Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR My post op journey has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back diving walking about and carrying all the kit no problems, I do leave some of the heavier work for the guys to deal with as they offer and I accept.
Fairly big milestone I painted my toenails and it was so easy.
The only thing I notice now is if Ive been sitting for a while Im stiff when I first get up it takes a few steps to get the hips legs in order.
 
puddle fish Congratulations on a fabulous report Its wonderful that you are so active and doing the things that you love to do again.I would love to be able to ride my road bike and to hike for miles in the British countryside again so you are a great inspiration to me especially as you had a bilateral.I am particularly impressed about the diving too.Well done ! It sounds like the start up stiffness is your only issue and from what I have read its part of the course after hip replacement.
 
Sounds like you are doing marvelously well - how wonderful. I too suffer from the stiffness syndrome when I 1st get up after sitting a while. I can do just about anything I want, so I'm totally not worrying about the stiffness. I can walk it out with an initial stretch & a few steps. No amount of working out or stretching at the gym seems to make a difference. Small price to pay to get my feet back under me & my life back!
 
Kim22 it takes a while but gradual increases and you will get there. On the whole if I listen to my body I can pretty well do most things although not all simultaneously.
 
Hi puddle fish - Sounds like you are doing really well! My start up stiffness had really pretty much gone away now, so maybe yours will as well.
 
I'm back to where I was before I knew I had hip problems. June last year I had to give up a planned bike ride 54 miles Brecon to Cardiff Wales, along the Taff trail. This weekend I completed the ride and a 30 mile ride as well as a hike through the Brecons to see some fab waterfalls. I know my body is still healing but wow 10 months 5 days after surgery Im better than I was before.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
    Taff Trail.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 191
  • [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
    Brecon.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 213
  • [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
    waterfall.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 187
Great news! I finally got a bike rack for my car, so hopefully my cycling adventures will reignite. We used to have a truck and we could just throw the bikes in the back. Now we have a more "civilized" car, so we needed to get a bike rack. Have you done much diving this summer?
 
Great update puddle fish, the stiffness will ease.. wonderful to read you are having fun!
 
Hi nerdgrrl Ive manged to do about 30 odd dives this summer a mix of assisting teaching new open water students and dives for pleasure with my sons mostly the south cost of the UK. Walking with the kit is getting easier as is the finning technique percuilar to UK trained divers which is the frog kick a bit like breaststroke. Although I have a pickup (SUV) we tend to use the car and bike rack cheeper on fuel :-). Poppet will be nice to get out of the car without looking like I cant walk for the first 3 or 4 steps.
 
Don't worry puddle fish, when I get dropped off at work there is a steep camber on the side of the road to the gutter and I still look a bit wobbly.. Great look really, staggering around going into work, lol....
 
Good move puddle fish... I don't have a choice.. Hubby drops me right outside the front door of my secure building.. Thankfully the security guards realise I am not tipsy, lol
 
puddle fish nerdgrrl I am 4 months since I had my last surgery and I get the stiffness after sitting for a while. It's encouraging to think that in time that should go away. I think it's gotten better for me. I suppose and hope it's a progression and one day I will realize that I don't have that stiffness anymore. Puddle fish you have accomplished a lot and you are an encouragement as to how we can go back to our lives in an active way.
 
August Bank holiday I had a small crash on my bike and landed very badly on my knees with my left knee forced in and hip forced out. It was increadibly painful and I heard and felt a nasty suction poping sound, it felt it had poped out then jammed. Anyway they carted me off to hospital it required gas and air, with the leg going into spasm a lot of the time. X rays seemed ok the orthopedic team also had a look and they couldnt see any dislocation or damage to the replacements and so just lots of bruising with more painkillers they let me go. So back to the rest ice painkillers and the left hip has been okay recovering, but the right hip I have groin pain very similar to the arthritis pain, not all the time to need painkillers but worse at night, or after sitting down. The limp that went has come back but only for the first few steps then goes, If I stand and raise my right knee to 90 degrees to get up a big step it hurts, but not if I am sitting down and bend forwards. Rest Ice etc and see how it is in ?????
 
Oh PuddleFish, that is a scary thing!

So.....lots of bruising does mean another period of healing and recovery. Pain and stiffness to be expected. And yes.....right back to the same regimen: rest, ice, elevate, and pain meds. I'm thinking that the fact that the limp is only there for the first few steps is a good sign that nothing is seriously damaged. If you had dislocated, you wouldn't be able to walk at all.

The groin pain could be a sign of a psoas muscle strain.
Iliopsoas syndrome

But let's ask Josephine to comment on this. I'm hoping she'll tell you not to worry.

Sharon
 
Oh you poor thing! That sounds like it was a really nasty accident. But it was only 2 weeks ago so bruising and soft tissue damage are not going to clear up that quickly. Could take as long as 6-8 weeks. Are you taking pain meds? Resting and icing appropriately?
 
Could take as long as 6-8 weeks. Are you taking pain meds? Resting and icing appropriately?
Okay I guess the answer to that statement is errrm no, well at least not as much as my hip wants. Will do as Im told and 6 weeks time be back on the bike or as the weather is getting colder and the evenings darker not a bad time to leave it in the shed and enjoy other forms of exercise.
 
Oh Puddlefish, so sorry to hear about your bike accident! You poor thing! I hope you are on the mend. Those soft tissue injuries can take quite a while to heal. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom