PKR My recovery begins<

Thank you for the pep talk. Just having a pity party today. I'm sure that in a week or so I'll see some progress and feel better about it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's easy to start feeling bad - I know I keep wanting to see obvious positive progress every day and feel bad when it doesn't happen. But nothing goes that way - hopefully every few days or a week you notice something good - more stamina, less pain, more mobility, etc and it can keep you going.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@tdawgs
Please don't try to navigate those stairs until you have been shown how. That would be just asking to have an accident.

There is nothing to stop you from having a strip wash with soap and water at the sink. That's what I had to do after my first knee replacement, when I was not allowed to shower for two weeks.

Put a chair in front of the sink. Sit down while you wash, rinse and dry your upper half and your legs. IF your other half is around, ask him to wash your back for you.
Stand up to wash your nether regions, dry them and then sit down again.
 
I'm 2 weeks post op as of today. I wish I could be optimistic about this recovery and I know it's still a bit early but I feel like I'm not making much progress. I'm still having a lot of swelling despite ice and elevation practically all day long! Sometimes the ice gets to be too much and makes me really achy! I want to sleep in my bed!! I don't think I would be able to get into it since its up so high and then I don't even think I would be that comfortable. Not to mention there are about 18 stairs between me and it :sorry:

I've noticed today that there's swelling below the knee, like at the tibofibular joint. I'm assuming this is normal. There's no increase in pain. I've been bearing more weight over the past few days because I have no other choice really. Stuff needs to get done around my house! I've only done light stuff like start a load of laundry and change over from washer to dryer. Unloaded/loaded the dishwasher and wash up a few dishes.

My biggest problem is that my husband has to travel this coming week for his job. There's no way for him to get out of it. It's kind of "the sky is falling" situation. Anyway, I'm really scared to be left home alone with my 9yr old son. He's a really good kid and he will help me do whatever I ask him. I have a friend coming on Sunday to help me prep food for the week. I have to figure out a way to get to outpatient PT twice that week. But I still have to do a lot on my own. It's impossible to do anything when your hands are tied up with either crutches or a walker! We have a rolling office chair I could use in the kitchen. My husband is afraid that I'm going to get hurt. I have friends that will be more than willing to check on me and help me out if I need it. It's still not the same as having someone with you all the time. Even just moving my stuff from one place to another in the living room takes a group effort. I need a rolling cart! Any other tips on how to manage on your own?
 
It can be done. I was able to do it without anyone at all but three dogs after 3 weeks. I used a grocery bag on my walker to bring things from one room to the next. I would put a bottle of water, something to eat in Tupperware and some plastic forks/knives and I put a garbage can next to my recliner. I would suggest that you have your son help set up your nest for the day. I had my cell phone, iPad , Chargers, paper and pen there. I started driving two weeks after surgery since I wasn't taking pain meds( not by choice) so I took myself to PT. you could ask a friend or even call a taxi ( or uber) to get you there. I only did what had to be done.
 
@tdwags
I just read you post and I just flashed back to my 1st surgery 5 years ago. Did not sleep in my bed for 3 weeks because of the stairs. I also had a travelling husband that was there the 1 st 2 weeks than went on travelling and 2 kids still at home, 12 and 16. I also suffered with a lot of inflammation.
1 st: it will get better!:console2:

If you can plan as much ahead as possible this will be the best. Get the laundry done by the husband when he's home and all work taht require long period standing, balance and strenght. Preparing food in advance, portions, school snacks etc...for when he gone is also best.
I did a lot sitting with my leg up on another chair....my house looked like a recovery center with chairs placed at strategic areas to ease my work or rest. To raise and lower my leg onto and off chairs and the bed I would use a robe's belt. I would put it under my foot and use it to lift my leg straight onto surfaces. I had glasses and plates stored on the counter top instead of the cuppoards. Anything to ease my life, standing and avoiding to get my leg overworked. I had towels out easy to reach.

Rest whenever you can....:sleep:

I also was reluctant to take my pain meds which just cause me more pain than I should have endured. Make sure your pain is well controlled.

My biggest challenge :bawl:was to accept that everything could not be done as prior to the surgery during the recovery period. Once I accepted the "who cares" attitude, things got easier, less stress on myself.

You will be suprised at how kids can do a lot of little things that can help you. I would call my kids "partners in recovery".

I am sending you lost of strenght and courage....:flwrysmile:
 
I only had 3 tall stairs to maneuver up to the bedroom area (and bathroom) of our RV so I had to navigate them numerous times a day. I cannot sleep in a recliner so I slept in bed. First, I stacked up pillows for my leg and then covered myself with a blanket. No way could I get under the covers. After a week, I was able to get under the covers and hubby untucked the sheets so I would have lots of room for my propping pillow. I felt much better in my own bed. Now, at 6 weeks, I can sleep on my side but still use a pillow between my knees. I end up sleeping a lot on my back. Sometimes, it is just something little that makes you feel good like my spouse picking up my favorite take out food trying to tempt me to eat. He has been so important to my recovery!
 
Thanks @Creation and @newlybionic for the encouragement. My husband is feeling guilty about having to leave. I know my friend who's coming on Sunday can help me set up the lunches for my son so he can assemble them easily each day himself and I can make his sandwich. We can also get laundry done and I'll have my sons basket kept down here so we can easily access clothes. She's going to help me cook and we'll portion out and package up lunch and dinner. Its all doable, it's just a little scary.
 
@JLP, I wish I could even think about getting into the bed. Our bed is very high off the ground and I'm only 5 ft tall, I've always had to kind of leap up there LOL. I'm a side/stomach sleeper so I would give anything to be able to do that soon!!! Is your appetite still kind of off? I haven't had much of an appetite since surgery! It's okay since I need to lose a weight anyway.
 
It's doable. My first total knee I was on my own after one week post op. I stayed with a friend for one week before going home. With my second knee I came home after staying with a friend 2 days. And I live alone. I attached a bag to my walker to carry things. I used disposable plates etc. if you have friends willing to help by all means let them. Arrange for them to take you to and from pt. kids love to help. Give your 9 yr old simple tasks to help you out. As far as the other things, you're only 2 weeks out and everything you are describing is normal. I'm 14 weeks out and I still have swelling. You have to be patient. It's a long recovery. Good luck with your upcoming week. You'll be surprised how fast it goes and I'll bet you'll do just fine.
 
My bed is also high so we bought a little stool for less than $10 at Wal-Mart so I could get into bed (and I am 5'6"). I only had to use it a couple of weeks before I could get into bed without it. I also used it so I could sit on the bed and get dressed after showering. I am still using a pillow between my legs to sleep on my side. It is still not all that comfortable and one really does not get quality sleep when one has to adjust a pillow every time one moves in bed.
 
Tammy, all good advice from the others. I would just like to add, you will not be doing ANY harm to your knee if you don't make two sessions of PT. I was sick and had to miss several sessions. You can do light activity at home and will be fine. I had a backpack purse that I tied to my walker to carry stuff in. Your son will feel like the man of the house helping mom out! It is hard, but you have to let go of doing everything and wanting the house and meals to be perfect or like they were before surgery. I had a dining room chair I put in front of my washer and dryer to do the laundry (I have front loading machines) and a stool I sat on in the kitchen to prepare food. Take your time and think before you do something. Don't rush or be in a hurry. You will gain confidence and see that you can do what is necessary and your son will step up and love to help out. Don't be afraid to ask him. How long will your husband be gone?
 
You are still in the dark days of recovery---and the first four weeks are very tough. Honestly you have to trudge through these days as there is not much progress early on---I called it, "Survival Mode." Your knee has just undergone a surgery that inflicted tremendous surgical trauma, and it is still reeling from this. Just hang in there. There will be progress, but when you consider what has been recently done to your knee during surgery, you can understand why it is not moving forward in the manner in which you would like it to.
Is your appetite still kind of off?
The pain meds do this----nothing---absolutely nothing---had any taste to me. Even a pizza from my favorite pizza place did not taste the same.
 
Thanks again for the encouragement. My husband will be gone for 4 days. He will be home for 6 days and then he has to leave again, this time for 2 full weeks!
Thank you @Timetolive for the ideas about laundry and kitchen. I was thinking about a rolling office chair we have for the kitchen. Think it's too dangerous?? I don't want perfection just to be able to accomplish the necessary. I know my son will be a huge help. He's a mama's boy and he's taken really good care of me so far. He likes to "take charge" when given the chance. A reward at the end of the assignment always adds a little extra incentive.

I'm glad you said the first 4 weeks are the roughest! It took everything in me today to make lunch for myself, use the bathroom and get back to my nest. I took a nap when it was all over!! My husband had a meeting to go to and wasn't here to help. I'm still waiting for my energy to return! I still compare this surgery to my previous scopes. By now I would be venturing out to get the mail and probably even going to the grocery store and zooming around in a scooter. No desire to even get dressed right now!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tammy, this is the perfect trial run then! You will see what your husband needs to help you with and figure out before he is gone for two weeks. AND by then, you will be further along healing. The rolling chair could be a little dangerous - it might roll out from under you when you are trying to sit down or get up. I had that problem when I went back to work - almost landed on the floor! Now, I back the chair up to the desk or the wall so it won't roll out from under me. A dining chair may be a better bet or do like I do and stabilize it against something before sitting or gettin up. You don't want to fall1
 
I certainly don't want to fall!! That's one of my biggest fears. I'm hoping I make some good progress before he has to leave for 2 weeks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@tdawgs
You will be able to manage on your own. Some people come home from hospital, to live on their own and they manage. Here is a thread from the Knee Pre-Op forum that gives a lot of information and hints about how to manage on your own:
Home Alone After Surgery

Ask your husband to do a shopping trip before he goes away, to stock up on all the foodstuffs you will need - with an emphasis on meals that are easy to prepare. You're allowed to eat TV dinners for a few days.
Make sure that you have enough pain medications to last until after he is back, as well.

My husband had to go away on business for 2 weeks, a week after I had a knee replacement. It wasn't easy, but I managed OK.

Don't worry about missing a couple of out-patient PT sessions - your knee won't come to any harm. Just do the exercises you've already been shown, because you don't have to do much exercising. In fact, my surgeon does not allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement and his patients all do well.
 
Yesterday we prepped like crazy! I would have enough food in this house for the beginning of an apocalypse! My husband left early this morning and I'm still alive! Two of my friends have been here today. The first one helped me organize the refrigerator and clean up the kitchen so everything is tidy and in its place. The second one that came brought more food! Anyone want to come for dinner? The 9 year old son has been really good about helping me when I need his assistance. The only thing I have to get through is getting to my post op appointment on Tuesday. I'm going to have to drive. There's no one available to take me to my appointment. I'm sure I can do it. I won't be taking any pain medication that morning :( but I will be bringing along my ice pack. I have to have my sutures removed and wish I had someone for moral support and to hold my hand.

Also, on Saturday I had a PT appointment that went really well. I was encouraged by the conversation with my therapist. One of my biggest concerns was the fact that I still have so much swelling that I can't bend the knee. He was telling me that the expectations for a partial knee and a total knee are very different in regards to ROM. I'm at 60 degrees currently and he was happy with that. He said once the stitches are out, I will probably gain a little bit more since everything won't be so tight. Looking forward to having the stitches gone but a bit nervous about getting them out.
 
You're sounding great and well prepared!

Getting stitches out sounds worse than it is and it does feel just a bit better having them out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was glad to read that you got things well organized and are ready for this adventure!
I was just wondering if you have consired using a taxi for your appointment. This is your left knee you had done, right?
I did use a few taxis after my 1st tkr to get me around.
IF taking a taxi is not a viable option for you, I would advise that, if you have not already done so, do a trial of getting in and out of the car prior to your appointment. There can be quite a few challenges you had not anticipated when you try this. Make sure someone is not to far to help you out when you try if things get to hard! Then make an informed decision on your best alternative for transportation.
Good luck
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom