Guest viewing is limited

PKR My recovery begins<

Any ideas on why I'm having so much lower extremity swelling at 14 weeks post op after returning to work. I'm on light duty. Today my leg swelled so much that my skin itches from being so taut! I've never had lower extremity swelling prior to having this surgery. Does this eventually go away?
Most people experience an increase in swelling (and in pain, too, usually) when they go back to work. I think it's because, even if you think you have been quite active before going back to work, you do more things when you're working. It's not just what you do at work, but getting ready for work and travelling there and back.

The best thing you can do for you knee is try to do nothing apart from work on work days - no exercises, no shopping, no housework, only easy meals - and spend as much time as possible resting, icing and elevating your leg when you come home.

The amount of swelling will gradually decrease, as your knee continues to heal, and it will go away.

My leg continued to swell a bit for about a year, if I did anything more than my usual routine.
 
My worst pain/swelling was yesterday when I went in at 7 am for my 4 week PT evaluation and then started work at 8 am. He did the evaluation and put me through a few exercises. I had my ice pack that I kept strapped to my knee when sitting. I had to take a 1/2 of a Percocet about midday. I came home that night and we did a quick dinner on the grill and I fell sound asleep about an hour later! I figure all the extra activity has me swollen. I bought a new pair of shoes that I have to return. My feet are too swollen for them to feel comfortable. If this is going to go on for awhile then I need a different type of shoe.
 
Now I'm trying to find a new pair of shoes to wear to work. I have to wear "mostly white" shoes. I used to wear Dansko clogs but with my feet swelling they get too tight! I bought a pair of Sketchers tennis shoes with the tops that are elastic instead of lacing up. Have to send them back! They're too tight across the top of my foot. I've been wearing a pair of Ecco's in a Mary Jane style but they don't have them in white that I can find. Anyone with a suggestion? I don't mind spending a lot as long as they're comfortable and I can wear them!
 
I went to a store that caters to runners. I'm nots urge if you can wear white sneakers or not. They checked my size, looked at my gait and how my feet were striking the ground. They then gave me a few pairs to try out. I would suggest it since their expertise is worth the extra money.
 
I have checked Amazon but it's so hard to buy shoes without trying them on. I bought the Sketchers from Amazon thinking they would be perfect and I can't even stand them on my feet. We have a New Balance shoe store near by but I've been in there and don't think they do the evaluation. I'll have to look around and see if there's a store that does that.

Any thoughts on compression socks? Should they go over the knee or are the knee high ones sufficient to help with lower leg swelling?
 
I couldn't wear the compression hoses they gave from the hospital they totally cut of my circulation. My doctor suggested having those fitted and what a difference they made. I found a local store. Helped so much with the swelling and pain that was in my legs, especially in my calves. I tried to buy an extra pair on Amazon, thought I'd try a different manufacturer using the same sizing chart they used at the store, but they were much smaller than the ones I had fitted. If you have a store close to you it's worth going in and getting them sized correctly. I actually plan on going and getting another pair there that are more just for circulation for flying.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The store I went to for my sneakers was a very small one that was one on the local Main Street in a nearby town. It wasn't any brand name store. They carry all types of sneakers to fit anyone's feet correctly for their intended use.
 
you might find getting your shoe size but in a wider width will help get you by. btw, i love ecco's too. most comfortable shoes i have found. good luck, hope you find something that works for you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom