TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS sorry to read of your stomach issues. Glad you are having the scope to find out what is going on. I'll be thinking of you on Monday.
 
I had my six week follow up with my OS this morning, and he RELEASED me!!! He said everything looks great, and I know what to do, and he wants to x-ray every two years now. He did write me one more prescription for pain meds. I told him I'm only taking them at bedtime now, so he gave me 40. That will last a while, so I shouldn't need anything after that, if I even need those. I also asked him about the low grade fever I've been running. He said that is common. The heat in the knees as they heal will read as a fever on a thermometer, but not to worry unless it's 101. He said my scar is still warm and pink, which means it's still healing. When it's well it will be cool and white.

Then I went to my last PT session. She worked me pretty hard! She first put me on the bike for 5 minutes to warm up, then immediately measured my ROM. Flex was 138 without a push! She said, I'm sure we could push it and get more, but we don't need to work on that, 138 is enough. They set me up a set of strengthening exercises to do 2-3 times a week, and said on days I don't do those, just to start a progressive walking program. And that's it! All good.
 
@ConnieJOS What happened to my dancing giraffes? Darn!
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
He doesn't dance, but he's cute.
 
Whew, I ended up with VERY sore muscles yesterday after PT on Thursday! But the nice part is (if there IS a nice part of pain) this is NOT pain from a swollen joint! It's just plain old sore muscles from exercise. I did a lot more than I even realized I could do. I went up a full flight of stairs "big girl style" twice! And I did a lot on the weight machines. When I did my heel lifts, she had me start with the front of my feet on about a two to three inch board. Talk about a burn! It worked my calves way more than just flat on the floor. I worked out for an hour and a half, and it's awesome that I could do that without aggravating my new knees and hips, just plain old sore muscles from exercise like I haven't had for ages!
 
All in all, I'd say I'm doing very well.

Connie, frankly I'd say you are doing EXCEPTIONALLY well. You have been through so much surgery this year and your recovery at this point is nothing short of amazing. You're going to feel better and better in this coming year too and I think you'll be happy at all the things you will feel like doing that were out of reach for you before.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that I know I'm doing a lot less now than I was six weeks after my last TKR because I was going to PT three times a week. I've not done nearly as much on my own. I want to start now just walking a bit more and practicing the stairs to get my strength up.

It seems like you've done just the right balance of resting and activity, so you're going to be fine if you continue that program. You're listening to your body and responding accordingly. That's absolutely the perfect way to approach recovery.

Since then I've had several episodes of being sick. My stomach starts burning right above my naval then I get nauseous and just throw up yummy foam and stuff for hours.
Are you taking any NSAIDs? That would be aspirin, Motrin, Celebrex, Advil, Aleve or "combination" over-the-counter products that contain any ibuprofen or naproxin? If so, that could be at least part of your problem and it would be wise to stop them until you can talk with your doctor about it all.
 
@Jamie thanks for all the positive encouragement! No I rarely take any NSAIDs. An occassional Goody powder, which does have aspirin in it but those are few and far between. I go for the scope Monday so maybe they will find out something then.
 
I hope so they can get it figured out then. I'm glad to hear you're not taking the NSAIDs.
 
I go for the scope Monday
I have been catching up on your thread, and thought, sounds like her knee is doing great, why is she getting a scope???
You're getting your stomach scoped, hope it is uneventful and you are blissfully unaware during the procedure.
 
Well, they didn't find anything wrong with me. That's good, but why do I keep getting suddenly sick? Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac! I'm going to start watching more closely what I eat and see if I can find something that is triggering it. They did do a biopsy of my small intestine to check for celiac disease, but he said he's 99% sure it will be negative.
 
@ConnieJOS I'm glad they didn't find anything wrong during the scope. But sorry you are still having the symptoms. It could be your gallbladder with atypical symptoms. My daughter had some similar symptoms without vomiting. She went thru a scope for possible ulcers and a week or so later they finally checked her gall bladder again and it had quit working, no gallstones it would fill up but was not releasing. Tracking your food and when/what symptoms may help. If you get pain in right upper abdomen and or pain that goes around your back be sure to let your Dr know.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ConnieJOS Glad they didn't find anything. It could be food triggered or medicine triggered so keeping a food journal may help. Really watch dairy and grains.
 
I got my blood work report today and everything is good EXCEPT I found out I'm anemic. What next?
 
@ConnieJOS I'm not really surprised about the anemia, you've had 4 surgeries this year. That is a lot of blood loss! Hope you can tolerate iron pills! You will have even more energy when you get it under control!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom