PKR My recovery begins<

However, today at PT I was in a lot more pain than normal. I can tell my swelling is up and I lost 10 degrees in ROM. That concerns me a bit. Not sure what's going on. I didn't like my PT assistant today.
The loss of ROM today is a direct result of the increased swelling. That proves it's swelling that inhibits ROM. Don't worry. Concentrate on reducing the swelling and the ROM will appear, all by itself. It's already there, but just needs the chance to reveal itself.

At this early stage, just doing one extra thing day is plenty. So,, having the sutures removed and going to PT was a bit too much for your knee. As you said, PT today was a waste of time.
 
After reading through a few other peoples threads and rereading what I wrote today, I think I'm going to back off on the PT and go just once a week. As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to quit doing the home exercises also. The only ones that feel good really are the heel slides and tightening the quads. I can do those as I tolerate them and not by their demands. First off it costs me $10 every time I walk through the door! It doesn't seem like a lot until you figure it's $80/month! I haven't received my first disability check yet either. We can afford it if it's completely necessary but I'm not going to die from not going. What's your thought on the compression stocking? Mine just makes my leg hurt more! I can leave it on for a little while but I have to take it off after a couple of hours.
 
If the compression stocking hurts, I don't think it can be doing any good.
I'd leave it off - but be sure that you do plenty of ankle pumps, so that you lessen the risk of a DVT.
 
My OS insisted 5 years ago that his patient wear the compression stocking, this time around he changed his philosophy, no need for it! So I dont bother with it this time. I do ankle pumps regurlarly, several times during an hour. It always feels good.
I would keep all my knee stretches, they are the most important. In my case I spread them out during the day. No need to do all the repeats at once. I notice that on the 4 or 5th repeat that is when I hit my max stretch so I do several series of 4-5 per day spread out in time.

I do the heal slide lying down, sitting on the chair and lying on my back in my bed feet up on the wall. The last one was showed to me by my PT at my first TKR. The advantage of that one is that having your leg up, the swelling does not affect as much the exercise. I use my belt to swing my leg on the wall, position my distance from the wall with my good leg ( so it looks like I am sitting but lying on my back, the wall acting as the floor), I then slide slowly my foot down the wall. My good leg acts as a brake and push up to assist my tkr leg as needed.
Here is a link on you tube showing it : .

I find this one stretches more all the soft tissues and muscle without putting pressure in the knee. Note: to help get into position in the bed, i use a garbage bag under my bum, to slide into place! Not alway easy to move a turtle on its back! Lol

[Bonesmart.org] My recovery begins<
 
Thanks for the exercise options! I honestly think I'm not going to do anything for a few days and let it settle down. Last night I slept with my leg up on 3 pillows for most of the night. I had ice on it for a while. When I woke up several hours later I had to switch positions due to discomfort. I can sleep on my right side with a pillow between my knees. At that point I needed pain medication. Several hours later I was back on my back with my leg up. Woke up with no improvement in swelling. The knee is not hot or red, just more swollen. That tells me I over did it and I need to just let it be. I'm sort of a control freak. I don't like not being in control or letting go. My house is a disaster! I have a terrible time just letting it go. My husband and son are doing the best they can. They don't do it like I do. I probably need to use the Ativan when I feel anxious. My primary doctor gave me 20 of them. I think she knew I was anxious about more than just a suture removal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a terrible time just letting it go. My husband and son are doing the best they can. They don't do it like I do.
For some people that is almost as big a challenge as the knee recovery--accepting that the house etc. will not be to your usual standards.
As for the knee--you may not notice a difference day to day, but being kind to the knee will pay off for you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery begins< It is important to put yourself 1st! I used to struggle with letting go. Most of the struggle comes from our own perception. You are recovering from major surgery. What is important should be brougt to minimal, maybe dusting and vaccuming can be done less often. And so what if it was not done behind the couch this time, who cares!

I struggled with letting go at my 1st TKR and this time I am smarter...I am recovering and it is ok to have my house not up to "my regular " standards. The house is set up to make it easy for me, frankly I have learned not to care about what other people "may think". Giving myself permission to recover and not be on top of things has lifted a huge burden off my shoulders.

My husband does not do stuff the way I do it, sometimes it annoys me, but what is really the most important is that he's trying and it is getting done.

Only you have the power to let go and accept, that for now, it is the way it may have to be! Putting yourself first in recovery means also accepting what comes with the recovery. What is really important is for you to rest and take control of the inflammation and that means the leg is up and relax.....

I thought the picture here kind of help visualize where your mind can go during recovery. Since we mostly see our toes when icing, so let the backdrop be this amazing place showed in the picture, put it in front of the kitchen sink...much nicer to look at!
 
My house is a disaster! I have a terrible time just letting it go. My husband and son are doing the best they can. They don't do it like I do.
We have an article in the library that may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

Resting properly and looking after your knee is an investment in a better life in the future. That is your priority now.
The house and the cleaning will still be there when you've recovered. Besides which, if you go doing more cleaning when your menfolk have tried to do it, they'll probably feel that you are criticizing them and they may not be so helpful again.
Try to look at it this way - dust bunnies are your friends. They show that you are resting properly.
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery begins<
 
Well I think I'm finally learning something from this site! I cancelled my PT today because I've been having a "new pain" in my knee. It's a very sharp 10/10 sudden pain when I go from bent to straight. It feels almost exactly like the bone on bone pain I had before my surgery! I had a hair appointment that I forced myself to get through and then I came home and called the OS office. They're horrible about calling back! It's not a matter of life or death but I would like to talk to someone. Anyway, I've relegated myself to the recliner with ice. I've tried a couple of heel slides and that causes the pain to reappear. My husband, who left again today, thinks I need an x ray. I wouldn't disagree with that but we'll see what they want to do.

Also, my scar is feeling "raw" even though it looks well healed on the outside. Anything rubbing against it has been highly annoying! I have some gauze I could put over it but the tape irritates my skin also. I'm just a huge mess!
 
Bravo for taking in charge your recovery!
If it hurts do not do it.
I get periods too where pain is sharper. Inflammation is a very nasty thing. I also get scare sensitivity....it will go away with time. I can not tolerate rubbing, like pants do, so I roll my pants up!
Rest, ice and elevate.

My home PT came today...she is part of the hospital program ...1 more time only to go...yeah....i see my OS tomorrow , 3 weeks post-op. She was all worried that my quads are weak. So she showed me an exercise of "squat" that you do leaning on the wall. I told her that whenever I do any exercise linked to my quads, my knee flares up and it a night rest before the swelling goes down. Anyway , against my best instinct, I try 1 ( one). She then tell me me: " oh, you are not ready for this, don't do this yet.
Result of the one: pain and inflammation for the rest of the day. it felt like all the nerves in my leg where irritated and upset. i could not even do my heal slides because of the inflammation...lesson learned: quads can wait...I will focus only on my knee flexibility for the next little while.
 
Squats are very hard indeed on a new knee, as you found out. It's best not to do them.

Although your quads are weak now, that's perfectly normal. They will gradually strengthen as your knee recovers and we usually recommend not starting any strengthening exercises for them until at least 3 months after surgery. Your knee needs that time to get well on the way towards healing itself first.
 
Got a call this morning from my NP. She feels that the pain I'm having is all related to swelling. She was happy that I listened to my body and took it upon myself to rest, ice and elevate. She feels that the clicking and popping is just fluid moving through the knee. So no x ray at this point. Just more of the same old program. I need to learn to knit or crochet or something!
 
That is all good news! :thumb:

I learn crochet with you! I am really bored! Anything requiring to much brain gets me tired really quickly and reading...well i fall asleep everytime!
:heehee:
 
Okay this is just getting frustrating! My knee is back to being as swollen as day one again. Why? Because I had to take a trip to the grocery store. This is the beginning of my 2 week stint without my husband. I waited for my son to get home from school. The store is about a 1/2 mile from home. We got there and I used crutches to get in to get the scooter. We did our shopping in less than 30 min. I even had someone help load my groceries into the car. Once home my son got our wagon and we got them to the door and into the house. He put everything away for me. I went and elevated my leg with an ice pack. Got up about 30 min later to a knee that's super swollen again. I was able to make us our dinner (frozen pizza) and there was minimal clean up. Again my little buddy helped. I've wrapped it for compression and its elevated above my heart. Seriously I'm so frustrated. This is normal?? Any bit of increased activity is going to put me 2 steps back?? I know I can't rush recovery but shouldn't I be making some progress at 4 weeks out? Everyone thinks I'm worried about returning to work. That's the farthest thing from my mind. Regaining a little ability to do my daily activities would be enough to make me happy right now!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is normal?? Any bit of increased activity is going to put me 2 steps back?? I know I can't rush recovery but shouldn't I be making some progress at 4 weeks out?
I'm afraid that it is normal. It will gradually get better, though. 4 weeks is, I think, the hardest time. You feel as though you should have made more progress, you want to be able to do more, but your knee still says "Not yet, my dear."
Hang in there - it is going to get better!
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery begins<
 
Unfortunately, yep this is how it goes! Celle has it right, the knee get angry because it is not ready. I remember also that week 4-5 were getting better...slowly but surely!
You did awsome there! Grocery shopping and all!

It is great that you have your son helping! High five from me to him. Good little man!
 
Tammy, it is frustrating. Very. I am 4 months out and still swell when I am on my knee. The pain is better, but the swelling is still here. It is good to come here and let your frustration out! I know I did many times over the course of my recovery. We all want to be healed and back to normal in 6 weeks. Hang in there. Keep focused on what you can do, rest, ice, and elevate.

Let's look at it like this - you went to the grocery store by yourself! You got the groceries in, made dinner, cleaned up - all with the terrific help from your son. Think what your knee has been through and what you have accomplished. I commend you for your great planning you did to get your task done. The wagon was a really clever idea! This just shows you that you can make it without your husband. You will have to take it slowly and think things through.

I am so proud of you and your son. Hang in there. It WILL get better.
 
Thank you for listening to me venting my frustrations! Honestly I didn't expect this to be this difficult and I'm learning to adapt. It's not easy. My son is my little love! He's been so good to me and he's showed a maturity beyond his 9 years during this time. I've tried to reward him when I can. He's off of school for Spring Break starting next Thursday. I'm hoping I feel good enough to take him out a few times. There's one of those jump places close by. I can sit and watch while he and a friend jump for an hour.
 
Tammy, I don't think anyone expects it to be so hard. I know I didn't. I have had some complications along the way, but now that it is done, there is nothing to do but push onward. Just don't push too hard in the beginning. Rest as much as you can - that is the one thing I feel is very important to getting your strength and stamina back. Now, what exactly is a Unicap Knee Resurfacing?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom