THR my new hips

Howdy from San Diego CA!!! I've just read your recocery thread and am relating to so much of what you have shared and experienced. Today - July 11 - I am four weeks post op from TLHR, posterior approach. Yesterday was my last day of blood thinner and I'm taking Tylenol occasionally for discomfort.

What really piqued my interest in your thread was your comment of feeling a slip in your hip. I've had the same experience several times!! Your idea of reduced swelling is intriguing.... I also was thinking that I need to develop better muscle tone around the implant for its stability. I have follow up with surgeon next Monday and it's on my list to ask about. Is it still happening for you??
 
@Lucielou Hello yes I do have that little movement I'll call it.but only if I let my leg hang and not tighten the muscles going down stairs. Like you mentioned I'm pretty sure it's muscle tone. I don't let it do it,gives me the creeps :eeeuw:
Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cpollock good morning Cheryl yes the side of my hip is still swollen. My butt is almost back to normal. I'm definitely going to loose weight before I get the right side done. At 6'2" 280lb I know It will make the recovery easier. I'm happy you're doing well.
Bill
 
@Gone again ... sounds as though you are doing well overall. Can you believe it has almost been a month since your surgery. It will only get better:loll:

Cannot wait for mine next month, as the pain is becoming unbearable. Off to Atlanta for two weeks tomorrow to see my father, and then a lot of pre-op prep work before August 15th (including getting rid of a low-grade and niggly chest infection).
 
@Gone again You seem to be doing all the right things. 3 weeks was my cabin fever stage... Too much sitting, get tired doing too much walking, minding every buddies business on Bonesmart...lol, hey I don't even do Facebook but I did spend some of time on there. Every time I wanted to push things I just looked at my x-ray picture with the new ball joint and that loooong tie-rod they hammered in there and said, um... Let me let that sucker settle in there a little bit.
It was already rather hot here in Georgia at my 3 week mark and although I'm very good with hot... Apparently the pain meds don't like so when I tried to wander much I would catch a dizzy spell.
Call me paranoid, but I don't want to fall. Glad I did the surgery, don't want to do it again or have someone have to fix something I screwed up. I'm gonna get so good in a few months I won't be able to stand it.
Try to be patient... Keep on doing well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Lerwick8 yes time does fly and thanks for the kind words. Can't wait to get back outside in the yard but leg still feels weak. I live in the hills so no paved areas to walk, only dirt,gravel or grass. Hopefully in another week I'll feel more stable. No falling a big guy like me goes down hard and no one around to help me up. A risk I'm not willing to take.
Get rid of that chest infection it might delay the THR. You'll be on the other side soon.
Bill
 
@Mojo333 cabin fever is no joke. Starting last November I could barely get around. And it was a long winter. I'd have to dope myself up before Running the snow blower out to the chicken coop and plow truck. Then run the plow down the driveway and to the main road, over a mile before 4:00am so my wife could get to work. Then spend the rest of the day elevating and iceing. It was a very long winter.
Mojo I follow your post and thank you for all the effort you put in this forum.
Bill
 
@Gone again - I sure hope you get some strength and stability soon to get more mobility that gets you outside. After a long winter that kept you inside, summer is the reward ... birds, flowers and blue sky.
 
@Gone again How are you doing as of Today? I seem to improve in little ways each day and have felt like myself this whole week. Are you still using the walker full time? I was told by my OS it's mandatory for 6 weeks. And absolutely no crutches for some reason. 26 days post op so what's another 16 days with the walker. Same with the driving, the OS says 6 weeks and won't budge and it would be 8 weeks if it was my right hip. How's your swelling on the Hip? Have you been to PT Yet? On Monday when I go again I will be taught to massage my incision to prevent adhesions. I have another 3 visits with them then my assessment on August 8th. How have you been spending your time? Take care Bill. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock i'm doing pretty good. I stopped using the walker now I'm on crutches. It's a lot easier to use the crutches because I can stand up straight. I haven't been to the PT yet I don't really intend on going. I'm following Josephine's recipe for relief and just walking around the house. It's working really well I'm getting stronger.
Bill
 
Hi @Gone again
I know what you mean about feeling a looseness in the hip, every once in a while more in my right side I feel a little movement, my surgeon described it as the displacement of all those muscles. It takes them a while to tighten back up. It doesn't do it all the time, but when I walk I try to squeeze my butt cheeks together and stay upright and not let it happen LOL. I think it's just part of the recovery, where you live sounds beautiful North Idaho, here in Vermont is beautiful too, rural, but cold in the winter. Glad you are on crutches, and off of the walker, although they both seem to have their place. I switch between the two or nothing at all my house is small and lots of twists and turns and if I don't have to carry anything sometimes I use the crutches. Just checking in I like to follow people's recoveries to see what is ahead for me wishing you continued progress…


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you are doing well Gone again
I got on board with the easy does it train early on too.
Just makes sense when you figure that your body needs to acclimate to new hardware. I know there are those who measure their recovery on how quickly they can do something but honestly I want these new ball joints and tierods to get to feeling really at home before I put them on the track.
I haven't regretted the surgery but sure don't want them to have to go in and fix something I screwed up by being impatient.
I am 2 1/2 months post op for double hip replacement and STILL take it easy though I am pretty sure I can do whatever I'd like to do.
Maybe it's just paranoia rather than prudence... But I feel better and better every day.
You will continue to be a great comfort to those coming after us.
Best wishes
 
Well done on a great recovery so far Gone again.
After I got my hips done my surgeon said to me.
The best exercise for walking...... Is walking.........
And when you think about it why wouldn't it be.
Isn't it great when you start to feel like doing things.
Keep it going.
Joe.......
 
@Gone again - Good to hear you can finally use the crutches. I have surprised myself how happy I am each time I can do something new post-op that I previously couldn't. Celebrate the small wins and don't push for the big ones, they will come.
 
Well I broke the 4 week milestone. Now im just using a Cain. When I first stand I need to stretch before walking. Heal toe baby steps vary little pain if any. No drugs feel pretty good but I get tired easy. Saturday I got on the riding mower and mowed the lawn. Takes about an hour. My wife emptied the grass bags so I didn't have to get on and off the mower. Felt good to do something. Then a little puttering in the garage and back up stairs. I was shot not to sore but tired. Went to bed early. Slept 7 hours straight! Boy did that feel good. That's the longest I've slept in ? Not sure 6-8 weeks. I'll take it. Surgery sure took a lot out of me.
I don't really need help with anything except putting on socks and tying shoes. My thigh is still numb and a little sore above the side of the knee.
I don't see the OS for another two weeks. Should be a lot stronger by then. In five weeks there's a Good Guys hot rod show in Spokane I always go to. We're planing on going. It will be hot and a lot of walking but I'm thinking I'll be up to it.
 
Awesome! You sound great. Getting chores done and all....you should bring your cane to the Hot Rod show whether you're needing it or not, sends a clear signal to others to give you space.
Continued healing to you!!
 
Good for you, Gone again! I know the sleep thing is what had me the most out of sorts with my OA pain, and still had a hard time doing a straight few hours the first weeks of surgery. Now I sleep 6-8 hours per night. Remarkable what that can do for your attitude and energy level. Yay for THR is what I say.
Glad you are doing well.
 
Hey @Gone again,
Where are you......how are you?
It seems you've been quiet.
Hope it's cause your gettin'' after it all and have just forgotten about us.
If so... a great weekend to you!
 
You sound great @Gone again your sleep is coming along too which helps. I've been off meds since Tuesday so exactly 1 month. I haven't needed it. I'm still using the walker because I've been told to by both PT and the surgeon. Tried the cane and that works good but was told not yet. You are right, this surgery takes a lot out of us. Our body is pulling energy to heal our hip. Do you see your OS on August 2nd Too? That's my date. I can't remember the last time I could put my socks on or tye shoes. I've been using a sock puller and slip on schetcher runners for a few years. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom