Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR My post op journey has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bike, I was just referencing my own foolish day of overdoing it- I think had i not pushed it, I'd still be doing light rides on the road! I finally feel about as good as I did 4 weeks ago, but am going to resist the temptation to ride a few weeks yet just to be sure. And I know what you mean about the stationary seats- there is only one at my gym that's feels right, the others bug my hips.

I did just come across a free indoor bike training stand- but my bike is on the rack in the middle of a complex brake job I need to finish yet...:whistle:
 
Today I managed a walk in the snow I used the walking poles much easier managed about 2 -3 miles
this is a photo from almost 1/2 way as we had made out way back up from the valley. Start point was the top of the hill roughly in line with the hedge just past the gap. [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
nerdgrrl Once I got moving it was fine, Im stiff but it is getting better. My index fingers are still a bit swollen and so holding a pen is hard and Im not typing with them but I was able to keep them warm and so taking pics was OK. As for the snow there maybe more on its way last time we had close to this amout was 3 years ago so in this part of the UK it is very uncommon.
I think its hard for people to understand the rollercoaster type ride recovery is both physically and emotionally. They see me looking so well and therfore think THR is a breeze, this is one of the hardest things Ive had to deal with.
 
Hi Nannyannie, I used to commute from Chatham to Kingscross, always a difficult choice the fast service 40 mins lucky even to get on the train stand all the way or the slow 1:40 and maybe get a seat. Im only 3 months out Im sure 6-9 months much more will be possible. Fingers crossed we dont get too much but with it comming from France we normally get loads.
Happy healing with the hips and maybe like me the rest of our bodies need some TLC
 
Puddlefish, it's amazing what the job center is proposing. Obviously they aren't that far away... I used to commute about 45-50 minutes one way but it was a pretty leisurely drive (I chose to drive back roads rather than sit in stop and go traffic). About 1.5 yrs ago I moved in closer to shorten the commute. I can't believe how much different my whole day is having the shorter drive in, not to mention the savings in gas. Looking forward to the time change so I have more light in the evenings. Currently leaving and coming home in the dark...
 
Been back to GP for follow up and the numbness is getting better as has loads of the sweelling. The problems with my fingers and hands, tiredness and pains in kness and muscles around the thighs feeling low are more than likely due to pain osteoarthritis in the case of the hands and knees and residual pain from surgery. He thinks that I came off the anti inflamitories (NSAID) a bit too early and so has changed them to another type Naproxen and see how I get on.
 
Hi Puddlefish, glad the swelling and numbness is going down, think the GP is wise too to have you continue with the NSAID's as it is still early in your recovery. Hope you do not get alot of snow, whether here in New England is totally crazy. Yesterday, 10 degrees and light snow, then freezing rain, today 20 degrees and tommorrow 50 degrees, but with pouring rain.
 
after i have my BTHP will i be able to go and use the bathroom by myself? How long will it take ?
 
I only used the bedpan the night after the op, the following day they got me up and then with the aid of a walker, a nurse and physio i made it to the loo. The raised toilet seat and the arms on disabled loos made it fairly easy to get there. The bruising and stiffness and numbness from the op, and nurses even though they were outside made the act of going the hardest part :rotfl: run a tap and drink loads and the walks to the loo are good for you. I did have a private room and bathroom so that made it easier as well.
 
Today I had a little play with the scuba gear in the local pool. It felt so good I ran through some of my drills and after a little bit of a its all gone wrong, it all went right again. Most were easier than when I did them last, the only one I had a laugh about was the rescue it went okay got my poor son to the side. then you need to get them out so his hands crossed one of my hands over his as I jump out onto the side on my knees and then relise I dont know how to get up from kneeling without using support. At which point I burst out laughing and said Im stuck I cant get up. I told my son he was most likely dead anyway but hey I got his body back. Ive always struggled to get out off pools without steps end up looking like a seal. But I think Im very close to being able to push up and put my foot on the side then push up from like a running stance will carry on with the PT excercises and give it a go in a month or so. Next week I go for a real dive will let you all know how it goes. :yay:

[Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
Well the anticipated diving did not happen the weather in the UK this weekend was just horrible, as I am still recovering from a heavy cold it was decided to postpone for another day (Hmmmm I seem to think my buddies were rather glad).
Today I needed to get some baking ingredients from a high cupboard so without thinking I stepped up onto the kitchen chair got the baking powder and stepped down, It was only when I thought about it I realised I’ve not been able to do that in a while. So at some point I’ve gone from being able to do 2 steps at a time to 3 and it was only a few weeks ago it seemed I was struggling to get into the bath for a shower.
 
Ive reached the stage where I have stalled and in limbo, admittidly better than I was 6 months ago. However, I still feel a long way off from where I want to be. I still have some pain around the incision sites most noticibly if they get knocked, and I tend to turn over a lot at night if Im on my side so its not that comfortable. I still get tired, and so have to pace myself. Walking wise is ok for most things and no sticks and short periods in heels. Walking more than a couple of miles then I would need to use walking poles. The bike is fine on the flat but hill work or too bumpy then I cant manage it. I still feel that the soft tissues and the ligamnets are healing and adjusting and that they are going to do it in there own sweet time and I cant hurry them along. Some days for no obvious reason Im limping its as if my hips get out of the wrong side of bed and decide to be grumpy all day.
 
A plateau? And tired of winter?
You folks who had bilaterals blow me away with how well you do, going through all this healing without a "good" leg to stand on. Try to be patient and pamper yourself a little on those grumpy hip days---sunshine and flowers are coming, with better scuba weather ahead. I bet that will help:SUNsmile: Sunny thoughts heading your way from Florida.
 
Puddlefish, as they say it is really 24 months to really heal. I still get tired and still get quite grumpy and I only had 1 hip done. It will take us awhile to get our muscles back because of all the time we coudn't move much. Sending smiles and hugs you way and good diving weather
 
So I managed a small dive. I carried all my own kit in and out of the water and managed to take fins on and off. Just to give a rough idea my tank is about 15kg my BCD and regs 5 kg I had 7 kg in my weight belt and my drysuit perhaps another 5 kg (must weigh it) its made of 5mm neopreene. So pretty much the same as my pic. In under 5 months as you can see its a lot of weight to be carrying but I used to dive at least twice a month doing 100 dive a year so I was fairly used to it.
 
Yay, a real dive! Cool! I just went on a real hike last week - similar idea - short hike (3 mi) and not a ton of elevation gain, but with my full gear. I bet it felt good to get back to your "native habitat". How did you feel after?
 
Woo-hoo, more good news first thing in the morning, after just reading @nerdgrrl's great report. Taking our lives back, BoneSmart (international) Warriors. Yes!
 
sissy46 it felt FANTASTIC.
But seriously a little bit tired and some muscles were a bit grumpy after almost an 8 month rest, the cold did not affect me as much as before :dancy: and a couple of nice very easy dives are just what I need. nerdgrrl just about to read your report of the hike it must have felt fantastic as well. I supose the good thing is I am allowed to dive on the anti inflamatories which I will do for the time being as there is very little I can do about the arthritis in the other bits of me. Although there is no rheumatoid markers there seems to be some inflamation as the pills are working as long as Im sensible.
 
Puddlefish, it's so good to hear you got out on that first dive! You go, girl!! It will get better each time you head out as we are all reprogramming our muscles and brains regarding our new shiny bits. Look forward to hearing about you future dives.

[Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom