MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

@liam2015, I just had a thought about your roommate in the hospital. (actually it was around 3a when I couldn't sleep yet again) My surgery was late in the day so PT didn't come that evening as it was after 7p when I got out of PACU. I was able to lift my leg off the bed that evening. When PT came I did the normal walk thing they have you do. I was still able to lift my leg off the bed on its own. Also when I sat on the side of the bed I had 90 flexion but it hurt to go further. BUT by the time I came home I couldn't do any of those things. That happened with my first knee as well. I think it had to do with the cocktail of meds my OS uses pre, during and post. When those wear off it's back to starting at ground zero. Maybe her "cocktail " hadn't worn off yet :giggle:
 
Yes! Very similar thing I experienced with myone knee. On the 3rd day after the big fat bandage got taken off, I could bend knee around 90 ° without much pain, some discomfort yes. I was told NOT to try more until stitches came out. :shrug:When I went home on day 6, could barely reach 70°. (am back to 90° now, almost 4 weeks later)
The meds they had me on while at the clinic were almost double the dosage from what I got to take home. That'll explain it in part.
 
I, too, was able to bend more right afterwards in the hospital than I was the next day at home. In the hospital you have much more medication, plus, you're down more. Once released, you have to first off get into the car and travel with you leg partially down, then get out and get into the house, then do the things you have to do just to survive. This is tons more activity than what you do in the hospital, so your knee swells. Of course, that means less ROM. Becky, you know, right off the bat, even with all the bandage on, you got 90*. It's there, your swelling just has to go down. Extra work won't do it. It'd just make it swell worse, so do the normal things we recommend to reduce swelling and your knee, eventually, will come down and that bend will go up!
 
A lot of people find when they get home that their knee doesn't bend as much as it did in hospital. I think it's because you get a slight increase in swelling, possibly the result of the journey home and a little bit more activity at home. The knee will improve again.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<
[Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<
Does anyone else feel like they are in Punxsutawney? Every day I wake up and it seems I keep re-living the same day. For our friends across the sea, I'm not sure if you know about or have seen the movie Groundhog's Day? In the movie they are stuck in a time warp so to speak and they keep re-living the same day over and over. In the movie that particular day happened to be Groundhogs Day.

Well it's not February but I sure feel like it's the same day over and over. I see some very small improvements, but not a lot. I have managed to put my shoe on and tie it a couple of times. Flexion still not improving. The swelling is down quite a bit but still swollen. I will post a picture from yesterday. If you look back in my pics you will see I had excessive swelling compared to the left knee done in March. I know, I know we shouldn't compare...

I have walked to the end of the block and back the last three evenings. It hasn't caused any additional swelling or pain. I know walking is good for flexion.

My youngest daughter's baby is due July 12. I so want to be able to stand in one place for longer than 15 minutes before then. I am trying to get my stamina up but it's so slow. This is her first baby and she is the baby of the family. We have four daughters and they are really close. This is grandbaby number 9 and for all the deliveries they have had the other 3 sisters and myself in the delivery. Oh yeah, we did let the dads in too... it is really a hearts desire that I will be able to be in there with them. I'm also posting a picture of the 5 of us at her baby shower. I was 12 days post op in that picture and if you know me you can tell by my expression that it took all I had to get that picture made. If you think about it I would appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts concerning this. Here's to good sleep tonight!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on grand baby number 9 coming soon! That is so exciting. I love that you have four close daughters. My three daughters and I are all very close too (and my son too but this is about daughters). I love that you all will be in the delivery room together.

Keep walking and your icing and elevating and I am sure you will be all ready for delivery day. Fingers crossed and praying your knee will be up for the big day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What lovely daughters you have, Becky!

We'll get your pictures re-sized for you.
 
What a beautiful family! I'll be crossing my fingers and saying prayers for you to be standing comfortably in the delivery room for your new grandbaby. I didn't have daughters (my sons know I wanted one girl, at least), and think it's amazing to have such close bonds with your daughters.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes. Girls are really different than boys for sure. What's funny is we have 6 grandsons (7 if you count a foster baby one daughter is hoping to adopt) and this will make 3 granddaughters. My hubby deserves a medal for living with 5 women in the house all those years!
 
That he does, Becky. I lived for decades in the Testosterone Temple. No one to shop with, but at least my clothes never went missing. I have a little granddaughter and enjoy her so much!
 
How blessed you are, Becky, with those beautiful daughters! I will continue to pray for your healing.
 
I just finished PT. She measured me today, she doesn't usually measure since I have been so slow in making progress. I think so I won't cry... So she measured before she did any massage or warmup just to see what I could do on my power and I got 70!! It's not amazing but last week I was in the 40's. I don't even remember what we were doing but something set off my left toddler knee, oh my word it hurts. She wasn't even working on it. We iced it there and will continue at home but it's crazy to be hurting more in the left than right!! Home to elevate and ice, maybe even a nap!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
30 degrees more in one week! Woohoo! You go girl! And the best thing about it, it was a surprise! Praise God!

Ice both knees and get a nice long nap!
 
Hang in there Becky. Thinking of you and sending a prayer up today. I know YOU will feel better soon.:console2:
 
Congrats on your increase. Perhaps your left knee felt a bit jealous today. A bit of rest and you'll be ready to go!
 
Wow! Although as you say, your knee is still swollen but it looks sooo much better than the last photo! Progress!!
You have a beautiful family and hopefully they will have a chair in the delivery room to sit occasionally. Congratulations on #9!
I am sure it doesn't feel like you have moved but it does sound like it especially with the improved flexion! Hang in there!
Continue to keep you in my prayers! Xx
 
Thirty degree improvement is wonderful! Just the encouragement you need!
 
What great improvement in a week! [emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom