TKR My No Opiod Journey

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story! My OS mentioned in pre-op that outpatient TKR was literally on the horizon, but I had no idea someone was actually doing it.
 
I hope things are still going well.

How was it when the femoral nerve block wore off? Sometimes, people experience an increase in pain at that stage.
 
Found out later that he didn't do the femoral nerve block - just the spinal. I feel the pain this am. Took first oxy last night before bed and now . It's not that bad. Hope that continues. Pain not as bed as the pain before surgery. PT coming today to evaluate.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just make sure you take pain meds by the clock for now. Don't let PT push on your leg or knee at all. That can really hurt!:gaah:
 
I know the mantra by heart - will let them know that my knee calls the shots. Will be kind - but firm.
I realize I need to set the alarm to wakeup at night to take the hydrocodone. Should have done that last night for sure.
 
Blissful -
I know you are relieved that you are done with surgery! I had the block as well and twilight - I did not have general anesthesia (maybe that makes a difference?) I almost had full extension and I went home after 23 hours. Like everyone here mentions - stay ahead of the pain. I hope you have continued success! Keep updates!
 
You've had very good advice and I'm glad to hear that things are going well. Go gently on the PT - you don't have to do lots to rehab after a knee replacement.

Although you've had a fast-track start to recovery, your knee is still going to take a long time to heal, so don't get discouraged if you have a pause in your recovery, or seem to go backwards a bit from time to time. This recovery really is a bit of a roller coaster.
 
GA Peach - twilight for me as well. Although, I told the doc to make me sleep - didn 't want to hear a thing. Never felt this alert after a surgery and no nausea to boot. Love it.





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are doing well...make sure you stay ahead of the pain, I neglected to take my pain meds 2x and learned the lesson the hard way!
 
Now for the recap - I want to write it all down for reference later.

Karen was my preop nurse very up beat. Any trepidation I had was gone. Took blood and chest xray. Dr Minter was up next - very calm and laid back. Put his initials on my knee with a heart next to his name. Said I'd be in recovery in 1 hour and fifteen. He was right on. Woke in recovery shivering and teeth chattering. Ian/nurse the called AD and asked if he could give me demerol and the anti opioids AD said no! Put more blankets on and it would subside - which it did 45 minutes later. Said it was the spinal wearing off. Had to have a bed pan as the bladder kicked in. Was there about an hour - I was so alert but no pain. Ian wished me luck and a kiss on the forehead and off I went.

Upstairs to a private room :) had a sofa and hubby utilized it for a nap. We left home at 4am. April was the RN and what delight - just 24 but a seasoned pro. She is 24 but looked 16 - precious. Checked my bandage and hung the IV antibiotic - hardly any blood on gauze. Needed bed pan again and again to urinate. No more shivering. Still no nausea. Sophia the PCT just like the others. Took great care of me. I'm not a big talker - but there I became a chatty cathy! Brought in lunch - some of the best mushroom soup ever. Hubby woke and ate the turkey sandwich. I was not sleepy at all despite having only 2 hour sleep the night before.

The occupational therapist dropped by and gave me the okay. Around 1 pm now and started to get antsy to ho home. Waiting on PC to show which she did at 4pm. Nadia had me walk down he hall to PT suite - about 50 yds with the walker, climbed the three stairs - up with the good down with the bed and she put me back in recliner and wheeled me back and released me. In the room they let me walk to the bathroom now. Finally got to go home at 5pm. Almost 12 hours after my arrival.

Home again. Have two steps to get in house. Was using walker with hubby behind me. Up with the good and down with the bad. Knee buckled a little but my guy of 44 years was right there. Love this man!

Got into bed with my green smoothie and went to sleep. Not groggy at all - slept through the night and woke around 9 am and feeling great. Not having the GA is the key. Waiting now for the PT. She/He will not be touching my knee.

A big shout out and thank-you to staff at Northside @ Cumming. The kindness, promptness and dedication they showed was above and beyond.

Well that brings us to date. The people on BoneSmart are such a blessing. Thanks for everything you taught me.:SUNsmile:




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oh yes uva55 going to set my alarm for 3 am tonite!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
On the CPM now set at 100/-5. Will be using 3 times a day for 2 hr intervals. I know the jury is out on these machines but I seem to benefit from using them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you have everything in order there blissful~! I find it interesting how we are all so different. I realize this isn't your first knee replacement rodeo and I think having been through it before gives one a big advantage. When I was in the hospital they brought the CPM machine in and I broke out in a cold sweat just looking at it! (I can be a wimp)!

:scare::yikes::scare:

I'll never know if it would have benefited me or not but I'm really glad it does you! I hope you are comfortable this afternoon and are able to get some good rest!
 
Suz - it does look daunting - but it keeps the knee elevated and it relaxes me. Different strokes . .
Thanks for your interest and I hope u r doing well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@blissful
Yeah - it was amazing to go home so soon - after 7.5 hours for me. They also gave me the CPM, but it left my leg very stiff whenever I was done using it, so I didn't use it much except for the elevating. And I also had the pain Saturday morning. All in all, though, it's the way to go. Glad you had a good experience with it and everyone was helpful. I didn't have the freezing cold with this surgery, but I did on my first hand surgery. They put a hot air blanket on me and it felt so good! I think what really surprised me the most was how I could walk so soon after they got me up. I did have the block, but did not feel like I had a log leg. They also liked how I walked heel first with no limp. (As long as I walk slow enough, I can do it.) Here's to a good recovery for you! Keep us posted. Looks like you are off to a really good start!
 
Congratulations on getting home. Sounds like you have good support and know the mantras. :)
 
@kneeper - yes I do know those and was able to use them today as I had my first @home PT.

She was a great PT and didn't push anything/ listened to everything I said as I recited them. Measured my ROM and I'm at 75/0. She also said that the 3rd day is usually the worst for pain and swelling and yep she is right. Not missing any pain meds. She is seeing more and more OS using the fast tracking in GA.


Took first shower as they use water tight bandages and that felt great!

Thanks to everyone here. You've made this much more tolerable. Hope everyone is progressing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@blissful keep a close eye on your water proof bandage, when I was in the hospital they told me they stopped using them because some patients were complaining that the bandage gave them blisters. I get to wrap my leg in plastic before showering, fun times :)
 
I had the waterproof bandage with no problems.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom