Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

I used melatonin to help with sleep and it did the trick for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got a prescription from my PCP about 4 months after my surgery to help me get back to sleeping normally. Unfortunately, normal is only a few hours at a time. Some people get relief from Tylenol PMs. Please try and sneak naps in every time you get a chance. It all adds up in the end!
 
I saw my OS this morning and the red pace on my incision is a suture abscess and nothing really to worry about @Celle. I thought it was okay but I didn't want to take a chance of it being something else!

Thanks @dadman35 and @sistersinhim about the sleep issue. The OS doesn't give meds for sleep and that's okay with me as I was a little nervous about prescription sleep aids. I have been using Benadryl but it isn't helping. I will try melatonin tonight and see if it does any better. All is on track for June 5 surgery on right knee.
 
I'm glad it's just a minor thing, @becticu , but I am glad your surgeon saw it. If it should come to a head and burst, don't fiddle around with it. Just keep it covered with a sterile dressing. If you can see the stitch, go back to your OS - don't try to pull it or cut it off yourself.
 
You've mentioned using oils, becticu, so you may want to try lavender in your bedroom. Someone here on BS talked about using lavender to help with sleep.
 
So glad the red patch isn't serious. It's good that you got in quickly to ease your (and ours) mind. My niece swears by melatonin to help with sleep. She has an autistic son who doesn't sleep well naturally and it has helped him a lot. I hope it does the same for you. I would plan to give it a few days to build up, you may not notice a dramatic difference the first night.
 
Oh good that your spot is nothing to worry about! I hope the Melatonin works for you. It helps me, too.
 
Thanks all for the sleep support. @KarriB I do use my oils at night and so wish I could say that they have solved my problem! I historically haven't slept well. When I started using oils I was able to stop all sleep aids and only use the oils. I'm afraid my sleep deprivation from my knee may win out over the oils. I continue to use them in hope they kick back in. Melatonin is in the list for tonight!

On Wednesday I had a wild hair and emptied most of my pantry out onto the kitchen table and counters. I was so tired after I did it that everything sat there. I looked at it a few times yesterday but couldn't make myself start putting stuff back. Today I had my OS appt so that wiped me out! I spend a few, and I mean a few minutes putting things away and I'm done in.... I know, I've re-read what I should be doing @Celle :bignono:! I am hoping my sweet hubby will finish it for me so I don't have to look at it on Mother's Day! I keep reminding myself I will regain my stamina but that's hard to believe!

@sandi4213 you are just two days ahead of me. We are practically sisters. I've probably said that before but I just can't remember...:heehee:.
 
That old energy drain sure can linger for a long time! Most of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee, so that's why you don't have much left for anything else.
 
On Monday PT fired me! She said you don't need me, you know what to do, just keep it up!
Well good! But I don't agree with the second half of that comment! If you don't need PT -and who does! - then you don't need to 'keep it up' on your own. Just be normal.
 
Welcome back @Josephine. I missed seeing your comments. I trust you are feeling better each day and your recovery is going well! I understand your statement about not needing PT or keeping it up. Fortunately I had a young therapist that I loved working with. Once we established my boundaries in the beginning, I had discomfort but not pain. Because I reacted so crazy to the Percocet I'm not sure I would have kept up with ADL in the beginning without her! She is encouraging me to walk each day and ride the incumbent bike for 5 minutes daily. I am facing my second knee on June 5 and she was very helpful working with me on the that knee, strengthening muscles in preparation for the next round. She also realized that it wasn't good for me to be in therapy all that time and then start again with the right knee.

I was so unprepared for this surgery (although I thought I knew it all, lol). I'm thankful for this site where you can come in and think you have it all in control, fall flat on your face and there are those to help pick you back up and encourage you on this journey. Thankfully I am a little more knowledgeable going into this next one!:yes!:
 
Try some Golden Milk... I can't remember who on here gave me the recipe but you can find it online as well. It makes me sleepy but unfortunately I only get a 2-3 hrs sleep before pain wakes me up but about 30 minutes after taking my pain meds, I can go back to sleep for another 2-3 hrs.
Did OS give you antibiotics? Hope it clears up for you soon! :fingersx:
 
Yes, we are practically sisters, and the same age, too. :loveshwr: I sure hope you figure out an answer to your sleep problem soon. A good night's sleep makes a world of difference.
 
@LindaO, I will have to try that nice read about it several times and thought it loooked interesting.

I think I am admitting defeat. I'm headed to my primary care doc and will ask for something to help with sleep (although I will try the Golden Milk). I have my 3rd UTI since my surgery. I've had them before but years in between so I'm not sure what's up. I didn't have a cath when I was in the hospital. This has got to clear, it could put my 2nd surgery on Junen5?in jeopardy. They did cultures last time and said Cipro should cover it.:shrug:​
 
I had my first UTI shortly after my replacement. I wonder what's up this these surgeries making us get UTIs.

I hope your doctor can get you through this insomnia. You need your sleep to help you heal.
 
I too just had a suture abscess last week. While at my gynecologist appointment Thursday, he gave a gentle squeeze and it burst. And while at the dentist I received antibiotics so I think those dr. helped settle it. I had sent pics to my OS on Wednesday, he wanted to see me on Friday and he said it should all be fine. I'm still not sure if it came out or subsided. I think it is still there, but not visible. OS said, if I see white prickly things, come back and he will pull it out. No swimming pool for me right now.

Sounds like you are doing great! And... yes, we have to stay away from the ODIC don't we. :)
 
Well I saw my NP for my primary care and she gave me another antibiotic for the UTI. I had an epiphany on the way to the doc. I've been doing bubble baths because everything all closed up with my incision. They have never given me problems before but I'm thinking that is what's going on. I've never had recurring UTI's before.

@sistersinhim she did give me a script for sleep. When I looked it up it's an antidepressant. Trazodone or Desyrel. The instructions say 1/2 to 1 tablet nightly for insomnia. I wondered if she prescribed the wrong thing? In my nursing background anti depressants are taken daily and continued for them to affect. She said only take this if I couldn't sleep. I hate to put more drugs in my system, but how I long to sleep!
 
The bubble bath could possibly be the culprit if that is the only change you have made. Hope the Cipro works and you can get back on track! Also sending you sleepy thoughts for a good nights rest!
 
Back
Top Bottom