TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless Thank you! It has been quite an ordeal, but it really seems to have passed by quickly. Just seven months for all four surgeries. My ROM came easy with both knees, and I've often wondered why. I'm not athletic, have exercised very little in recent years because of my bad joints, and I have short stocky legs. I don't know if my luck with that has been the skill of my surgeon, or maybe even the choice of the Stryker Triathlon (The Get Around Knee). Whatever it is, I'm surely thankful for it !!
 
I wish I knew! A friend of mine, a super athletic mountain bike racer, researched everything and carefully decided on the Stryker Triathlon, then found the most experienced surgeon in her area, one with a great reputation. She hired a personal trainer AND a life coach/nutritionist a year before her surgery. Spent gobs of money on these things and expected a great outcome. Did everything right after surgery, too. Followed instructions to the letter. Eventually her knee turned out fine, but guess what? She needed an MUA at 12 weeks.

I think certain factors we don't understand lead to rapid scar tissue formation in some people.
 
@ConnieJOS sorry to hear that you are having swelling and pain. Try to remember not to push too much during PT. It's so easy to get it swelling and oh so hard to get rid of it.
@Clipless, I'm really starting to have a different view of getting ready for a knee replacement. Here poor Connie had not been able to exercise before surgery and has great ROM and your friend did all the right things and didn't have the recovery she had hoped. I have been working with a trainer for the last four years, and while I was in good physical condition for my first surgery, I exercised my quad even more for my second surgery. My first recovery went fairly well. My biggest hurdle the first time was my extension, but I didn't have good extension before the surgery, so I knew that would be a problem. This recovery now seems harder and I'm really having trouble with bending. I'm beginning to think the better shape your muscles are in before surgery, the more problem you might have with your muscles tightening up. There was a woman next to me two weeks ago. She is three weeks out and her bending was at 97. I was six weeks out and almost to where she was. Then I read that older people don't have the same muscle mass as we "younger" ones do and they don't seem to have as much trouble. So who know!!!!
 
@Yorkimom, increased starting muscle mass leading to poor flexion after TKR might be a true or a false correlation. I hope someone will do studies on this. I have tried several internet searches, but nothing comes up. Indeed I mountain or road biked almost daily leading up to surgery, but these were not big rides- though my knee was moving a lot the quad wasn't strong due to the limitations of OA. Another cyclist (a guy) I know through another forum was racing and competing in ultra long-distance events just prior to PKR. At only two weeks out he already has enough flexion to ride a stationary bike.

For me, Post op there was a long delay getting me on the cpm machine the first time. Hours. The nurse had to call PT several times. Then I hurt my back and they wouldn't put it on me for another long while. I don't if those were factors in scar tissue formation. Maybe it's something less predictable, for example an immune system response. Our immune cells do all kinds of crazy functions we aren't aware of. Sometimes they go overboard.
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet! I went back and took the pic of my first TKR off your thread. It seemed inappropriate after I thought about it to draw attention to myself on your thread, especially considering what you are going through. I'm sorry!
Pfffttt! Don't be silly! We are all in this together.
 
Connie - I am so glad you posted your thread address in the Four Replacements Club - good to find you and catch up with your progress which, after reading through her, seems to be amazing. Well done, well done!
 
I also prepared my body for this surgery. Hiked in the mountains almost daily. Rode the bike for an hour (spin) about 5 days a week. Although my flexion is good 120, I've been stuck there for 2 weeks. But my quad muscle hurts and sometimes does not want to engage for my leg lifts. I'm also thinking that muscle mass makes for a harder recovery. -- Joni
 
Well thank you @NightQuilter ! Yes, I'm moving right along! Thanks for stopping by my thread. So you've had four as well! It's not easy, is it. :groan:

Connie
 
Hi Connie,

How's your knee feeling now and most importantly how are you? Xxx I was sorry formed about the ODIC at physio. I'm a bit wary of today and not just through anxiety. When he examined me some weeks ago he hurt my knee and it played up p. tomorrow is my first proper PT since the revision. I have to say the surgeon seems to have done the trick now x x if the PT hurts me I am going to tell him straight x

Love Ann xx
 
@Nana moon 27

Hello Ann! Thanks for stopping by my thread! I'm feeling a little better. They did push me a bit too hard Monday in PT causing increased swelling. I only have one more PT visit that my insurance will pay for, so I think they are trying to get me as far as possible with what little PT I can get. I go back once more on November 24, which is week after next, then they will give me instructions on how to continue at home on my own. I've been icing, resting, and elevating the last couple of days to try to reduce the swelling so that I can continue the exercise. I did have to work yesterday, though, so I was on my feet more than I should be. Other than that, I'm doing just fine.

I know you haven't been feeling well and I've tried to keep up with your progress on your thread. Getting the medicines just right can be hard! Not enough won't do what is needed, but too much tends to create other problems! I hope the adjustments they are making in yours, along with the new PT will get you well on the road to recovery. And you are right to speak up if they push you to do too much. You know when it's hurting more than helping.

Take care, and I hope you have a great day!

Connie
 
Hi @ConnieJOS , 4 replacements in 8 months is some schedule.
Sorry to see you are in the ODIC, it seems to be actively recruiting at the moment. I've joined again myself this week.
Keep up the good work with the ice.
 
Yes @kneeidea63 I've taken it easy most of the day. We did go out for dinner, but we went straight there and back. I came home, took pain meds, did a few light exercises, and now am elevating and icing and watching The Voice. I have to go to work tomorrow, but I will try to take it easy as much as possible. Still quite a bit of painful swelling.

Thanks for stopping in! :welome:

Connie
 
Hi Connie :) I hope you were able to relax a little today since you didn't have to go into the office.
 
@gr82cu2

Hi Janet! I did rest and ice a lot today. The swelling has gone down a lot, but I do have to work tomorrow. Yuk!

I hope your progress picks up the pace. I know it's hard to deal with so much pain and swelling. How often will you go to PT? I only have one more visit and it's a week from Monday. Dr Sherrell was going to try to get me more but he said with my ROM and my experience with this being my fourth surgery, that I can do fine on my own. And I agree. I told him I didn't just want to come if I don't need it, but I know a lot of it is just to be as active as you can without causing swelling, and get a lot of rest. It just takes time. It's pretty stiff and painful, but it's going to be like that for a couple more months whether I'm in PT or not. They are going to give me instructions for continuing on my own after my next session. There is quite a bit you can do at home with stretchy bands and ankle weights. Plus we have the bikes and treadmills in our gym here at the apartments.

I can't believe those bruises on your side. Theres just no good reason for that. Shame on them! :no-fin:

I hope you have a good night :sleep:and a better day tomorrow!

Connie :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@ConnieJOS Gotta say Hi, and I've lurked around your thread a bit. . . Just sending you best wishes!! The going to work thing has been a big irritant in my recovery - not enough movement, not enough opportunity to elevate/ice effectively.

If only We could devote all our time to recovery!! All the best!
 
Hello @Ollie! I've been reading your posts as well. Glad you stopped in. :wave:

I totally agree about the back to work thing. I guess I'm lucky though. No where that I could work would let me be off for four of these in the same year. At least I can do desk work from home. Between my iPad, iPhone, laptop, and a fax machine there is quite a bit I can do. It is harder to keep track of things that way though, especially under the influence of pain meds!

Stop in my thread anytime!:welome:

I hope you have a good night.

Connie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom