TKR My No Opiod Journey

@lgobrien they are very good and they do help the healing process.
water
ice
juice of one lime
parsley - small bunch
spinach - small bunch
pineapple - one slice
apple - 1/4 slices
sweeten with organic stevia
I use a nutri bullet and drink one a day.
 
Moderators - would you please change the title of my thread to: My No Opiod Journey.
I want to share with everyone what the last three days have taught me. My situation appears to be a rare one and one I hope no one else has to experience.

Firstly, just want to apologize to everyone on this forum for posting the last three days under the influence of extreme pain and no way to make it stop. I have been inspired and enlightened by the people who share their journeys here. I will always be grateful for your kindness and honesty.

I had my first TKR in 2005 and it was a breeze. I took oxycontin for pain and it was uneventful. So when my other knee decided to give up the ghost - it was a no brainer to have the RTKR. I went into it happily and then to add to my delight I found bonesmart.org. Learned so much here about gentle recovery. I was on my way. The first week was great. Had ROM of 92/4 on the third day. Pain was contained and the icing and elevating worked as foretold. On the 7th day post op - a funny thing started to happen. As I would start to sleep my arm or hand would start to jerk about every 15 seconds. It started to affect my sleep. It didn't worry me until one night my right leg jerked about 2 inches off the bed and my knee was very unhappy. Called my OS and they changed my pain meds to tramadol. Took this until this past Saturday - the spasms were getting worse. Because of the holiday weekend I called the after hours number of the OS and got in touch with a very disinterested PA. She told me to discontinue the pain meds and take Alleve and Tylenol and call back Tuesday. So for the next three days the pain escalated and the two OTC drugs were useless. I iced and elevated constantly and never slept. I cried, cussed, and hated every moment of the TKR. I had a difficult delivery of my one and only son. That is what I gauge all pain by when they ask for 0-10. This was 9 for three days straight.

So, I went to the internet to try and find a reason for the way my body was reacting to the opioids. Finally came upon a "medical sign" know as myoclonus. It seemed to be what was going on with my body. So, I finally got in touch with the OS nurse today. She brought this up before I had the chance to. She said it is rare - but they have encountered before and have a cocktail that treats it. I was sent three medications - gabapentin, diclofenac, amitriptyline - that for the past three hours have put me back in the "land of the living". I pray that it will continue that way.

Sorry this has been such a long post - but if one person can be helped by this down the line - I want it to be here. Just as all of your struggles and victories have helped and encouraged me.

Sandy
 
I'm very happy that you now have a combination of medications that are working for you. It's amazing how differently everyone one reacts to the same meds and even how the same person can have success one time with the meds and not the second time.
 
Now if I could get rid of the involuntary flinching that my upper body does when I try to sleep. Must be the meds.
I get those twitches too, it seem like it's always when I'm ready to fall asleep. I do not seem to have them when I've dozed off. Even sitting her typing and knowing I am getting heavy-eyed, I'm intermittently getting this "jumps". Strange... I'm on Percocet (Oxycodone)... any correlation?
 
@lgobrien it is an opioid. Google myoclonus. That might help. Mine weren't twitches they were jerks or jolts . Very angry and scary.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@blissful
I am sorry you had to go through this, but it is interesting, and I am glad you posted about it. I looked it up and saw that magnesium could also be part of the problem. I had to stop taking magnesium before surgery and I don't remember if they said I could go back to taking it after, but didn't take it because I was on so many pills. I'm now wondering if that is why I slapped myself in my sleep. After I was finished taking all the surgery medicine, I started back taking my magnesium, coq10, etc. The jerking has stopped for the most part, but my legs still move a lot in bed. I started taking magnesium because of muscle cramping and I was already on so much potassium. The first dr didn't believe I could still be having cramping, and refused to listen to me, so I went elsewhere and that dr mentioned magnesium. I still wake up suddenly when drifting off to sleep, and cannot get back to sleep. The other interesting part is that I was told before surgery I would be given gabapentin, but I never was. You are so right, it is scary. So glad you are finally finding relief! Keep us posted.
 
Good to hear you talked to your doc and got a mix that works well for you.
 
Yes, I'm taking Gabapentin for the same reason. I guess the opioids affect some peoples nerve endings. I am only on day 2 of this cocktail, but I had an uneventful night with plenty of sleep. I think I will dig deeper into this and try to understand more. Do you feel that the magnesium is helping your situation?
 
@blissful
The magnesium has certainly reduced the cramping. While I was off it, the cramping in my toes started back. Now that I am back on it, the cramping has lessened. Don't know if it helps other problems, but it has helped with cramping. One night before I started taking it, I was woken with severe cramps in both knees. It was awful. I couldn't move because my knees could not straighten or bend, so I was "stuck" in position until my husband rubbed them out. Can't believe my son actually slept through my screaming! Haven't had another attack that severe, am hoping I never do!
 
Thanks for the info - I will add that to my supplements. The cramping scares me. Hope you never have it again. It's a horrible feeling when you can't control your body.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@blissful - sounds like you are really working well with your DR to get your pain under control. I had RLS and it made me crazy and there seemed to be no way to stop it. Wanted to throw in that most people don't realize that from what I understand, Tramadol is in the opioid because it is a synthetic version of a opiate. Maybe that was why you were still having the reaction.
 
@GA-Peach - exactly right about Tramadol. My OS realized that yesterday when my meds were changed to the cocktail. I just don't think they have to use it that often. So the first choice is to use the opioids. Did your RLS dissipate?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you had told me five days ago that I would have my home PT visit today and I'd measure 100/-3 and get on the stationary bike and pedal with no problem on day 12 post op - I would have laughed or cried. This has been the strangest experience I have ever encountered. The cocktail is working perfectly and my knee is going above and beyond in response. Pain is a powerful thing and I really hope I never have to go through that again. But, my PT could not believe that I hadn't done any exercises for 5 days and my ROM actually increased. Gave her the mantra - maybe she will pass that along to her other patients. She is gentle anyway. Thankful and positive once again. :)
 
Again, the proof that less pt is more gain! I'm so glad that you're doing so well now that you finally have some relief!
 
my PT could not believe that I hadn't done any exercises for 5 days and my ROM actually increased.

AWESOME-!!!

[Bonesmart.org] My No Opiod Journey
 
But, my PT could not believe that I hadn't done any exercises for 5 days and my ROM actually increased. Gave her the mantra - maybe she will pass that along to her other patients. She is gentle anyway. Thankful and positive once again.
Great news! You're doing very well.
I'm glad your therapist is gentle.
 
Maybe your therapist will become a BoneSmart Way believer!
 
I had spasms as well-only in one of my legs-it was below my knee on the outside of my leg. I stopped taking the tramadol due to it. I read that it was not good to take with antip-depressants. Reacts with serotonin. My spasms stopped after stopping the tramadol.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom