THR my new hips

Last few days the smoke from the fires has been from unhealthy to dangerous. There's no getting away from it. 27 fires in the west all around us. Everybody is just staying inside. It's got to be terrible for anyone with respiratory problems.
 
Ooh...sorry. Haven't been keeping up with all the wildfire news, all had been in Texas and or upcoming hysteria about Irma. I'm about 60 miles from Savannah on coast and folks are freaking...
Hope you are staying out of it
 
Last edited:
Still a lot of smoke here visibility is about 1/2 mile. Just been staying inside. Haven't been getting in a lot of steps in. A lot of folks are wearing masks outside.A cool front is supposed to enter the NorthWest today. Hopefully it will help with the fires but the big ones will burn until the rains start next month.
Monday will be 12 weeks with slow and steady improvement I've been thinking about trying the bike when the smoke clears.
 
Hi @Gone again
My oh my there are a lot of weather events going on currently throughout the US
Hurricanes, wildfires, smoke.....I guess I'd wear a mask while outdoors too.
Hopefully the cool front you mentioned will help some. I'll bet you feel rather cooped up.
Twelve weeks already!! I'm sure you'll agree, time has really flown. I'm just a couple behind you
and I feel like it's gone by rather quickly.
Remember the days of us all talking about wanting to rid ourselves of our walkers and canes?
Makes me laugh now!
Wishing you continued recovery and a great weekend!
 
I keep telling people on the wildfires @Gone again some places in MT were told not safe to breathe till it snows wildlife all crazy running and to watch the news you would not know over a half a million acres of land on fire ...So sad stay safe
 
Hi Gone again, I am just catching up on everybody's threads did not realize you were in the middle of all that firestorm. Please be safe! Gosh we have brutal winters up here but we don't have any of that floods or hurricanes or fires. Although I'm sure Idaho is beautiful! Please take care of yourself!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Gone again ! I finally got my fitbit. First day I fiddled around with it and had to charge it, and so only got about 5000 steps in. Second day I got 11000 steps pretty easily. Today I am prepping for hurricane Irma. Spent the day cleaning, dragging stuff into the garage and barn, etc, etc, etc, etc. Its only 3pm and I already have 11000 steps in YIKES!!! Gonna be icing a lot tonight for sure!
 
Wow @gwenc you be stepping girl good for you. The weather here has cooled of a bit and wind has blown most of the smoke away for now. I can see the mountains again :happydance:@gaulsuerou Lucky no fire right here but all around us. Montana alone has over a million acres burning. @Layla Yes lm glad to be rid of the walker but still carry the cain around. Getting better but still need it for the first couple steps after sitting for any amount of time. After that I just carry it around.
 
Yesterday was the first day without any cain. Just decided it was time to stop loosing it. Went out and did some shopping. Feel good, still hurts some for the first few steps but once I get going I'm good. I've got most of my stamina back. Still a little swollen and numb but I can wear normal clothes now. Good thing it's starting to cool off now. I'm going to pull the bike down and try going for a ride this morning.
 
@Gone again How did the bike ride go? My numbness hung around for quite a while . Still somewhat on sides of my thighs but finally less or I'm more used to it.
You aren't in the ODIC are you?
 
Well this is day 94 for LTHR and its doing well. First few steps getting easier. I no longer park in the handicap spaces so I can get more steps in. Plus leave them open for those that really need them. @Mojo333 the bike ride was good but short. Still early. It's nice to be able to get my leg over the bike again but it still needs time. I just need to remember to put the operated over the bike or ATV.
My right hip is being good so far as long as I don't overdo things. The right knee is still swollen some so I'll bring that up on my next checkup on the Fifth. I've had torn meniscus in boath knees and had arthroscopic done on them. Don't remember any arthritis in them at that time but it's been years. They are stiff and painful to get on my knees and hard to get up so I avoid doing it. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'. She rearranged the kitchen bacause she knows I won't kneel down to find things in the lower cabinets. Easier to go buy new. And it's my job to keep the top of the refrigerator clean.
 
Hi @Gone again
It sounds like you're doing well! I like keeping up on your
progress as you are only about a week ahead of me in recovery.
Sounds like you and your wife have the kitchen all figured out with
the significant height difference between the two of you, haha!
Wishing you an enjoyable rest of the week and a continued successful recovery!
 
I went cruising around on the four wheeler for these first time the other day.
I was so surprised. It's a Honda Rubicon and is very beefy and heavy and as I am only 5'3" I have a wide "spread" while riding which is the reason I haven't ridden. It had gotten super painful as much as I adored it prior to surgery and I was afraid I would never be able to ride THAT one again. Did not bother me at all!
If course I tried to avoid super jarring terrain but I grinned so hard I got bugs in my teeth!
Good to get back to the good parts of life.
Best to you.
 
I learned about that "op leg over first" the hard way climbing over a fence a week or so ago. I finally found the right solution, and I'm glad it was only hubby who was there! This was the same fence that I overbalanced and fell on landing with my other hip, a few months after surgery. I got over fine, but my heavy flute bag kept going in the direction I turned in, and took me down with it! Fell on hip, no damage, but I wish to be wiser this time around.
 
I do not ride any kind of bike or climb fences always been too Chicken for that. I give you all credit for doing it or Trying

Gone again, you said you were back to wearing normal clothes ...what were you wearing??
 
Hi @Gone again You sound like you are really doing good. My walker has been gone a while but I still use the cane; my OS said for balance til the end of October. I walk perfectly with the cane and don't really use it for support; more balance I guess. Without the cane I do limp but that seems to be improving slowly too. I tend to lose the cane at home or drop it a lot so don't use it much there. Just on outings. I hope the fires slow down in your area soon and some much needed rain happens soon. My parents usually go to Missoula area and Kalispell this time of year but have opted to just go to Great Falls and Havre this year. That's too bad Idaho has been hit so bad too. Are you near Cour'de'laine? I used to camp there a lot in the Sandpoint area and Cour'de'laine every year while growing up. I've been to the big casino about 5 years or so back. Beautiful country. Take care and keep up the great healing. I wish you well. Cheryl
 
Today is 15 weeks since Left THR and things keep improving. Still stiff after sitting but as long as I stand for a few seconds it loosens up pretty quick. The more I walk around the better it is until I almost forget about it. Then the unoperated right side hip will start up and it steadily declines. Went camping all last week with my son and the uneven ground is much more difficult. The first day I followed a trail for maby a quarter of a mile alone.It was fairly flat but I had a real problem returning. I wanted to sit down and rest but I knew I'd get stiffer if I did. Right hip felt like it was full of broken glass by the time I got back to camp.The rest of the time in camp I kept it to short walks close to camp. Going to see the Surgon on Thursday and see about getting a matched pair of hips. Cheryl yes we are close to Coeur D Alene. About 30 minutes.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom