Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

@mechellec, isn't it great to come out of the Throne-Slider closet? Who knew there were so many of us? Hahaha!
 
Becky, one other thing that might be worth mentioning is a back-belt. Do you have one? They can be purchased at any pharmacy. They definitely offer some relief though are poo-pooed by PT's because they prefer you use your own muscles. Well, we know that's not always possible, right? Yeah, we do, and the back belt can really help.
 
Massage really helped me with all the muscles that have been pulled out of alignment with my limping and laying around all day.
 
Becky, I just thought of two more things that you may already have in your back arsenal, but if not, they really help and are the following: Lidocaine Patches. They work very well for up to 12 hours and I think can now be bought OTC at any pharmacy. They're big and cover a wide area. The second is muscle relaxers. I have Soma, (Carisoprodol) which is very powerful, and makes me sleepy, but that's ok when the back just won't quit. If I need one in the daytime I cut it in half.
 
Thanks @jennzoo and @pheesbs52 for the suggestions. I actually do use the lidocaine patches already and the doc has me on flexeril for a muscle relaxer. That knocks me out for hours when I take it so I try not to use it. I have robaxin I can use for muscle relaxer that doesn't make me so sleepy but not as powerful. I can get another epidural but I got one just a week before this right knee was done and I think it won't help much until my gait is somewhat normal and I'm not lying in a recliner in a crazy position so much. The frequent back pain as well as the flexion being so slow is really wearing at me. I need to get my gratitude journal out and start writing in it again. I don't I don't want back surgery so there has to be some other options out there I hope and pray!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well guess I will join the club as well! It was always great to take my mind off the "throne" business by sliding as far as I could! :loll:

I was going to suggest pain patches, which seemed to help my back, but if you are already doing that and it isn't helping, I am at a loss...any hope of hip stretches? Heating pad?

Hope you find relief soon! :sigh:
 
Becky, no, you definitely don't want back surgery, at least not this year; aaaccck! I like @LindaO's idea about the heat, 'cuz I use a heating pad on my back ALL the time. Seriously, I do. Of course, you can't use it with those pain patches on; pffft! I've tried both those muscle relaxers you mentioned and they really didn't help me. However, Carisoprodol (Soma) does! It's worth an inquiry to your doc and a try. After all, we do have *twin* backs; ugh!

Just curious: how high are you elevating your leg? I found if in the recliner or on the sofa, the Lounge Doc was too high and aggravated my back/sciatica. It was great in bed when I was lying flat though. I had to resort to a two-pillow (firm ones) elevation for chair and sofa. It puts the knee above the hips, just not toes above nose. Like you, for about 2 solid weeks, my back gave me more pain than anything else. It's improved, so that means yours will s well. If not, you can sue me.:sigh:
 
@LindaO , good that you signed up fast for the *Throne-Sliders*! The T-Shirts are selling like hotcakes!
 
Becky, here's one other desperado sounding path to back relief that helps me. Go to a pet-store and buy a red, rubber Kong ball. Stand flat against any wall and rub that baby in to your most spazzed-out areas. Rub back and forth fairly hard and then hold it there hard, until you feel a knot release. It's basically accupressure and actually works.
 
I feel for you two with your back issues!! As if you don't have enough to ache about .....and save me a throne-slider t-shirt - this club is much more fun than the ODIC.:sick:
 
I second Pheebs comment about elevation in the recliner possibly being too high if that is the case. When I reduced my elevation in the recliner, my back issues started to be less of an issue.
 
I had bad sciatic pain while still in hospital, day 4 and 5 and used acupressure on myself. After 3td try it worked. Perhaps it's something for you too?
 
Becky, thinking of you and really hope you are doing something enjoyable because you are in less pain?
 
Hi, I took yesterday off from everything I guess including bone smart. I think I hit an all time low in this recovery of staged knees. I was at the point where I felt like I was never going to get better or feel normal or like myself. It seems like I have been doing this forever but it's just been since March. I just want to be me again....:hairpulling:

I'm so frustrated that no matter what I do I can't make my knee bend. I know, I know all the right things and the guidelines. For this type A personality it's hard because I've always thought if you try hard enough and are determined enough you can do what you need to do. I can't do this. I know it will happen when it's ready.

I also decided I had to go off the opioids. I have been on them just days shy of a month. I started cutting the OxyContin from twice a day to once a day and was trying longer stretches between Dilaudid. I actually started to have some withdrawal symptoms which really really scared me. At that point I stopped everything cold turkey. Yesterday was really bad with shakiness, high BP (I usually run low) heart palpitations and nervousness and lots of crying. I am taking Loritab every 4 hours now and putting 1 Tylenol in every 6 hours to help hold. I do have break through pain but I will handle it. The last 3 days were tough but I feel much calmer and stronger today so hoping the worst is behind me. I am being really vulnerable here. I've never had to take the strong meds before these surgeries and I really don't understand the addiction to them. They make me feel so crazy. Obviously they must do something different to people that want them!!

Thanks @Pheebs52 for checking on me.

@VW54 could you explain how you did acupuncture on yourself? Is it pressure points?
 
I'm sorry. Im having a rough day too. Pain went backwards and I have all these worries about DVT and infection when things aren't steadily improving. Hang in there, surgery sister.
 
@Jennszoo, I know, I worry about all those things too when I don't progress like I should. I have a hard time shutting my brain off. You are doing this with much more responsibility than I have to deal with. I'm amazed how you handle it all with your kids. We will make it sister!
 
(((Becky))) and (((Jenn))) sometimes, a hug is the best medicine. This is a strong one for both of you. See that silly smirk on my face? Yeah. I couldn't have done that just a few weeks ago, because then, I just wasn't *me.* Now I am; magic! Does it mean I feel great and have become a Gumby? No, hardly, but it's all so much more manageable in just the last two weeks, with a big improvement this week. You guys will get there, inch by inch, and if you're anything like me, some of the positive changes will come as a surprise. Those are my faves, like yesterday, when my foot and leg actually moved the way they are supposed to; yikes! I literally had to pinch myself, 'cuz I had no idea where it came from. How cool is that? However, it didn't last for the whole day, it was just a few hours of normalcy. I'll take it, it's a good sign! So, look for the small signs and rest assured, you're both getting better, you just don't know it yet; pffft!

Sooo, just look under your bed for some extra patience. It's there between the dust bunnies, the shoes, and your out of season clothing. It's in a red box for power! You have the power, as you've both proven before with Knee Number One!

Now, if you need a good laugh, watch some old "Fawlty Towers." I dare anyone not to laugh at Basil Fawlty's silly walk.:friends:
 
P.S. We're all entitled to a blue period....look at Picasso. He didn't even have a TKR.
 
P.P.S. : we've all worried about blood clots and infections. How many here have actually had them? Not many......
 
The length of this recovery is crazy LONG!! The successes are there, but hardly noticeable. But, when you look back over the last 2 weeks and think about it you can realize the difference. I see a big improvement when I ride my 3 wheeled bike than those days I don't. So, I will be riding everyday. It hurts for the first 3 minutes, then the knees stretch out. Please do not loose hope Becky, I feel your pain and discouragement. Days and days of frustration and pain can really do a number to your head. Quitting pain meds so quickly is not a good idea. Tapper off slowly. Withdrawals are creepy, so avoid them by taking it slowly. God bless.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom