Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Hi @bkish, we are practically surgery sisters! I had to laugh because before my second one I said I didn't know if I should be relieved because I know what is going to happen or terrified because I know what is going to happen! My back has certainly complicated both of my recoveries. You will do great but I did learn or I am trying to learn to quit comparing my knees. I thought I had it all down, only to have the second one behave differently. The positive thing is it is behind me and now the recovery is happening. When I'm all done I can get back to hiking and riding my bike without that knee pain! My knees were so bad I couldn't exercise anymore and I knew that would soon affect my health so I knew it was time. I will follow your recovery and this group is amazing! They come along side of you when you can't hold yourself up and pick you up with encouragement!

@sistersinhim, thanks for the encouragement. YOU are one of the double whammy's! You just keep going and you do it with little outside help. Yesterday you were talking about getting on your riding lawn mower just amazed me! I truly hope you don't try that yet! That lawn needs to wait, maybe the weeds should to.... I know how the weeds drive you crazy, I try to pull a few each time I am out. The hubby always tells me to stop but he isn't bothered in the least about weeds amoung the flowers, don't understand that!! I hope you are having a good 4th. I'm celebrating with icing and elevating! We had a family cookout last night that just about did me in!:friends:
 
Good morning Becky. Glad you had a nice family BBQ even if it wore you out. Sounds like you are in a better place than a couple of days ago - I'm glad for that. Have a great holiday with plenty of rest.
 
Hey Becky. I'm just sitting here watching TV and reading BS posts. I did not get on the lawn mower yesterday evening. I'm just not up to it yet. I did get out this morning for about an hour and pulled grass and weeds, but no vinegar spraying. We have 50% chance of showers this evening and all that time and vinegar will just be wasted if it does rain.

I understand what you are saying about your hubby. My BFF has been helping some, but does not see all this mess in the walkway, patio and flowerbeds. She did keep the litter boxes cleaned when I was non weight-baring and couldn't get down the steps to the screened-in porch. Now, that I'm walking I'm on my own again. But, with God's strength, things will get done!

You will get back to that hiking and bike riding! And you'll do it painfree! Something you couldn't do before the tkrs because of the pain. You have crested that hill and now are on the way down!
 
Hi @kmak81230, thank you, yes I feel better emotionally for sure. I think coming off the stronger drugs was right for me but it sure was a hard weekend. For me, I think they also took some of my fighting spirit away. I need all the fight I can get! We did have a good BBQ last night. We were at one of my daughters house and we could watch the big fireworks display from her yard. I had PT in the morning so it made for a longer day. It's good to do something semi normal though! I actually put on real clothes instead of workout clothes I wear to PT! It's really rainy today so no plans but to elevate and ice and watch my hubby as he cleans out the attic.... I am resisting to urge to complain with everything he is dragging down to get rid of. It's landing in the living room for right now and I hate clutter. BUT the attic really needed this so I'm ignoring that part of me and reading bonesmart. I hope you get to do something fun today. Happy 4th!
 
@sistersinhim in him, I'm really glad you resisted the urge to cut your grass yesterday! If VA is like TN in rainfall, it doesn't take long to get a jungle out there. Have a restful day and spray that vinegar tomorrow!
 
You are getting all that rain, and we are dry as a bone. So, weeds and grass are really tough to pull up, but the yard itself hasn't grown too much, thank God. My breaks are 6 weeks old now, so the end should be in sight!
 
Becky, I too had to convince my OS to prescribe the Tramadol but once he did, it was a great step down pain med when taken daily with the Tylenol. I honestly got the feeling he had never prescribed it before. Anyway, I took that for quite some time and did ease off of it as well (when the time came). It has an effect on serotonin and I've had an issue with serotonin syndrome before with other meds - so I tapered off quite slowly.

Hang in there. You're doing great! And remember, those emotional ups and downs come hand in hand with this recovery (unfortunately).
 
I am glad to hear you are in a better place and had a nice 4th of July celebration at your daughter's house. :flwrysmile: We are all here for you when you need us. We know you are here for us whether we are celebrating or venting. It would be very hard for me to cope with this recovery without BoneSmart.
 
I'm glad you're in a better place. I wonder about tramadol. I feel like even taking the percoset around the clock, I can't ever get a relief from the pain. And it's starting to affect my psyche. I hate everyone and everything. I just want to find a comfortable position, not just one that hurts less.
 
Jenn, you should still be taking your pain meds on a regular schedule. If you're doing that and still in a lot of pain, phone your surgeon and ask for something different. Also, make sure that you aren't trying to do too much. I know it's hard with 3 children, but rest is what you need the most.
 
For you and Jennszoo::console2:
I hope you find good pain relief. There are so many new medications available. Surely a good doctor can help you some way.
Maybe even say to Doc: "be a good doc for me, help me combat this pain at this stage.":shrug:
 
Good morning @Jennszoo, I hope you were able to sleep last night. I so understand how you feel and that pretty much sums up where I was. My OS PA, had prescribed Dilaudid for me instead of Percocet. At that time I asked for Trammadol and she said if Percocet didn't work Trammadol and Tylenol wouldn't for sure. I agreed to try it. Dilaudid made me feel pretty much like the Percocet did. I tried it for about two weeks.

At that time I made the decision to change to Loritab 10mg. I take that every 4-5 hours and then take 1 500 mg Tylenol every 6. I was afraid that wouldn't control the pain, but once I had the opiates out of my system it does great. I would recommend weaning off though as @Celle has described. I didn't do it that way and had a very tough weekend.

We definitely still need regular pain relief where we are in recovery but this works better for me and my psyche. I do intend on asking my OS when I see him on the 20th for the Trammadol script. I will see him and not the PA. I had the Loritab because originally I was going to try that straight from the hospital, but it wasn't strong enough to control the pain.

Balancing the meds is like walking a tightrope for me. I just know the stronger opiates were making me worse but I also still need something that works. I hope you find what is best for you. Hugs. :friends:
 
Becky, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the family BBQ, even if it did make you tired! Sometimes, the exhaustion is really worth it, especially when it gives you a hefty dose of "normal!" If there were good ribs, it was really worthwhile, lol.

It's unfortunate the pain meds are such a dilemma for so many; pffft! I was incredibly fortunate in that respect, but if I hadn't been, I would have tried anything and everything to provide the needed relief until I met with success. And those meds are needed, even when we really, really don't want to take them. Pain and discomfort without appropriate relief create so much stress on our bodies and emotions and it's exhausting. Not a good recipe for healing.

I don't think there's any pain med that eradicates all traces of pain, but we all need to feel relatively comfortable during those first nightmare weeks. I was foolishly stubborn the first two weeks about taking just 5 mg of Oxycodone, versus the 10mg I was allowed. Looking back, I really don't know why; I needed the 10mg whether or not I liked that idea. My OS convinced me of that and it made a huge, positive difference. When things began to look up, I had no trouble weaning off them gradually. Bottom line: don't be a martyr and suffer needlessly. If your pain meds make you ill or weepy, ask for something else.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Becky, I'm so happy you are feeling better! What a relief! Je
Jenn, so sorry to read that you are struggling with pain. Like everyone else I can't image coping with pain and being the mother of 3 children. That is truly unbelievable. It's hard enough for me to have a revolving door of grandchildren all the time, I couldn't have them here 24/7. They even call me at work and want to know when I will get home. I'll be so glad when school starts. :dogwalk: Hurry up September! I love them all, but when the 3 ten year old girls get together drama happens.:yikes: My 3 daughters each had a daughter in the same year. We all live less than 2 miles apart. They are all bike riding kids which has increased their freedom. With 8 granddaughters and 3 grandsons, (one 5 year old great-grandson) life is never dull around here.:rolleyes:
 
@jaschembra that is interesting about the serotonin levels, I will have to explore and read about that. I am asking for Trammadol when I go back in. I don't really know the difference in strength between that and Loritab, I will have to explore. I will make sure I wean more carefully than I did this last weekend!!!

@VW54 thanks for encouraging. I feel like I have evened out with the meds now but it took a bit to get there. It would have be wonderful if it were simpler....oh well, not much is!:wink:

@knit2tog isnt it amazing how people from literally around the world and all walks of life come together to form this group and support each other??:wowspring:

@AlaskaGrandy, I love your story about your grandkids and yet totally understand how it can wear you out! My husband and I do talk about selling and moving closer to at least one set of grandkids where they could walk or ride bikes to our house. 3 of our daughters live in town but not close enough for that. Chattanooga is really spread out. We are opposite, we have 6 grandsons and this will be the 3rd granddaughter any day now. As a mother of girls I know...there is much more drama with girls, ha ha. :spin:
 
@Pheebs52 yes the drug dilemma....I knew I still needed them, the question was what. Hopefully it's pretty settled for now. Believe me I take my pain meds, I just needed a change in them! I don't want to hurt, that takes energy I don't have! If I end up with the dreaded MUA in the future who knows what happens then.

It's pouring rain again and I am stashed up in the bed with lots of pillows! I wanted to say curled up but my right knee doesn't curl....I may start calling her Beelzebub again :gaah:. I had PT this morning and I'm pretty wiped out so enjoying bonesmart and hopefully a nap. I'm a little crazy but I love the rain and a good storm!:yahoo:
 
I love listening to rain on the roof, especially when I don't have to go out. In bed with a good book makes it even better; enjoy!

Someday we'll have *curly* knees, lol. :heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom