TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
 
Hello Jackie! @tiredwife
I'm doing ok. Busy day at work after the holiday. My knee has been pretty calm, a little achy at times as is to be expected, but nothing major. I need to get my rear in gear and do some walking and stairs to get it stronger! Without going to PT I feel like I'm not doing nearly enough.

Glad you had a good time camping! I hope it wasn't too cold!

Connie
 
@ConnieJOS Glad the knees aren't giving you too much trouble. Hubby's knees are still a little achy, but he said even if it never gets better he is glad he had them done. Everyone comments on how well he is walking. With working I think just walking some stairs once in a while is enough.
We had two nice days weather wise for camping. It turned cold as soon as we got home.
 
Just thought I'd post an update. I keep finding the little things that tell me I'm getting better. It's a slow process and sometimes seems to be at a stand still, but then you notice things. Melvin tells me that I'm walking faster than I was. I can tell that when I get in the car I can lift my legs quickly and put them in the floorboard. I used to have to pick them up with my hands! I'm starting to try a few stairs with my newest knee, but I need a good hold on the handrail. I'm not using my cane at all any more and I'm only taking one hydrocodone at bedtime, none during the day. My knee aches some, but not bad. It's very tolerable. And I'm not swelling at the drop of a hat like I was! Tomorrow I will be six weeks post op from my fourth joint replacement in seven months. All in all, I'd say I'm doing very well. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that I know I'm doing a lot less now than I was six weeks after my last TKR because I was going to PT three times a week. I've not done nearly as much on my own. I want to start now just walking a bit more and practicing the stairs to get my strength up.

I haven't been posting much lately, but I'm lurking among your posts. Sometimes between work and meals and laundry, and what little exercise I do, I just don't have a lot of time. But hey, maybe all that is my PT!

I hope you all are having a good night.

Connie
 
I think all that is your PT!! Definitely! Don't be hard on yourself. You've been through more just this year than most of us will go through in a lifetime and you have done so well. If you have found a mix of activity and rest that is keeping your swelling at bay but still allows you to live somewhat of a normal life I'd say you are on the right track. How bright is that light at the end of the tunnel getting? Very bright I hope!!!! xox
 
@gr82cu2
That's true, Janet. I really am starting to feel somewhat normal sometimes. I go and do just about everything I used to do. I never was very energetic or very active. I do need to improve that part some, though. Especially when we start going "through thick or thin"!
 
Sounds like a plan! Not sure I would continue to set your alarm for 3 am, however. If the pain doesn't wake you, that is. Good luck. Let me know how that works. - Joni
 
@ConnieJOS I think you are doing great! Remember that doing too much is often worse than not doing enough. Don't overdo it and end up with swelling again!
 
Just wanted to touch base regarding Dr appointments. I go to my OS on Thursday for my six week follow up with my OS at 8:20, then at 9:00 I have my fourth and final PT session for this knee. It's been a little over two weeks since the last one, so I'm not sure what they will do. I think it's mostly an evaluation to see how far I've come and recommend the next steps of home exercises. Then Monday I'm having an Upper GI Endoscopy. I've never had one but I may have a problem somewhere. At my last OB Gyn appt they found blood in my stool even though my colonoscopy was good. They did find some hemorrhoids though (yuk) so the blood could have come from that. It's like microscopic blood, nothing that I can tell I have. But they wanted me to go for the upper scope. But I was in the middle of all that surgery so I told them it had to wait. Since then I've had several episodes of being sick. My stomach starts burning right above my naval then I get nauseous and just throw up yummy foam and stuff for hours. I'm wondering if it may be an ulcer or something. I also had lap band weight loss surgery over seven years ago and it could be a complication from that. As I'm writing this I'm thinking I may have posted about it before. If so, I'm sorry to bore you with the details again! But I go for the scope on Monday. We will see. its always something!
 
I have no experience but it could be an ulcer from what little I know about them. I know zip about the lap band surgery but wouldn't it be an awfully delayed side effect if it has something to do with that? Hopefully the endoscopy will bring some answers and you won't have to keep testing to find the problem. Do you take anything like Pepcid or Zantac to protect your stomach? Good luck with your test sis! **I never read of this before**
 
Thanks @gr82cu2! I hope it isn't the lap band. Insurance won't touch that. Maybe an ulcer. No I don't take anything like that. Maybe they will recommend that. It would be nice if something that easy would correct it.
Have a good night, Janet!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom