TKR My No Opiod Journey

Thanks for that info! There is barely any blood on the gauze - so they are leaving it on until next visit.

Still drinking my green smoothies so hopefully it will heal quickly.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just had my second PT visit and was at 91/-4.

Was amazed that the lady that walked in was the same PT I had 10 years ago with my LTKR! She was the one that taught me how to hook my foot under my ankle and swing it up on the bed. She didn't even attempt to touch my knee.

Feel great but the hydrocodone is making me itch. Will call the OS about that. The knee feels different today - like it is ready to start the deep down, long haul reconstruction.

Sleep is good except for the itching. Hope everyone is progressing well. Thanks for all the input - learned so much - what a godsend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great ROM already! I hope the itching problem can be taken care of quickly and you get some good sleep.
 
The knee feels different today - like it is ready to start the deep down, long haul reconstruction.

I like that @blissful! Sounds like you're prepared to be patient and recovery the bonesmart way!

Your ROM is awesome at only 4-days out from surgery! Hoping you are able to get the itching under control so you can rest!
 
Can you try some Benedril for your itching? Your ROM is outstanding! Much better than mine is at 3 weeks!
 
Love reading that things went so smoothly for you! Both of my knees were done out-patient and I had no problems at all. I am so glad that this option was available to me! I kept on top of my meds and more importantly, used my ice machine almost 24 hours a day. Meds don't work well for me, but icing kept me comfortable. Just don't think that because you are home that the recovery is easier. You still have to take it easy!
 
Thanks for the kind words. I did not expect this knee to be so agreeable - as I am 10 years older now. But she is proving me wrong so far.

Interesting moment today when the PT came by. She is the same that rehabbed me 10 years ago. She is the one that taught the ankle hook to lift the new knee onto the bed. Small world.

I will be telling the world about my outpatient TKR for sure. The best has been the lack of nausea and the clarity from the moment I awoke.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Now there seems to be a problem. Taking one hydrocodone 10/325 every four hours and it has been taking care of the pain. Tonight when I went to bed my body relaxed and I had some of the itching but also my arms and torso began to lurch periodically and move. Haven't taken the next dose to see if that is the problem. Still moving and the aleve isn't helping the pain. It's like restless leg but in my arms and torso.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OS is changing me out to tramadol and possibly a muscle relaxer. Guess opioids are not for me. Turned over gently and had the big pop down the outside of my knee. No pain but scared me to death. Luckily nurse was calling me back and said sometimes the tendon will roll across the new knee and cause that to happen. Day 5 starting off with a bang - literally [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@blissful
I have the arm, leg, and body twitches - had a muscle relaxer for about 2 weeks. It wasn't as bad back then, but has come back somewhat more forcefully now that I am off the 10-12 medicines they originally prescribed. It's not really that bad - doesn't bother me as much as the pain in the knee, but it is annoying. After I get to sleep, it seems to stop, although twice I had my hand near my face while sleeping and woke up to slapping myself due to a twitch! That was kind of unnerving! Hopefully that is all you are experiencing and a muscle relaxer will help.
 
Thanks - mine are quite violent. Never had this before - but hopefully the muscle relaxer will calm them. Hope I don't start knocking myself about! That doesn't sound fun.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OS is changing me out to tramadol and possibly a muscle relaxer.
If you don't find the tramadol enough you may want to take it with the tylenol combination that is recommended on this site.

Gosh @birdwatchr I think I would have jumped out of my skin if I woke up slapping myself in the face :scare:
 
@blissful I had one of those big pops and kind of vibration happen to me around 5 days after my surgery, while I was walking, and it scared the heck out of me, I didn't know if I should move or not, I asked the PA today and she said the same thing, the tendons, I would rather not experience that again, lol
 
I haven't had that yet and hope I don't. It sounds scary.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Yeah - it did scare me awake! Glad it only happened twice. Maybe cause I started to try and keep my hands away from my face! The first time was what the....?? The second time was Huh??? As I looked around and saw no one there! It was weird for sure!
 
It's like you are not in control of your body and there is nothing you can do about it. The pop has made my knee much more flexible with much less pain. The PT came today and said that she has heard of that and agrees with the assessment of the OS's nurse. The tramadol has been great - no jerking of my limbs and the added benefit of sleep - and a lot of it. TMI - the bowels kicked in today - finally and I think I have slept 80% of the day.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom