THR my new hips

Hello all. Well it's day three and our 43rd anniversary. Don't think we'll be going out dancing but it's a glorious day. My progress seems good,stiff when I first get up but the hip loosens up some after walking a little bit. Not to much swelling,none on the lower leg and vary little bruising.
They have me on 10 mg oxycodone hcl every 12 hours and oxycodone hcl/apap 5/325 one- two tablets every 4 hours as needed .I think the second one is Percocet?
Docusate sodiun 100 mg every 12 hours
Senokot 8.6mg every 12 hours
And a blood thinner
Pain meds are for one week only, is that about normal ?
No bowell movement yet. I cut down to 1 of the Percocet last night and had about 2 cups of prune juice yesterday and drinking lots of water and eating regularly. Now I'm waiting ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing really well. Hope you don't have to wait too long!
 
I was given one weeks worth of Oxycodone pain. Is that all I should need? I don't want to use it any more than I need to but also don't want to cut it off to soon either.
 
I was given one weeks worth of Oxycodone pain. Is that all I should need?
No, one week on pain meds is definitely not enough. I would call your family doctor and get additional meds. You need your medication to get mobile. Please do not cut down on the doses - far too early for that.
 
I'm glad Jaycey answered that..my it sounded crazy to me. I think I needed them more the second well than I did the first because maybe things were still so numb. The more it comes back to life the more it hurt. After 3 weeks it seems like I missed a dose here or there in the day, but also did 1000 mg of Tylenol. My insurance only let me pick up a 7 day supply so I had to get new script every week and had to pick up hard copy and deliver to pharmacist. Sure to all of the added scrutiny on opiod addiction I'm guessing? Jaycey is dead on. The meds allow you to be mobile and rest some and you need them.
Best wishes.
 
@Jaycey and @Mojo333 thank you for the response. I called the doctors office and checked they said refills are no problem for Percocet and they expected to do refills just keep in touch. I didn't understand the insurance thing @Mojo333 was talking about with a new script every week. Well that's a relief.
Thanks ever so much.
Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Gone again How are you doing now? A little better. I was not sent home with oxy. Just tramacet.
Do you sleep on your back? What were you advised?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock Hi.it's one week congratulations :thumb: I'm improving slowly. Had a terrible bout with contapation yesterday so lm back on the prune juice.
Sleeping on my back with extra pillows to keep me up and one under knees. I sleep better in the recliner.
Oxy is gone tomorrow then I Start Percocet every 12 hours as needed.
How's the Tramacet working for you. I was told to use the walker until 6 week checkup. I don't think it will be nessary.
 
@Gone again yes a whole week has gone by and it's been a roller coaster ride. Very little sleep the last couple days due to a dry tickle cough. It seems to take hold when I doze off, hence little sleep. Do you get this at all? My constipation has disappeared after finally having that awful bowel movement Saturday morning. Now I have a sore butt, hehe. Tramacet seems to be working ok for hip pain. I was told 6 weeks for walker too and no exceptions unless released by the doctor or physio.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock no cough here. Still not sleeping very well,some pain but not bad. The Log leg is getting a little better. Our House is multi level and I had promised to stay on the upper floor for a week. So today the plan is to go down to the kitchen level and out on the deck to get some sun.
 
I was told to use aids for walking until I could walk ok with no limp. I used walker a little over a week and cane until about week two when I gradually stopped using it in the house. However, there are a lot of variables. I had anterior and then each person recovers at a different rate. I personally think recovery may have a lot to do with your condition before your surgery, too. But I have nothing to back that up. It is just my opinion. I had not quite reached the point where I needed a cane all the time prior to surgery so I was still getting around well. You will all get back to walking normally and the grand prize is no more hip pain!! :wowspring:
 
@Gone again good you don't have a cough, I'm prone to dry hacking coughs at the tail end of colds. Seem to settle in my larynx. I did manage a few hours sleep last night and a few little naps. I was going to say happy anniversary to you and your wife. 43 years, that's awesome. Enjoy the sun when you get out, get your vitamin D naturally.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Just a quick update. I had stopped doing the Hip abduction and heel slides for 2days simply because they were to painfull. I started them up again yesterday and to my surprise now they are almost painless. I'm down to 1 Percocet evert 4 hours or so,and I'm pretty sure I didn't take them in the middle of the last night.
I've been making some of my meals although can't be on my feet for long before it starts hurting.
But some major progress. My wife and daughter are like two Pit Bull making sure I don't over do things.
How is your progress going?
Bill
 
@Gone again I just started doing heel slides yesterday with my husbands assistance and my leg is very stiff. Just 10 reps very gentle twice a day. I do continue ankle pumps and butt clenched as instructed. My first physio is Tuesday along with my staples removal. I agree, only do PT stuff that feels comfortable. Walking is best. I love that your wife and daughter are keeping a watchful eye on you. It makes recovery better because you can relax and heel. Same here, my husband has been great. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Gone again!!! Just ckin in on you!! Been a while I am coming along great!! Doing things myself a little more...try not to depend on the hubbie as much. 8 days post op and walking around over 6 times day..doing PT exercises 3x day! Had incision glued...healing nicely..went in shower No problem lifting leg over tub! Dressing self and stairs a lot all day I have a 4 level house..think the best advice I ever got was my PT telling me only 3 days in to get out of bed ...to downstairs in main floor (recliner) and only go in bedroom at bedtime...I was way more active on main level for sure!! I hope you are coming along well and continued good recovery!! Hugs :)
 
@Donnarita wow sounds like you're doing great. But remember not to overdo it Josephine says take it easy.
I had another problem with constipation last night. Mostly my fault with diet.i don't think I really need the Percocet any more been taking Tylenol since yesterday and is doing fine. The whole family is coming today for our annual Fourth of July BBQ I'm sitting this one out and supervise it. It will be the first time I've been in the back yard since the Surgery. I'm sure I'll be fine but it still two flights of stairs.
Thanks for checking up on me.
Bill
 
@Gone again enjoy your bbq. The 4th of July is my sons birthday. I'm from Canada so Canada day is today. I won't be going into town this year for any of the festivities. I haven't had any oxy narcotics since day 2 in the hospital. I took tramacet til last Saturday morning and have been taking extra strength Tylenol now the last week. It's managing really well for me and no more bowel issues.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
@cpollock glad to hear you're doing well. Happy birthday to your son. I used the heavy drugs to long,following Docs orders. Just Tylenol now and feel better. I stayed out for most of th BBQ then went it to ice & recline.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom