Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR My post op journey has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a foam roller to see if it helps, Cardie cant seem to tag you? Anniepops. Oh boy did it hurt thats with both arms supporting me and a leg. I knew I would be sore over the incision site but waas not expecting it to be sore further down and stopped about 4-5 inches away from my knees. As I expected the left leg was worse than my right. On a more positive note I spent a few days in Cornwall did some walking although I needed treking poles I got a bit carried away rock pooling and sudenly thought to myself as It was possibly not the best thing to be doing scambling over rocks which were a bit wet and covered in seaweed ( was great fun). The place we stayed had a lovely ward pool so I was able to do the hydro exercises and swim. We saw loads of starlings flocking over St Michaels mount I will post some pics when I get them to a sensible size.
 
Hi Puddle Fish,

Good for you joining the foam roller club. Take it nice and slowly and remember to breath as you are doing your rolling as the tendency is to just hold all your air in since it is a bit achey and painful in the beginning. You'll be amazed at how quickly there will be improvement, especially with your walking and scrambling over slimy wet rocks!! :)

I take it you did the roller on the fronts of your thighs as were surprised by the achiness there -- I have experienced that as well and attribute it to muscle atrophy. As I strengthened my quadricep muscles that tenderness lessened, sometimes there would be a bit of muscle soreness from exercise but not really the same ache as the atrophy seemed to produce.

Your trip to Cornwall sounds nice, good thing they had a pool for your exercises and relaxation too!

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac I used the foam roller on the IT band, I tried today on the front of the quads that was OK sore but not like the IT band. Im still trying to build up the glutus muscles and abductors which is why I think Im having IT band issues, causing knee and some back pain.
 
Some moody shots of Cornwall. [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
[Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
The photos are just fabulous---and your description "moody" is perfect. I may have to put them in my pic file to use as wallpaper on my computer. Thanks so much for sharing.
 
I forgot to ask you what color your foam roller is??? They are different densities and that can also determine how much of a torture the IT band rolling will be :heehee: I have a white roller and have seen the gray/silver and black ones -- the black one is like concrete!!

Are you able to do this stretch?


This is what is suggested in the IT band thread. I don't get a stretch from it because I can't poke my hip out like this on the op-side -- maybe because my band is too tight... but I get a good stretch on that roller!!

I see your hip is still pretty new, 5 months, so you are *still* healing and that muscle strength will continue to build and develop in time.

I like your photos and I've spoken to the mob of starlings that descend in my front yard periodically and requested that they make their way back to that Dowtown Abby like building that is in your photo!!:)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Its a blue open type foam similar density to packaging around some electrical goods. No give in it when I lie on it but you can depress it slightly with a thumb. Its not as hard as the oe I have seen in the gym. I can almost do the above for the left leg but its much harder for the right. The building was a Benedictine Priory which had religious links with the equally famous Mont St Michel in Normandy, France.
 
Oh, good a blue roller is perfect to start with and that gives you other options to work up to when you are stronger and further out from your surgery!!

I'm not a big fan of that IT band stretch that I posted above, mostly because I can't do it and also because when I try I felt odd like I might pop my freshly installed hip out of place. I don't think that's really the case or it wouldn't be in the IT band thread!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
A quick update as I have passed my HSE (health and safety excuitive) diving medical in the UK if you teach or help teach diving you have to pass a medical to prove you are fit enough to dive, one of the tests is stepping up and down on a 15 inch step at various speed for about 6 mins, Chester step test, whilst your pulse an O2 saturation rates are measured. I have done several dives of various difficulty in the last month, and yesterday I was what I would say was normal diving for me. I was out boat diving off a very bouncy RHIB yesterday and managed no problems with carrying kit getting on the boat etc. I have attached a few pics for you to enjoy. Its not been easy to get this far but well worth it and its still improving. [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
[Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
[Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
Wonderful for you---and it certainly lets others here know that there really is life after THR. Keep up the good work and enjoy!!!

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
 
WOW Puddlefish that is so wonderful and amazing! You rock, gal!
 
Congratulations Puddlefish. The diving looks awesome. Very difficult test to pass as well. Have fun !

I am hoping to get my scuba certification soon, but snorkeling has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Puddle! What a great job! Wow, 15 inches, hmm, don't know if I could do that (that's like a double step) once, let alone a bunch of times for 6 minutes. Whew, that makes me tired thinking about that!:heehee:

Keep up the great work - and love the pics!
 
Wahoo, Puddlefish. You worked hard to get where you are and I am so happy you can return to your loves. Beautiful photos
 
Woohoo! So glad you are able to get back to doing what you love! Nice pictures, too. Congratulations! Does this mean you will be teaching, or helping teach a diving class?
 
Thanks all and this forum and the online suport has been amazing. Im now allowed to help assist with teaching the students in the water so back as a divemaster. This pic was taken by my son on a diveboat a few weeks ago and like a well behaved diver I stay sat down until the last minute. Next challange is the Taff trail bike ride Breacon to Cardif 60 miles.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My post op journey has started
    me dive.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 190
At least its not hip related, but spent 4 nights in hospital last week after getting a virus infection in the inner ear. Hips did not enjoy the enforced rest so back to the gentle physio to get the range of movement back.
 
Sorry to hear about the ear infection and the hospital stay!!! I hope you are doing much better and getting your hips going back to normal.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom