TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS you are doing great with your recovery and keeping your business operating smoothly. Just don't over do it as you don't want to be part of that club :heehee:
 
Hi sis :)

I'll be going to PT twice a week like last time. I already have all my appointments set up till the end of the year. I was hoping I could be done then but with this slow start I'm not so sure. Formal PT is good for me because I have a hard time getting motivated on my own. Oh well, if I have to make a copay on some visits then that's what I'll do. No way am I going that far and take a chance on compromising the outcome over a few hundred dollars. I'm still hoping a miracle will occur and I'll wake up bending my knee and feeling like I did that first day in the hospital. It could happen! If it could feel like that then I think I could just get back into life and things would naturally progress. My 1st knee is feeling really good! I've barely thought of it since #2 was done. I'm sure that's a combination of things.....1) #2 hurts a whole lot more 2) #1 is getting the benefit of the pain meds #2 is taking 3) #1 is getting lots and lots of rest because of #2. It still feels stiff when I first get up or try flexing it but it seems to loosen up pretty quickly. Because I've been walking so weird with this hugely swollen #2 leg #1 is hurting a lot on the inner hamstring area when I'm up on my feet. The walker was killing my back so yesterday I started using the cane. When I go out of the house I'll use the walker but I think the cane is ok for here at home.

I hope you are being kind to your new joints today and they are being kind to you in turn. xox
 
Hello Connie - I just wanted to stop in and let you know that I've been reading your recovery threads and I'm just amazed! Really inspiring, honestly. I'm having just one replacement and I hope I can remain as positive as you have, and have an uneventful recovery, as well!
 
@Minnie's knees @tiredwife Work today was a little rough. I was there from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. I have a lot of swelling and it's pretty uncomfortable. I came home and Melvin cooked us some New Yorks Strip steaks on the Gorge Foreman, with a baked potato and Caesar salad. I ate and went right to bed. I've been resting, elevating, medicating, and icing ever since. It was busy at work and I had to be there because the girl that works in my office had to be off. I left her so many notes, I'm going back tomorrow to explain the status on the things that still need attention. Maybe this weekend I can do better. I've limited my home PT to just ankle pumps, quad sets, and some leg lifts because of my swelling.

@gr82cu2 Some of what you said is what I meant when I said that having the second knee done makes you forget all about the first. I totally agree with you! My #1 leg is swelling now too, but not nearly as much as #2. At least it's nice to know that it does get better. I hope your PT works wonders for you! I agree that you wouldn't want to compromise your recovery over a few hundred dollars, but if I continue it's not just a copay, it's 100% out of pocket. I just can't afford it, and even though the discipline will be challenging, I know that I am able to do all the exercise I need right here at home. I don't think it's unrealistic to think you might go right back to where you were right after surgery. I mean, you had the ROM you needed, so once the swelling goes down, you should be right there!

@lunula Thanks for visiting my thread! And thanks for yor positive comments. If reading about my journey has helped I any way, I'm very happy to know that. It's what Bonesmart is all about! We will be here to walk through this with you when your time comes.

Connie
 
@ConnieJOS Sorry you are having such a rough time, seems like work is setting back progress on the knee. Now this is me talking in my mom voice........Elevate now! Better take care of yourself!.
 
Hope your swelling and pain subsides - I can't imagine how you must feel going back to work in under 3 weeks, but I totally understand your financial responsibilities as a small business owner. I work for a huge company that offers me a lot of (paid) leave, and my managers are great, but even I am feeling the pressure of returning quickly - can't imagine how that would feel if I owned the company.

Your body must be so tired, in general, with all 4 surgeries in the span of a little more than 7 months. That's a lot of healing! You are my hero. :yes:
 
@ConnieJOS I have a confession the exercises you are doing are the only ones I am doing. The swelling is gone and I just deal with calf being tight and my thigh feeling tight and bruise and achey knee I also get those rotten jabbing short pains I only take pain meds when needed which is most of the time maybe skip the afternoon, but they are almost gone. I feel so bad you have to work as when we overdue we swell and bring back the pain. It will be a better day hope you get some rest and that darn swelling goes to swelling **** certainly not heaven :heehee: I still think you are amazing you really have change a lot of body parts, keep you in my prayers sissy
 
but if I continue it's not just a copay, it's 100% out of pocket. I just can't afford it, and even though the discipline will be challenging, I know that I am able to do all the exercise I need right here at home.

Oh, I know and I didn't mean that for you. Who could afford to pay the full cost? I saw on my EOB's that they were charging the insurance either $105 per visit or $210. I'm not sure what the difference would be because they really haven't done anything different one appointment to the next. Anyway, I certainly couldn't afford to put out that kind of money. 20% of that we could manage for awhile, I guess. I'm just not a very disciplined person and tend to put things off. The only exercise equipment I have here to use is my stationery bike which I only used a couple of times. The first time I got over enthusiastic and hurt myself and set myself back. I found it boring and honestly forget it's in the guest room.

I have 13 PT visits left this year that insurance will cover and I have them booked. I'm really hoping this knee will come around quick and I won't need to go next year. I remember with #1 Michelle talked about discharging me around 7 weeks or so and I didn't feel like I was ready yet. We'll see this time I suppose.
 
:chillpill::ice::elevate::sleep:@tiredwife
Yeah, yeah, yeah Mom. I know you are only looking out for my own good. But I had to come to work again today. I'll make up for it this weekend for sure!

@lunula Yes, having to work has been a bit rough. The worst part was when they were calling me while I was still in the hospital! That was hard to deal with. At times like this, working for a large company would be great. There are pros and cons to everything I suppose. And I'm proud to be considered someone's hero! :yahoo:

@madinana Thanks for your confession, Sis. I'm sure you are doing fine. When mine is hurting or swollen, I still want to keep it moving so it won't get quite so stiff, but doing much at all increases the swelling, and we sure don't need that. :bignono: No need to make excuses, we ARE excused!


@gr82cu2 Sounds like a good plan for your PT. Believe me, if I had more visits covered by insurance, I'd be there. But I can make do. We have a gym at our apartment complex where I can exercise. :upright:
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
Here's a pic of my knee today. 3 1/2 weeks post-op.
 
It's 4:00 am. I woke up at 3::00, went to potty, then decided to catch up on Bonesmart so here I still am! I had a pretty quiet day. Went out to dinner and to watch the football game with my husband and some friends. I did accomplish a new milestone today! I drove for the first time since my last surgery. Just a short trip to the grocery store, a couple of miles. I went in and picked up three things and drove home. It went fine, but I have got to work on walking more. Just getting out of the car (parked close in a handicap spot) and walking to the back of the store, and I was already tired and achy. It's going to be hard building back my strength and stamina. With the four surgeries and the four bad joints before surgery, I just haven't walked very much.

Tomorrow (well later today) we are going to an early Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws. Melvin has two sisters who both do the whole spread with turkey and dressing and all the sides and desserts, so one of them does it on Thanksgiving day and one of them does it early. I have to get up and make chicken and dumplings in a few hours to take with us, so I'd better get back to sleep.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Connie
 
@ConnieJOS well done on the driving! It's a good step to independence.

We have walking groups here in the Uk for people who want to start walking more but don't want to do it on their own. Out local one meets once a week for an hours walk round the small town we live in. It's led by walk leaders from the Local Authority. It's part of a community health scheme. An hour sound like a long time when you've had so much surgery but you need to start off with may be walking 3 minutes each day for a week and then upping it to 5minutes then ten etc until you can walk for longer. If you do it in small bites, it may be more doable for you. There are quite a few walking books about which will give you a plan to work towards starting off really slowly. Just an idea but hope you don't mind me - feel free to ignore.
Best wishes
Mary x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperSnapper
Well, when you were talking about one hour walks I thought I'd have to ignore! Lol. That was sounding pretty intimidating, but I got a lot more interested when you said I could start at 3 minutes. Even I could handle that! A plan like that is exactly what I need. I don't like to be out doing something and constantly looking for a place to sit down. Especially when we go on vacation. I want to walk on the beach or walk around sightseeing without being in pain. We are planning a trip to Cancun in May next year, so if I start now and start slowly I'll have time to work up to it.

Thanks for the pointers!
Connie
 
Excellent. You'll do it! Just think of those beaches! By the way your knee looks really good for such a short time since your operation. I'm hoping I can have your positive attitude when I have my surgery. Only 9 sleeps now!
Best wishes
Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperSnapper

You will do great. We all get nervous going in, but I promise it's not as bad as what you think it might be. Just take it one day at a time and you will be fine. We will be right here to walk you through it.

Connie
 
Mmmm Chicken & Dumplings! Yummo! I love comfort food this time of year when it's getting cold and gloomy out. Congrats on driving even if it was just a short trip. I was thinking yesterday about when I might be able to drive again. Last time it was around 4 weeks I think so I was figuring on around 6 weeks this time since it's my right leg but maybe it won't take that long.

We're having our Thanksgiving next Sunday at our oldest son's house. I hope I'm up to the commitment I made to bring chicken & noodles, pumpkin pie, pecan pie and a smoked turkey breast. Kent will have to smoke the turkey. There is no way I'll be able to go in and out of the garage checking the smoker every 30-45 minutes. He's never done it before so we'll see how it goes. About the worst he could do would be to overcook it.

I was up around 3 to potty also but I went right back to sleep thank goodness. Don't wear yourself out today! xox
 
@gr82cu2
Hi Janet! That sounds like a challenge but maybe it won't be too hard if you can make things one at a time and don't try to do them all at once. I've heard you mention chicken and noodles before. What kind of noodles is it? Are they in some kind of sauce like Alfredo or something? Fortunately I just had to make the one dish. I did fine. I just sat in a chair while rolling out the dough and dropping the dumplings. We are in the car now heading to my sister in laws house.

I hope you have a good day!
Connie
 
Homemade noodles made with flour, egg yolks, salt, etc. Made a lot like chicken and dumplings only it's noodles instead of dumplings :) Glad you were able to sit down to make your dumplings.

My daughter-in-law just called. Nick (#1 son) is coming by Friday to get the stuff for the noodles I prepared and the stuff for the pies and he's going to bake the pies and they'll get the noodles going on Sunday. So, that takes a load off my plate. I just need to give him the recipes for the pies and the ingredients I already bought to make them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom