PKR My recovery begins<

Try cutting it out completely!
I think I've explained that I cannot cut it out completely. I have to show my insurance company my progress in order for them to continue paying my disability.

Gram for gram, the pain killing power of ibuprofen or any NSAID versus Tylenol is about 40% at best.
I read the article you attached. I have never had any relief with Tylenol. For me it's like taking a sugar pill. I wish it would help. Ibuprofen is what works for me. I cannot tolerate Aleve (naproxen). Also, Tylenol does not reduce inflammation like Ibuprofen. I've put a call in for the NP to ask if she would recommend using the Ibuprofen before and after PT to help control the swelling. I will see what she had to say.

On a positive note, my ROM increased to 78 degrees. That's 10 degrees more than last week. Feeling a little more encouraged now. Hopefully over the next 2 weeks I will get to 90.
 
I too am on a short term disability from my job so I know I'll have to continue to go to PT so that I can get the most out of my benefits. If I stopped going I'm sure they will say I must be ready to return to work. I too haven't really gotten very much help taking Tylenol even with a full daily dose. My OS has me on Celebrex for the first month which helps with inflammation. It does seem to help me.
 
I have never had any relief with Tylenol. For me it's like taking a sugar pill. I wish it would help.
Often, when people say that Tylenol doesn't work for them, it's because they are taking an ineffective dose.
The effective dose is 1,000 mg (1G) 4 times a day, to a total of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours.

If Ibuprofen works for you, take it, but do be aware that there are dangers associated with its use. All NSAIDS increase the risk of bleeding, particularly from the stomach - so take note of any gastric symptoms you may have.
In addition, there's this:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study
 
My doc had me go to hydrocodone when I felt like I didn't need anything as strong as percocet but wasn't ready for plain tylenol yet. Probably around week 3-4.
 
I'm in Ohio and I have never had a problem getting pain medication. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and back and my doctor has never refused a request for Percocet. Honestly, I don't think it's the US or a particular state - it's each individual doctor.
 
Totally over did it today and now I'm paying for it. I haven't been down to the market where I buy my meat and fruits/veggies since right before my surgery. I was out of everything! The weekends are crazy and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the crowds. A friend went with me today and we spent about an hour doing our shopping. I have specific shops I buy from so it's quick. Brought my rolling walker to get around because I'm not strong enough to walk on my own. Now I have a hot throbbing knee! On my way out I could tell the swelling was already starting. I'm my own worst enemy!
 
Today in the mail I received a letter from my OS office. It's a form letter that I am to keep on me. It states that before ANY procedure I need to be pre-medicated. This covers almost everything starting with dental procedure and includes colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy, barium enema, kidney surgery, bladder surgery, etc. I knew about dental procedure but didn't know about all the others. Is this standard procedure for all joint surgeries? To complicate matters, I'm allergic to both the antibiotics listed as appropriate pre-treatment. Someone didn't look at my chart very closely before sending the letter.

It also states that I may set off metal detectors in airports. I will opt for the body scanner whenever possible!

Lastly, I had water therapy today and I loved it! I was able to do so much more with no pain! I still felt the fact that I exercised, especially upon exiting the pool. I did really well after. Came home after a quick trip to the grocery store with the husband, grabbed my ice pack and sat in my recliner elevated. Now I'm wide awake at 4 am with some achiness but I can't fully blame that on PT because I still wake up frequently at night with pain.
 
I just had a colonoscopy and did not have to have pre test antibiotics but my dentist requires it., I have a dental appointment in a week and have to take 4 antibiotic pills one hour before my appointment. Josephine says this is an outdated requirement.
 
My OS wants me to have antibiotics before those procedures. In the packet I received from their office preop they enclosed an article on it. It is a fairly old article though. My dentist requires it also. I had an emergency trip there and he gave me them while in the office. I'm allergic to the ones routinely prescribed so my dentist gave me a different one. I look at it this way, if there is even the slightest possibility of infection taking one dose of antibiotics is a small price to pay.
 
I'm allergic to both the antibiotics listed as appropriate pre-treatment. Someone didn't look at my chart very closely before sending the letter.
I think you need to ask your surgeon's office to correct that letter, so that it suggests antibiotics you are not allergic to.
Current thinking is that prophylactic antibiotics are not necessary before dental procedures:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
Also, with the increasing numbers of antibiotic-resistant bacteria on the rise, there have been other recommendations that recommend against the use of antibiotics "just in case".

However, because the consequences of getting an infection in a joint replacement are serious, I take antibiotics prior to any invasive procedure. I don't take them for dental cleaning and routine fillings, but I do take them for root canals or tooth extractions.
It also states that I may set off metal detectors in airports. I will opt for the body scanner whenever possible!
With two knee replacements, I know that I will set off the metal detectors when going through security. I warn the staff first, then go through the archway. Invariably, I have to be patted down and wanded. Sometimes, my carry on bag is tested for explosives as well. I do opt for the scanner, if the airport has one, but many don't.
I always arrive early at the airport, to allow extra time for security screening.
 
Are Pedicures okay to have at 7 weeks post op? I suppose I should have asked BEFORE I had one. I didn't think it was a problem and I've had them done before with no issues. Today the lady really scrapped at my cuticle to the point that it hurt and it's still tender. I applied some antibiotic ointment to the area to be safe! I'm a little freaked out right now.
 
There is a slight risk with a pedicure that breaking the skin surface could introduce some infection. However, if your skin surface is intact, you'll probably be OK. Using the antibiotic cream as a precaution is wise - just don't overdo it.
 
I am dreaming of a pedicure and a hair cut! Waiting another week and beauty time it is!

For infection risks, as long as we go to reputable places that have high hygiene standards I don't see any problems. Whenever I get a skin injury, I wash well with soap and rinse thoroughly. If I worry about infection risk, I put polysporin on it or another type of antibiotic ointment. Never had a problem in the last 5 years.
 
Any ideas on why I'm having so much lower extremity swelling at 14 weeks post op after returning to work. I'm on light duty. Today my leg swelled so much that my skin itches from being so taut! I've never had lower extremity swelling prior to having this surgery. Does this eventually go away?
 
I was told by my OS that it can last for up to a year and I may notice and increase when I go back to work. He told me to make sure I ice and elevate when I get home and if possible during the day.
 
Thank you for the information. Have you gone back to work? I fell asleep in the recliner with my legs up on a pillow. Woke up about 3 hours later to a less swollen leg/ankle. I hate sleeping in recliner but it's the best way for me to get my toes up high enough. Whenever I ask about any of my symptoms I feel like I'm always told "that's normal" but never given an idea of how long it might last or if it will go away. Thanks again @newlybionic
 
Whenever I ask about any of my symptoms I feel like I'm always told "that's normal" but never given an idea of how long it might last or if it will go away.
No one can predict how long it will take for any one person to recover. There is no timeline for THR as literally every recovery is different - even on the same person.

Your return to work obviously included more activity - thus the swelling. Ice and elevate.
 
I will be going back to work June 19th which is three just short of three months out. I had more time off with the first surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom