THR my new hips

@Gone again you sound like you are really doing well up there in snow country! You asked about visiting your mother at three months? I'd say go for it. YOu are more than halfway there already. Order a wheelchair at the airport even if you know there will be no need, and if you're renting a car, get one with a cushy seat. Alex the Cat mentioned the 10 hour road trip she drove by herself, and I'll mention my own road trip at almost 4 months-- 600+ miles, I drove about half, we stopped every couple of hours for me to walk for half an hour so it took us a verrrry long time to get to Cape Cod! But it was all ok. I am also flying (to the Cape, oddly) at 5 weeks this time around, for my m-i-l's memorial service. So 1 1/2 hours in a JetBlue Even More Space (or whatever theirs is) seat, and another hour and a half in a car, and then...it's ride the little elevator-for-the-elderly chair up the first flight of steps or climb them one by one. 22 steps I think, and steep as they can be! My happiness will be in the fact that I won't have to carry anything but my purse up that flight OR the next one!

So how is your mom doing? We just got our almost-90 mom through two hospitals and rehab, all for dehydration! But then she had massive anxiety in the first hospital, which caused all kinds of respiratory symptoms she'd never ever had, and then more anxiety, etc etc. But she came home to her assisted living yesterday, and the nice social worker texted me a picture of the happy reunion with her best gal friend at home! One happy ending for us!!!

@Layla oh yes, I trip over my Keenes rubber toes all the time. I know it's a recipe for disaster, but they are big enough to go over the compression stockings, and relatively cool.
 
Wow it's been HOT I think it was 98 yesterday. To hot for this red head :ice: I just can't function when it's hot.im happy at around 60. I did 20 minutes on the reclining bike last night with no resistance.feel ok this morning still taking Tylenol as needed. I only need the cane after I've been sitting for the first few steps then I just carry it around. Then I leave it somewhere and can't find it. I sure annoy myself. I have two canes and can't find either.
 
Heehee. I did that alot with my cane. The food bank I manage is in an old elementary school and the hallway is long with old classrooms serving as food storage. I would have to traverse the 'green mile' (floor is green) to try to figure it where I left it.
A group of college volunteers showed up to help one morning and I told them their first task was to go on a scavenger hunt. "You are looking for a curved object blue metallic resembling a common Christmas treat" I say.
Sometimes I kill me.:loll:
 
LOL ... yes I am losing my paisley blue cane all the time too now that I have past 6 weeks post-surgery. I also have tall wooden walking stick (more like a Gandalf cane for Tolkien fans) which I have used around the home - its big enough that I can't lose it but a little too obvious for simple walks in the neighborhood and local trails.
 
@BoryMcDune if *I* had a Gandalf staff, *I'd* carry it everywhere, in case of Balrogs!

I left my cane in the OS office exam room today!:snork: I only took it to be legal, but these folks don't care how long/short you use what, so long as you are safe and comfortable. I'm sure glad I didn't get halfway home before I remembered it!

@Mojo333 you are too funny with the scavenger hunt.
 
Glad to hear I'm in good company scattering walking sticks about. If we do go to see the mother in law soon I figure I'll need at least six to spread around airports and car rentals. :rotfl:
I went way over, walked three miles yesterday. A little sore but not bad. Worked out in the shop a little. Layed down on a creaper with rollers to get under the truck. Getting back up was interesting,of course I couldn't find a Cain. I'm just glad no one was watching because it took a few tries:chinstroke: I had to get off the floor before the wife got home or I'd never hear the end of it.:bored:
 
Hello @Gone again
It sounds like you are really moving forward......Congrats and continued healing.
I had to laugh at the getting up off the ground part. I must admit, I haven't tried that yet but prior to surgery it
became quite the challenge. An action I once took for granted became something I had to think through! Now you have me wanting to test getting on / off the floor.....my mission for the day......maybe, haha!
A great weekend to you!
 
Wow, getting up off the floor would be quite the challenge. You're really progressing. I'm nowhere near trying that yet but may ask at PT of Tuesday what the proper way would be. Are you doing exercises each day or just doing the walking. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@Gone again I will echo @cpollock ... you got on the floor??? You're only 1 week ahead of me and I can't imagine getting on the floor yet. Nor can I see myself walking 3 miles. WOW.. Congrats!
 
:rotfl: @Gone again ahh yes the early forays onto the floor......I'm amazed you got turned over on your back for the creeper! And then the pushing it around, but I guess that's a move you do often IRL, but I sure don't! I have a sure-fire stupid show-off method for getting up off the floor when stuck. It's the "supported plank with downward dog" position. You have to have a chair or sofa or truck bumper to work with-- crawl to it, assuming you're on your front and can get up on hands and knees of course!, make a frame of your upper arms and elbows, push into a plank position, then drag/pull your rear up into the air while fending off laughs from assorted family members, straighten your tie, and walk off calmly. Careful not to trip over that cane on the floor! Later, this can be done as a simple downward dog, right from the floor. Variation of first one-- rather than go butt-up, fold your good leg underneath you and push off with that into a standing position.
 
Today marks 7 weeks and not a lot to report. Recovery is slow and steady. Walked through Costco on Sunday with no problem. Just need to keep steps short and move slower than usual. I use to blast through Costco. Still have numbness and slight swelling but getting better. Was able to wear normal pants to church although slightly uncomfortable. Elk season starts early September so I'll see how that goes. Don't think I'll be climbing any mountains just staying on trails. I'm a bow hunter so I hav to get up close and personal. Not expecting much but it's all good exercise. A lot of trouble with Bears this year. 3 People being chased on bikes by sows with cubs one I know. A woman was attacked and seriously injured hiking just north of me. Think I'll be carrying bear spray.
 
Hi @Gone again
BEARS!! Scary to me. Can't even imagine being attacked, poor woman!
My husband bow hunts also. He's traveled to the mountains several times hunting Elk. He'd be envious of you living in the midst of it. I hope you stay on trails this season with the new hip.

I've yet to try to put on a pair of jeans. It's been leggings or skirts for me but it's been hot also. It just seems like pants would be uncomfortable on my incision at this point. I'll probably wait another month since the weather will allow.

In re: to walking, what's really helped me is something we've all read on this site and for a long time it went in one ear and out the other. It's walking heel-toe. I think Cheryl reminded me, or someone, of it. Heel strikes ground first. It helps my gait and when I am concentrating.....no limping!

Hahaha! Foil to cover the Tupperware in the fridge......total guy thing!
 
Oh my, I don't like that bear part. I'm glad I live in black bear country. I also was going to mention, you'd never make it in my kitchen! If it's not where I put it (where it Is Always Supposed To Be) I get, shall we say, cranky. A place for everything, and everything in its place. learnt me by my elders and betters. So much more relaxing to know you won't have to search for the top to that Rubbermaid container because it's firmly stuck on top of the container!!! I have containers that are older than my kids! Take Care Of Your Tools is another one, And They Will Take Care Of You!

Slowing down in Costco can be detrimental to the waistline I've found...and the pocketbook!
 
Well my wife likes her plastic containers. We have three drawers full and if we put the tops on all of them we'd be knee deep. But you have to pick your battles. I do most of the cooking since I'm home and I enjoy it. If I'm putting things up to freeze like soup or beans I'll put it up in one gallon ziplock freezer bags. Easy to stack and label and just the right size for one meal for us.
 
Good reminder for gait tip, we have been walking screwy to compensate for our hips. Muscle memory is hard to retrain without conscious effort.
Glad you are working on it...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom