PKR My recovery begins<

Now, what exactly is a Unicap Knee Resurfacing?

A Unicap Knee Resurfacing is also known as a "partial knee replacement". So I have a pretty small insert that basically caps the area where I was bone on bone in the medial aspect (inner part) of my knee and I'm pretty sure I have a new fake knee cap also.

The therapist I saw today, was telling me that a partial is a little bit more difficult to recover from in the beginning because they don't "replace" the joint they invade the joint and there's a lot of soft tissue manipulation that needs to settle down during the healing process. He was pretty pleased with my progress today. I was able to bend to about 72 degrees. On Saturday when I was so swollen I was only at 55 and my best previously had been 65. So it looks like I'm doing better than I thought I was.
 
The therapist I saw today, was telling me that a partial is a little bit more difficult to recover from in the beginning because they don't "replace" the joint they invade the joint and there's a lot of soft tissue manipulation that needs to settle down during the healing process.
Well, that therapist is misinformed.
Both a PKR and TKR replace the joint and both involve 'invading" the joint and a lot of soft tissue manipulation. The difference is that with a partial only about half of the end of the femur and the tibia have to be shaped to fit the hardware. They still have to open up the joint, put part of the implant into the femur and the top of the tibia and put a plastic spacer between the metal components.
This article has some good illustrations:
Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos
 
Is the video of the actual surgery? I'm not sure I can watch it at this point! LOL I'm still a little squeamish about the knee.
 
Thank you for all the video options. I will view them when I feel a little less pain and not so nauseous.
 
Thank you for all the video options. I will view them when I feel a little less pain and not so nauseous.
I understand how you feel---while I knew what was done to my done to both of my knees, it was some time before I could watch the video of my surgery or see the pics...
 
The videos recommended here are really good and explain well ( animated and graphics). :thumb:

I saw on you tube the live surgery... Although it was hard to watch :shocked:, I enjoyed it because I was able to undertsand where all the pain came from.
 
I do honestly believe that, when I was able to watch a video of a TKR, it all came to me---why my knees were so inflamed and stiff and sore---and why recovery was so frustrating---it took looking at the video for me to realize truthfully why a TKR or a BTKR recovery can take so long. The knee joint is surgically devastated.
 
Hopefully some day I can muster the strength to watch without "feeling the pain" so to speak! I've been trying to be a little more active and "use" the knee as best as I can. Last night I was invited to a fish fry at one of our churches and I'm glad I went! It was nice to get out and see some friends. It was a perfect amount of time too. I was back home in about 1.5 hours and ready to rest for the night. It was easier than trying to make dinner for myself and my son also!
 
I watched a YouTube video of a total knee from start to finish - several times. And loved it!! Found it fascinating.
 
I tried to watch that video well after my TKR and I only made it half way through and I'm a nurse! I'm afraid to go looking for one that shows a revision. I asked the PA what the details were and she hesitated t o tell me at first.
 
Sometimes it's better not knowing before hand! I'm a Medical Assistant who's in the process of getting her RN. I can assist with anything but when it comes to watching something that was done on me or one of my kids, I have to check out! A few years ago my daughter had a Pilonidal cyst that needed to be drained and excised. After they drained it they packed it. I went with her to get the packing removed and almost fainted!

Good luck with your revision @newlybionic! Hope it goes well :D
 
I've gotten past 4 weeks and I'm feeling a good bit better. No joke that the first 4 weeks are hell! I was in my kitchen yesterday and was able to take a few steps without my crutches. Thinking about breaking out the cane instead. Middle of the night and early morning are still the worst time for pain. I've cut way back on taking pain medication. I'm down to once or twice a day instead of 3-4 times. I've been averaging PT once a week instead of twice. Maybe that's not good but I'm making good progress. Some days I just don't feel like making the effort to get myself there, today being one of them.
 
The worst is behing you! That is great that you are gaining confidence and getting a few steps in the kitchen without aid. I have also started hoping a step or two from chair to counter to fridge! I tried my cane this morning , it is fine if my knee is oiled! But when I have been sitting for a while it is stiff until I have taken 5-6 steps. So not quite there yet.

I noticed that I am more stable when standing and this is slowly building my confidence and trust in that new knee!

[Bonesmart.org] My recovery begins<
 
I've been averaging PT once a week instead of twice. Maybe that's not good but I'm making good progress. Some days I just don't feel like making the effort to get myself there, today being one of them.
Since you're making good progress with PT once a week, keep doing that. You don't need lots of exercise to rehab a knee - just enough to keep it moving.
Well done! :happydance::yay::flwrysmile:
 
@Creation Yay for you making some good progress too! It feels good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel, right?

So I did end up going to PT today and wish I had not! I work in the same building that I go to PT. My coworkers called me and asked to join them for lunch. This is my fun bunch of coworkers and I haven't seen them in awhile, so I accepted the invite. Once I was in the building I went to PT. I honestly don't care for this therapist. She's really pushy and I always regret working with her. I was feeling particularly achy before even going in. I think I may have overdone my weight bearing and trying to move about a little more around the house. I told her right off that I wasn't feeling all that fabulous and my pain level was up. Although she went kind of easy on me, she wanted to try a few new moves and one in particular hurt and I just flat out refused to do it. Once I was done all I could think of was getting home and getting into my chair with my ice pack and taking my pain medication. Then I started having those zingers! And they've been on and off all evening. Ordered pizza delivery for dinner, which made my son pretty happy anyway. Now it's almost midnight and the zingers have started up again so I'm having trouble falling asleep. Took my pain medication again but it doesn't seem to be effective against them. My husband comes home on Thursday evening! Looking forward to having him here! I'm also giving in and looking for someone to help do some house cleaning. I just can't stand the way the house is at this point. I need some professional help! LOL I feel bad asking my friends to continue to sacrifice their time to come help me.
 
Those zingers are interesting, aren't they?? This too shall pass. hang in there. I vote for help with the house cleaning!! YAY!! One less thing to worry about. Luckily, my daughter came over and helped clean. Be careful with PT. Can you request a different therapist? I only went twice a week, and then sometimes only once when I was so sick. You are in charge - always remember that.
 
So I went to PT today and I'm a bit stalled at about 70 degrees for ROM. My therapist is not overly concerned but thinks we need to push a little harder. I was agreeable to trying a bit harder and I did. He didn't make me do anything that really hurt but just stretched into it a little more. I'm getting nervous that I'm not making much progress. Wondering if this is normal at 5 weeks or if I have reason for concern. Last thing I want it to have to have someone bend it for me! Starting today I'm going to be stretching that bend whenever I get the chance to do it. After PT I'm back to sitting in the recliner with my ice pack and had to take my pain medication. Of course it swelled up after that workout.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom