TKR My No Opiod Journey

@blissful I slept a lot the first 10 days or so, not so much anymore, I am taking less pain meds now!!
 
Isn't that sleeping wonderful?! My sleeping has slowed down, too. Now, it's only one nap a day instead of two or three. But, the energy drain is still there. There's so much I want to do but don't have the energy to do it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My No Opiod Journey

Yesterday at one week PT removed my bandage. She said there was no drainage and the redness along the outside was from the water tight adhesive. Will have the staples removed next friday at 2 weeks.

The last couple of days were really strange. I had switched to the tramadol and began sleeping a lot. Couldn't keep my eyes open. PT said I looked pale as she was taking my blood pressure. It was 96/62. I take two scripts for blood pressure because it usually runs 150/90 with the meds. Always has been high. Been monitoring since and it is running a little higher at 115/68. I haven't had much pain at all - so yesterday I started taking half a tramadol with one tylenol every four hours. This is managing the pain and I'm not as sleepy anymore. PT said she had a patient once who had both of her knees done and her blood pressure dropped and never went back up again. Weird - but I would love it if that happened.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your scar is coming along nicely blissful~!! Glad your reduced dose of tramadol/tramadol is containing your pain!
 
Graduated to cain today from walker. Now if I could get rid of the involuntary flinching that my upper body does when I try to sleep. Must be the meds.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My blood pressure was elevated for two weeks after my revision. I was about to call my PCP for an appointment because of it but then it just went back to normal. Go figure...
 
@newlybionic when I was in the hospital my bp was super low 96/54 more or less, then when I got home it was high 149/96...after a week it was back to normal, I think it's just the trauma our bodies go through and the meds!!!
 
Now RLS! Only at night. Wondering if the spinal is the culprit[emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just talked to the PA after reading up on tramadol and involuntary movement of limbs. Told her I wasn't going to take the meds anymore. She said to take alleve and tylenol and call back tuesday snd see if I need a muscle relaxor. Can't take another night of thrashing about the bed especially last night when my right leg and new knee flew up. This probably isn't going to be pretty pain wise but hope I can endure. ugh


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so sorry you're having all these RLS problems. And of course, they're worse at night when trying to sleep. Hopefully, you'll find relief really quickly.
 
Got through the first night without the pain meds. Took two alleve and two tylenol before bed. Only up once for bathroom. Icing now and about to take 2nd goses


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
About to take 2nd doses. My blood pressure is already going back up. Guess the opioids were suppressing it. Can already see that not using the narcotics is going to make me rely on the icing and elevation more to keep the pain away.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great on slowing down on the opioids! I have found that Tramadol and Tylenol is working as a good substitute for me. Maybe it will for you, too.
 
I'm not slowing down - I can't take them at all. Last night I had a few spasms early on and today there have been none. Glad I am getting this out of my body. Hope the aleve and tylenol make this bearable along with the ice and elevation cause that's all I have now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
After two days off the pain meds snd only taking alleve and tylenol - I'm at my wits end. The pain is helped by icing and elevating but only temporarily. No sleep in two days. Finally called my PS to ask what they gave me after a procedure last year. It worked well and didn't cause problems. It was toradol. Hopefully the OS will write a script. I need help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OS is sending me a cocktail of three meds and toradol.
I will never take another narcotic!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Still drinking my green smoothies so hopefully it will heal quickly.
What are your green smoothies made with?

I loved reading through your thread and everyone's comments. Your surgery was three days before mine, and this is my second knee also (8 years apart). I used Bonesmart 8 years ago too and it really helped having this support group!

I thought I was discharged quickly (home less than 24 hours after the surgery), but hadn't even heard of "out patient" knee replacement surgery. I think for the right candidate, it's definitely the way to go. Why chance getting an infection at the hospital?

Good luck with your continued success on this road to recovery. You're quite an inspiration!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom