MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

I second what everyone else is saying! Pain control, rest, ice, and elevation are the most important right now and getting that swelling down so you can bend it a bit! Are you measuring it to see if or how much it is going down?

Hang in there and don't let this pull you down... I love your positive attitude despite what you have had to endure! :puppysmooze:

I hope your new meds and massage work. I also hope you just can relax and ice and elevate. My first pt appointment I was at 40 and the therapist acted horrified and I'm doing fine now. Wish they wouldn't all freak us out so early in our recovery. Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@AlaskaGrandy , keep the faith, *some day* will come and you will feel 100%, as we all will. While we're waiting, positive changes keep occurring even when we don't know it. :flwrysmile:

Becky, somewhere in the social room there is a thread for books, I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post the link on your thread.
Last summer I read The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah for my book club. It is one of my favorite books. I'm actually jealous of people who haven't read it yet. Another in the same genre is All the Light You Cannot See. Orphan Train and Story of Beautiful Girl are two more great stories.

Hi Liam, Cybele 62, sustersinhim,flyaway79, pheebs52, KarriB - who knew we could have started a going commando club! Seriously you just take those simple things for granted. We should throw a party when we can dress ourselves without struggle!

@Celle, thanks for posting the article about not comparing knees. At my doc this week was this lady who was several years older than me. She had first knee a year ago and the second knee in the same day as mine and by the same surgeon. There she sat with both her knees bent all up under her chair!! There I was pacing the waiting room because my knee doesn't bend enough to sit. She said her knee just bent, she didn't have to do anything! At that point I wished I hadn't been friendly and talked! I chose not to think bad things about her but not to ask anyone else about their knees, lol!

@knit2tog I have often though I should have named them! I need a knee whisperer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Becky, I've removed all the tags at the start of your post. We prefer you not to tag a lot of people like that, because it makes is so difficult for people reading on small devices like phones. All they see is a lot of tags, and sometimes not the message.
The people following your thread will see your post anyway.

This article explains and give examples of how BoneSmart prefers tags to be used:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...er-how-to-answer-when-someone-tags-you.15223/

@Pheebs52, I love your sense of humor! It looks like we are traveling similar paths. I cringe when I think about what I have worn out of this house to PT, things I wouldn't be caught in any other time! I've just been wearing those good flip flops around the house with my two toes pulled out the hole in the toes. Your profile says you are from Boston. I fly to Boston at least once a year to go to Sndover with my job. Nice, but too much snow for this southern girl.

Thanks @KarriB for the link to the books! I need to download some on my iPad.

@AlaskaGrandy, your surgery was right between my two. I admire you doing bilaterals, not sure I would live through that! Here's to one day :cheers:.

Oh no, @Celle,
I'm sorry. I looked a minute ago and thought I must have made a mistake and added them back. Then I saw your post. I tried to take them away again. Sorry about that!

Don't worry! Someone else has removed them now.

You did it just right in your next post.
You're not the first to make multiple tags and you surely won't be the last. We all had to learn when we were new. :yes: :flwrysmile:

I found you choose The Nightingale let me know if you like it. I couldn't put it down.

@becticu ~ i know what you mean about comparing knees. the lady in the bed beside me in the hospital, same age, got herself completely dressed and packed up for when her husband arrived to take her home. i saw her lifting her operated led up quite high with a bend in the knee. i couldn't believe it. she had her other knee replaced several years before. it was probably 3 weeks or more before i could do what she did...sigh! and, yes, commando was great while it lasted. good for you dressing comfortably, especially going to physio.

Agree one hundred percent with the not comparing. It's worse than comparing babies and finding out yours doesn't smile or patty cake yet when your same age nephew has done it for weeks! It is so true that we all heal differently and at different paces and it makes us feel awful when we are behind someone else's recovery :).

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I recommend anything by one of my favorite writers Curtis Sittenfeld! Just finished Eligible, a modern-day take on Pride and Prejudice, so delightful! Currently reading and loving A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, also recommend his earlier book Rules of Civility. Finally absolutely anything by Ann Patchett!

I just finished Gentleman in Moscow. It was good, but The Nightingale was epic!

Becky, I'm a big fan of all the authors mentioned by @keefsmom and the book mentioned by @KarriB! I'll also add Chris Bohjalian, Jodi Picoult, Anita Shreve, Joan Didion, Nelson DeMille, Anna Quindlen, Paul Theroux, and Barbara Kingsolver to the list of authors. For a great laugh, read Bill Bryson.:happydance:

I think we had a twin experience at our first post-op, surgical visits, lol! I was the ONLY person in the waiting room who could not sit. Nope, I had to pace around for a very l-o-n-g hour. The floor looked rather tempting...seriously, though, where are the footstools or recliners for people like us? Not at the Orthopod's office, eh? Next time, I think I'll bring a beach chair and a cooler, lol!

In the hospital, I had a roomie who had 100 degree flexion and claimed to have ZERO pain the next day. I shot mental darts at her.:gaah:I told the nurse, "Give me what she's having," but she was not amused; pffft!

As for Boston, there's way too much snow and cold for this northern girl, lol, but....it's home. That said, I would much prefer your climate and you live in an area I've always wanted to visit. Perhaps once my knee and I are able, I'll make that trip!

@KarriB, was right about the Nightingale. I could hardly put it down! I find anything by Terri Blackstock is wonderful, too. She had a series that I hadn't read when I my knee replaced last year. After losing the brain fog, I devoured them! Anything to get our minds off of our knees is a plus!

Becky, yes, I had a similar thing happen at PT one day. I had been watching a girl walk around and do her exercises, walk normally, and feel really good... we had spoken enough that I knew she was the same day as me for her TKR. Needless to say, that was the one day I was in tears at PT. I realized it was due to comparing so I stopped that nonsense (the comparing) right then! :) After my PT person gave me a tissue of course.

You may not need other medications to step down to when you're feeling less pain, but I stepped down from the Percocet to the Tramadol/Tylenol method. I had to tell my OS about it as I didn't get the feeling he had prescribed it before. Definitely turned out to work well for me.

That ROM will come for you. I too received the word MUA at my first OS visit, and had to return a month later so he could "check on me". It his words, "you've come a long way!" So, as others have said that bend will come.

You're doing really well!!

Sometimes it takes giving the TKR a full month to recover from surgery and then the bend starts. This could very well be the case with you @becticu .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft