Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

Sorry, autocorrect or my mistake, 3 months or 12 weeks before going back to my classroom. Very wise to take 6 months before flying again and that stiffness should be a shadow by then.
 
@KarriB Thank goodness! I was really wondering about that 3 week thing LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love the 'angry tissue' term, too. I've watched a lot of silly shows like purchasing homes in England and I've had a great time researching the best beauty box subscription. I now have 3! Beware, it's easy to spend...keep your credit card in the next room[emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@flyaway79 I'm so sorry I've been awol! I had a little down time, sciatica and all that. Better now.
1. Sitting no movement 2 / with movement walking etc 6/7
Oh that's high
2. Prescribed both Norco 7.5-325 and Oxy 5mg. Can use either but I prefer the oxy. Norco makes me feel weird for while after taking. Oxy works with no side effects. Was taking 1-2 every 4 hours. Now find myself taking 1 every 6-8 hours unless going to PT. Also take 1 at bedtime and sometimes another in the middle of the night if needed.
You've cut back on your meds and you have a pain score of 6-7. Does not compute! You need to up your pain meds a bit to get that pain level down. Also, PT should not dictate your use of pain meds. It's unwise to be medicated when going to PT because you need to be aware if anything causes you pain.
3. Slight swelling. Never even had moderate after surgery. But it still feels very tight around the knee area. Tightens more with movement.
If it feels tight then it's swollen! And it would appear that activity increases the swelling.
4. ROM flex 89' at last PT after stretching. 0' extension.
Well that rather belies the 'little swelling' claim. You have internal swelling and that's why your flexion is low. Good thing - your extension is spot on!
5. Icing often throughout the day. 4 to 5 times for hour or so each time.
Jolly good!
6. Elevating I have been doing occasionally. Realize now I need more of that so concentrating on elevating whole icing now.
Elevating should go along with icing.
7. No shopping or outside trips other than to PT and back. No driving yet. Can get dressed and shower with no help. Go up one flight of stairs to bed each night and back down in morning. Do a load of laundry or empty dishwasher when needed (husband usually does these things). Replace ice packs as needed throughout day. Walk around house with use of a cane throughout the day.
That's not too bad.

I cannot comment on your exercises because you haven't given me the information I asked for which was
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each

When you've told me this, tag me again and I'll come back and complete my comments.
 
Just checking in. 6 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. Lots of ups and downs and looking for for the "little things". I've learned if I look too far ahead in my recovery I get overwhelmed.

My nemesis seems to be swelling. That tight, and sometimes squishy feeling inside my knee still keeps keeps my ROM on the lower side. Finally up to just around 100. Lots of icing and elevating.

My PT keeps reminding me that I'm still half way to the 3 month mark where I will begin to feel "good". Keeps reminding me to have patience. He says he can feel that my knee has the potential to bend further, but the swelling is impeding it and that I am in no way at a stand still with the range. Once the swelling is gone it will be much better. Patiently waiting for that day.

No more pain meds during the day. Now taking Motrin/Tylenol throughout the day and most nights still take a pain pill to just help my leg settle down and get some sleep.

I've been using a Tens/Stim machine on my leg lately and that seems to help just take the edge off the aching feeling throughout the day.

Hoping the in the next 6 weeks I see some bigger steps......

For now it's Netflix and Amazon Prime keeping me busy :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your PT has it right. Once the swelling goes away the ROM will be there. I spent 2 months elevating and icing, by the end of two months my legs looked super skinny!
 
We have to change it for you. Just tell us what you'd like it to be.
 
Let us know what you would like it changed to and a moderator can make the change for you.
 
Your PT has it right. Once the swelling goes away the ROM will be there. I spent 2 months elevating and icing, by the end of two months my legs looked super skinny!

Thanks! From your lips to God's ears!
 
I'm a little jealous of your ROM ;-) I am 6 weeks out and just now am getting to 100. I had great range before my surgery and was very active (60 years old).

I am still struggling with the internal swelling which seems to flair up whenever I become active. So- back to elevating and icing.
Yup that ROM drives me crazy!! Mine swells up the moment I take a stroll around the house and a few stretches - aarrgh! Then back to the icing and elevating.
@flyaway79 I've copied these comments that you made in mechellac's thread.

Your ROM of 120 is perfectly fine at just 6 weeks from your revision to TKR. Most surgeons only expect 90 degrees by then, and you've already passed that.
There's no need to keep worrying about your ROM. It's going to come, as your knee heals and the swelling goes down. It will take time, though - time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Nothing happens quickly in this recovery, so dig deep into your store of patience.

That swelling is also normal at your stage of recovery. Do remember that complete recovery takes a full year, and so you are only 6/52 through it. What you have now is not what you will have in the end.

By the way, Josephine has asked you to give her more information about your exercises. Are you going to do that? See her post #44.

Also, you said you wanted your thread title changed, but you haven't come back to tell us what you would like the new title to be - see Post # 49. Do you read what we post, to try and help you?
 
@Celle My ROM is not 120 (I wish) just 100.

Not really doing any structured exercises anymore. Just walks around the house and very light stretching of my knee both at the stairs and while sitting in a chair. Mainly just elevating and icing about 3-4 times per day.

You can keep my thread title the same right now.
 
Sorry, that was a typo, but even 100 is pretty darn good for only 6 weeks out.
 
I am just now a past 6 weeks for my revision from PKR to TKR.

I seem to be progressing, but of course not as fast as I would like. I have been told that my progress will be slower because of the fact that it's a revision rather than a straight forward replacement. My PT has been very gentle and I've had no issues with that They let me go at my pace.

I'm no longer taking pain meds during the day, using Motrin/Tylenol instead more for my aching leg muscles rather than the knee itself. I also use a Tens Machine thoughout the day and evening which just feels good. I don't have "pain" per se just a discomfort from the internal swelling, which makes walking difficult. Still taking a pain pill at night to help my leg "calm down" for sleep.

My main issue is still the internal swelling in the knee joint. That is what has kept my ROM from increasing by big amounts. I started at around 73 at one week and now at 6 weeks around 107. I am still icing and elevating 3-4 times a day. Not much other activity except for walks around the house and slow stretches.

Now I have a question. I have been reading about people who have had problems due to nickle allergies from their implants. I was never asked if I had a nickel allergy and it never entered my mind to even ask about it. I do know I have a nickle sensitivity since I have never been able to wear cheap jewelry.

What are the problems that could occur if there is a nickle allergy/sensitivity and could my continued swelling have anything to do with that?

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid and it has nothing to do with that, but I just can't help but wonder ......

I have an appointment with my OS tomorrow and am going to ask about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle can you change my title to "My Revision Journey" when you get a chance please :-)
 
Did you have issues with your partial, besides needing it revised?
 
After my revision last year (TKR to TKR) I found that I had to really just be very gentle while it healed. My OS told me that I could have some swelling for a few years to some degree. You're still very early in your recovery. Your whole knee has been manhandled to get the old prostheses removed. I ice and elevated as often as possible and I still do at the end of a long day. You will get better but it can't be rushed.
 
Well.....yes..... I had the partial 6 years ago and it was going great until about 4 months and then I just hit a wall where it didn't seem to progress to a final "good place". Surgeon ordered more PT blah, blah...

The "tight" feeling finally went away but after 1.5 years I was having more issues and pain on the inside part of my knee.

That's where I ended up with Microfracure surgery because when he went in arthroscopically to "take a look around" he found some torn cartilage and miniscus tears that he repaired. But that didn't fix the problem either. Continued to have problems with just having pain when I walked and especially up and down stairs. The walking pain was alleviated by wearing a knee brace but after 4 years of that I just got tired of it. It never went away and I just tried to ignore it.

That's when I started get other opinions and ended with with this TKR.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom