I start to get more swelling. The incision raises up a bit and gets a little bumpy and tight feeling. My knee doesn't feel as hot as it has in the past. I'm still icing and elevating whenever I'm not up and about doing something.

This has been the longest 9+ weeks of my life. I had a partial 6 years ago and I was nothing like this full revision. At this point back then I was just a few weeks away from going back to work. This time - no way!!!

I keep hearing 12-14 weeks seems to be the magical time frame when these issues start to work themselves out. Don't like to wish away time - but that can't get here fast enough!!

:bored:
 
I'd say these are pretty normal.
I had the "mood incision" too. You could tell when the knee was a bit more swollen by it and it also for months would look darker or lighter depending on things like how long I had my leg down. :)

Like most people, your husband is well-intentioned but doesn't get it. It's not terrible that you are taking 1 Tramadol a day at this point. It sounds like you're trying to time it for the maximum benefit.
I gradually reduced my pain meds by spreading out the timing. I'd say by 8 weeks I was taking 2 a day, interspersed with tylenol. I still took one hydrocodone before bed for up to 12 weeks.
Also don't forget that sometimes you just need to keep off your feet more. If you have an active day; have an "off" day where you don't do much.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom