THR my new hips

@Gone again You are very wise to listen to your body and go in to ice and recline. It's good you enjoyed the main part. My son turns 37 on July 4th, the same day as my staples removal and physio. There's about 10 of us that get together on birthdays and have supper then go to the birthday persons house for cake.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Well I got up this morning to a pleasant surprise. Much easier to get out of bed. It's been kind of a struggle getting up.
 
@Gone again yay, we made it 2 weeks. How are you Feeling? Are you getting enough sleep? Tomorrow is my first physio and I also get my staples removed. I hope you're doing OK. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
This morning going down stairs I can felt a looseness in my new hip. Just a little a couple of times when stepping down. I'm assuming this is because the swelling is going down and the muscles are week. Anyone else experience this ? @cpollock congrats on you're two week anniversary. Hope you are progressing well. Sleep is a hit and miss thing. It's a beautiful morning in north Idaho.
Bill
 
@Gone again I have an odd feeling in my new hip too. Almost like I can tell the prostheses is stuck in there. There is some soreness too. I have done no stairs, our home is ranch style all on one level. When do you start going to physio? Have a good day. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock I'm not sure about the PT probably not till after I see the doctor at six weeks. Biggest problem now is trying to sleep through the night a lot of tossing and turning going on.
 
@Gone again I think we all have a sleep issue going on. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon. Ive been taking half a zoplicone sleeping pill at night and it does help. How does your hip feel Today? Take care my friend. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock My hips feeling pretty good. I was glad to hear your PT went well and you're doing good. I'd like to go outside for a walk but we live in the mountains on a dirt road so our driveway is gravel not good for a walker. It's going to be in the high 90s F the next few days so I'll be hiding. my wife went back to work today so I'm all by my lonesome for a little bit.
Bill
 
@Gone again Cookies are good! I can't wait to get back on the road bike. I ran across country and track in HS. I was better at track, so it is only natural I'm a road-bike guy. My other hobby is music. I actually felt like playing last night. Recovery is tough, it is hard to do PT and have any strength left to do other stuff.
You're coming up on three weeks, so you are well on the way to being able to go play outside or in the garage again!
 
Anyone done any traveling 3 months after THR? Trying to see my 92 year old mother in law before I have the next hip done in Sep. It would mean a 2 hour plane flight and another 2 hour car ride. I'm not sure I'll be up to it :shrug:If we can't do it around Sep then it will have to be next spring. I have to be home in the winter to keep the road open.
 
I had my left THR on May 17th, was allowed to drive from two weeks post op and am planning a trip to Australia (24 hour journey with 21 hours flying) in October - in fact I have just booked my ticket!! At four weeks post op I had to drive 4 1/2 hours to my aunt's funeral ( actually I did half the driving and my sister did the rest). You need to check with your surgeon but I believe it is normally three months before they will let you take a flight over two hours.
 
I didn't fly, but I did take a 10-hour road trip three months after my THR. I was the only driver, but it was fine. I stopped every 3 or 4 hours to walk around a little.
 
Well Monday will be 3 weeks. I'm only taking Tylenol when I need it or remember about it. Went all the way down stairs yesterday, 20 steps to reset the timer on the cooler. I had no problem but the wife wasn't happy. She's afraid I'll fall and be there till she gets home. I'll have to show her I can do the stairs and be ok. I'm bored off my butt. Got weeds taking over the garden,O well. Won't be able to do anything about that till it's to late.
Temp hit 99 yesterday about the same today.
I can be on my feet about 20 minutes before it starts to bother me, still using the walker I tried the crutches I had from when I tore the right PCL but they're awkward. Got the walker set up with a basket and a grabber. It still needs lights and backup beeper. My wife said I can't have a Still not sleeping well but improving.
Tomorrow I'll talk my better half into a small road trip to any where.
Happy healing.
Bill
 
@Gone again You sound great and doing really well. I haven't done stairs as I don't have any at home. My only outing was to physio last Tuesday and no stairs there. And you take little Tylenol? Awesome. Sounds like you have cabin fever, definitely time for an outing. Take care. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@Gone again Since I am an ex-runner, bicycle -rides keep me sane and in a 38" wasist, lol. I like to eat way to much, so besides liking to ride, it also helps to burn calories. I always seem to be in pursuit of a smaller waist size, sigh.
 
Well it's a beautiful morning in north Idaho. My Daughter has Ben a great help I'm watering the garden. But unfortunately she forgot to turn the electric fence back on and the deer got in and destroyed two small cherry trees. They didn't touch the apples. Oh well that's the price of living in the mountains. I'm going to bite the bullet this fall and replace them with larger trees.
 
Oh heavenly!
Living in the mountains...deer....apple and cherry trees......you are blessed!
Hope your recovery is going well. Enjoy the beautiful weather and fresh mountain air!
 
Gone again, anything magical about a September date for the second replacement? I am 11 days ahead of you and also thinking about the first week of September. My next doc appt is July 21 and I hope to get get a date then. For me it is going to be mentally tougher going thru the recovery process a second time it I don't want this dragging on forever. Christian


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well I'm 3 weeks in and feeling pretty good.the swelling is going down. All around the incision is super sensitive,still taking Tylenol and a blood thinner.I wish this walker would stop following me around. @a0167913 Christian nothing special about Sep. If I do the other hip this year I need to be able to manage the snow this winter. Usually not much till after Christmas. So I may wait till spring. I'll see how this one goes. Plus if I wait maby I can get an Elk this winter and fill the freezer.
Yes it is a mental thing but I'm thinking I need a break from all this sitting. My right hip has been ok so far of course it's getting a lot of rest also. Thought it would be barking at me by now. It's a Quandary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Gone again yay buddy, 3 weeks have passed for us...? Day 22. I like you feel pretty good. I still have swelling in the hip area and especially down lower by the bottom of the incision. I'm icing a lot but haven't been laying on the bed with my leg on pillows much. I do recline in the recliner though. Is your swelling on the side of your hip Also? I'm glad you are doing well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom