Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

The shorter work days were wonderful for me. I hope you are both able to do that @kmann and @tigz . The good thing about a few days a week is you don't have to get ready everyday. In the beginning of going back I had to get up earlier because it took longer for me to get ready.
When I went back my best friend (who wasn't working during my recovery) insisted on driving me to school, then volunteered to help other teachers while she was there! She was worried my RTKR would be too tired to drive home after a morning of teaching. We found that my leg did ok and she only did that for a week. I am certainly blessed!
 
@KarriB I do know my car will be getting hail damage repaired that first week I'm back to work....so the retired hubby had already offered me his service. Excellent timing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, I know my supervisor would let me do 1/2 days. .our whatever I need, just not sure what Administration would think of that, hopefully they will take my 20 years of service into consideration. My job is pretty much on my feet all day, we do things at the computer, but alot of walking, so we will see what happens. Gonna try to get outside and walk more, will be 4 weeks Thursday,and I really haven't done much walking other than around the house. Also looking for a recumbant bike, today at PT I was able to do full rotation on bike, and it really helped loosen up the knee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I got a recumbent bike last year. I had a regular exercise bike, but the recumbent is better for my knee. I rode my bike on days I didn't have PT and now I ride it most every day for a half hour. It does loosen up my knee. Mine was a gift, but I think it came from Walmart and wasn't too expensive. It does sit lower than the PT bikes, but I think those bikes are very expensive.
 
Very happy to say that I'm having a great morning. My knee feels a little looser today more flexible. I feel like walking is a bit easier. Now I know tomorrow might be a totally different story but just reveling in the gift that is today! And I found a recumbent exercise bike, I posted on Facebook that I was looking for one and one of my friends had one that she wasn't using. I've cleaned up my kitchen, started some laundry. Hopefully these good days continue to show up. Or maybe I should say good morning because the day is not over yet, I know things can change and be completely different this afternoon lol
 
4 weeks and 1 day today. Had my first outing tonight, went out to dinner with friends from work, and it was a huge success. They were all astonished to see me come into the restaurant with no cane or walker. We were in the restaurant for about 2 hours, and I did great!! Of course then we went to my niece's house and visited with her for a couple hours. Home now, knee is swollen, so polar ice hooked up pain medicine in and I'm going to bed. Nice to feel like I can get out and do a little bit now. Looking forward to driving next week, if my husband and my mother will let me! Lol
 
It was very wonderful!!! But I can tell Im gonna pay for it a bit...was more swollen and stiff this morning. Gonna have to take it easy today!!
 
@kmann I have been following your recovery and am hoping for the same next month after my surgery. Congrats on your night out!!
 
Hey guys...hope all is well with everyone!! Looking for advice/insight, Im getting a bit down on this recovery time. First of all I know I should never compare myself to others, but all of us going through this know thats hard to not do. I am 4 1/2 weeks out, and in my mind I think I should be able to walk further or more than I feel like I can. First of all I can't walk without at least a little bit of a limp, I try but it's always there. Can probably walk several hundred yards, but then must rest and I get so stiff afterwards. I have 12 weeks off work, and then I have to go back. I think this is what has me concerned is I'm a 1/3 of the way through my recovery, and I'm scared I'm not going to be able to get around well enough to go back to work. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet a lot during the day. So, I'm basically wanting to know at what point did you feel that you could really walk well, and how far did you go. Right now I don't think it would even be possible for me to go in and out of the grocery store by myself so, I want to know what point did you feel that you could really walk well, how far were you able to go, seems like I read a lot of stories of people at my stage going to the grocery store, I don't think I could do that.
 
You are doing really well, it's still really early days. I'm about a week ahead post operatively but am still having Knee stiffness. Never, never compare yourself with other people on here, every recovery is different. You will be surprised at how different things are when you're 8 weeks out, and how much easier things get. I can not walk fir more than 15 minutes at the moment without resting, l have to elevate and ice many times a day but this is normal in the recovery process. If you are able to have a staggered return to work than l would definitely recommend that. During my ltkr recovery it was at about the 8 week mark that l really felt as if l was walking well.
 
Your recovery changes all the time and doesn't follow a straight trajectory. In a few weeks you could be feeling so much better. It's just hard to see right now that it will happen.
 
With my first TKR, I felt I'd turned the corner at the 6-8 week mark post surgery. 4 1/2 weeks is still early on in tar recovery. Hang in there!
 
@kmann - I bet you are farther along than you think you are. You are a week ahead of me and it sounds like you have good ROM and have been able to get out and do things. I was determined to go to the grocery last week, but afraid I wouldn't be able to make it all the way through by myself. So I had my husband go with me in case I needed to bail half way through and sit down and he could finish. With pushing the cart I didn't have any problem. This week I will go and take my 86 year old Mom so I know I can do it. You may want to try a short run with someone with you just to get your confidence. Of course I spent the rest of the day icing and resting but it's baby steps.
 
You are doing great!
You are not 1/3rd through this recovery, you are 1/12th through this recovery, that can take up to a year, though you will start feeling a lot better earlier.
We recommend a return to work at 3 months, sounds like you are right on schedule.
Like amab says, he felt like he turned the corner between 6 - 8 weeks.
Tim put this together, so true, Where are you in recovery?? (TKR) .
This is a marathon, not a sprint, you are right were you need to be.
 
@JennyLynne had her PTKR around May 12 and she just posted that she took back the grocery shopping over the weekend. You are still so early and really in the midst of the energy drain. Give yourself another month, you'll be at 8 weeks and I'm sure having much more energy. Remember, patience.
 
Thanks guys! !! This is precisely why I love this forum. ..you have a?? or concern, everyone is always so willing to help out. And what I meant with the 1/3 way through recovery. ..was that 1/3 way to back to work. ..which frightens me. Once again I cant express in words how much you all mean to me and have helped me!!!
 
I'm feeling the same way! I feel like my work return is looming in the distance and I can't even walk around the supermarket without being in pain later. I feel like I have to stop and rest all the time. I can't even imagine being back at work where I'm up and down all day, sometimes on my feet for hours!
I start my outpatient PT today, so I'm just taking it day by day. I'm so grateful for finding this forum. It's been a true life saver!!!!!
 
@mimi_frog ...I know its a terrible feeling, at least for me, I swear everyday I have this looming feeling in the back of my head worried about going back to work on time. I mean don't get me wrong mentally I would like to go back now being stuck at home is driving me crazy. But, physically ,I don't know, I worry that 8 weeks from now isn't going to be enough. I think that you are about a week behind me if I remember correctly. I had outpatient physical therapy this morning, and then stopped by the clinic where I work they were having a carry in lunch today and I ate with them. But of course all of that has me at home now with the leg elevated and iced because it is really swollen. I know that we will look back a year from now and be glad that we did it. It is getting better, but it is so slow
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom