Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Got my lab results back for thyroid and they have upped my dosage, 137 to 175. No wonder I was fading every afternoon! Hope this gets me on track.

NightQuilter, do you have a sense of where this dosage falls scale wise?
 
Hi Dawn - That change should really help! As for where it falls on the scale, I can't really say ("I only play a doctor on TV" - not). I looked up Synthroid, which is what I am on. Their pill doses range from 25 mcg/day to 300 mcg/day. I was bumped from 75 to 100 last year. After the 175 mcg, they have 200 and 300. But I doubt one would ever make that sort of jump - more likely one would take like a 200 and a 25 rather than jumping from 200 to 300! But the good news is post-surgery, they have been able to determine exactly where you need to be.
 
Lol, thanks! I thought perhaps you've been staying at a Holiday Inn Express!

Fingers crossed this works! Back to the lab in 8 weeks to retest.
 
Celebrating one year after my revision and nearly two years after original LTKR! The knee is actually pretty good. My rom is perfect for me to do the things I want to do, and I mostly don't think about it every second of the day like I used to, thank you God! I can say I am happy to have had the surgery and hope to become more fit over time.

I have also recovered well from my thyroid surgery and feel like the dosage is much better than it was originally. I am feeling more like myself these days which is great!

Now, here's the challenge; my right knee, which I have never had any problems with, is starting to give me pain. Specifically, if I am sitting on the toilet(sorry to be graphic) and try to get up, I get a sharp pain behind my knee that takes my breath away. It seems to radiate from back to front straight through the middle of the joint. I have started to compensate and shift my weight to the left knee when I stand up. It doesn't happen every time, it mainly happens at the end of the day. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I never had pain like this with the other knee, this s completely new.

I am seeing my OS in a month for my yearly check in and will discuss with him then. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts or ideas to consider.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Good to hear you are doing well since your thyroid surgery. Getting the meds just right takes a little time and good to hear you feel good with yours. My daughter had thyroid cancer and getting her synthroid correct took many tries. She has done very well with it all.

A year since your revision, time flies. Glad that has worked out well for you. I understand the ROM issues, as I have them too. I have lost some and I am working on it. Don't know if I will get some back. I am thinking of more PT to stretch things out well. I see the OS at the end of the month.

Now for that other knee, I am clueless. I know with my other knee, I have gained strength and have almost no pain. That knee has come a long way since the RTKR. I wanted a BTKR and my OS said that once I got a stronger knee that worked, then the other knee would improve. I did not believe him since I had horrible pain it that knee prior to the RTKR. He was right and there have been few times that I have any pain there. It is usually from overuse.

Hope you find answers to what is going on with your other knee. Take care. :friends:
 
Hi Dawn, I'm so glad that you are doing so much better after your revision! It looks like your right knee needs attention, unfortunately! Since I had both of my knees act up at the same time and felt all of what you described above, I would say that I am happy I had both replaced! I wish you the best! Stay well and try and stay positive! :console2:
 
Happy Anniversary!! I am so glad the meds seem to have sorted out well and you are feeling friskier! As to the othe rknee pain, I am clueless Dawn and hesitate to proffer any opinions. I sure know the move to shift the weight to the other side. Good luck - but if you feel like it is getting more irritated, Jacky48 is right - pay attention. It may be it is still just getting more of the "work" - perhaps you inadvertently are still favoring the "new" knee...
 
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses!

It's likely true that since I have used my non surgical knee more through recovery, it's now showing that strain. Thankfully it doesn't ache, but that sharp pain when trying to get up is enough to take my breathe away. I will hope that it's nothing major until I see the OS in a month, then I will know more. It's just frustrating to have this flare up. As we all know the knee is in charge!

Until then, be well friends! We have had a run of nice days with moderate temp and low humidity, which is something else to celebrate!

Cheers,

Dawn
 
Dawn,
Congrats on your year anniversary!:yay: Glad you are doing so well with both the surgeries you have had in the last year!
My other knee hurts sometimes, seems to be from muscles that are unhappy about not being stretched, speaking of which, time for me to get on the floor.
Enjoy your great weather and take good care, hoping that knee settles down soon.
 
I had my year check up with my OS today! He was thrilled with my knee. He measured me at 128 flexion and 3 extension...very happy with those results! I had my doubts that my extension would ever get to this point, it's been a long, tough road. We looked at the X-rays and everything is beautiful.

I mentioned that the right knee is giving me an occasional twinge. He said he can see some deterioration but nothing to be worried about. Based on how I described it, he said it may be a slight issue with meniscus. He said if it became a problem, we can consider what the next steps might be, but no action right now.

Thanks to all my knee buddy's who have been the source of great support and friendship! I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

To those who are still struggling, stay persistent. Never give up your goal of a better quality of life. It took me two years to get here and I couldn't be happier! Maybe that's what the title of my thread should be!!

Be well friends,

Dawn :) :)
 
Congrats on "getting there." What a long, bumpy, winding road, huh? I worry about my "good" knee as well. Because I do not want to go through this again!
 
Dawn, that is a great report. So happy that all is finally well with you. It has been a long 2 years.

I have ROM issues, and have lost some flexion. I am back in PT and he hopes to get me stretched and gaining some flexion. Other than that, things are going very well.:friends:
 
:yay:Great knee report!
 
Good morning friends,

I went to a surprise anniversary party for our best friends from NY. It was a blast, playing 70's and 80's music, trying to dance and jam like we used to when we were 18! I can tell you for sure that my knees both reminded me that I most surely am not 18 anymore!

The TKR leg was actually pretty good, but the right was sketchy. The right hyper extends and there was a good bit of pain going on with it, especially in the back. When it is in full extension I get a pain in the back almost like its a ligament stretched too far. I don't like the feeling at all. The TKR knee seemed like it was swollen some, like air was in the joint. An odd feeling.

Thankfully got home last night, slept in my own bed and feel better today. I think it's a reminder that getting into better shape overall is very important.

In any case, with a few cocktails in me and good friends to dance with, any pain in the moment didn't really matter, and for that I am grateful!

Also, got to visit with family that I rarely see, always a good thing. And the icing on the cake....grape pie! Made with Concord grapes, the consistency of blueberry pie, sweet and tart, it's simply to die for! Came home with 4 pies and 2 quarts of filling so I can make pies at Thanksgiving! Speaking of, I think pie sounds like a good breakfast for my last day of vacation!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Fall in Vermont!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 224
Catching up on your thread. Sorry I haven't checked in with you sooner. Yah hay hurrah for great times with good old friends remembering the day...:yay::dancy:

I saw your surgeon two weeks ago about my other knee, too. My xray showed some wear, but not enough to make me jump for another round of surgery. He did assure me that arthrofibrosis doesn't have to reappear in the second knee. I'm going to an osteopathinc in Burlington next week. After I get his input I will decide on what my next course of action should be. I may opt to go with Synovisk injections. They last longer than cortisone injections and it doesn't cause deterioration of the bones. Perhaps it would be worth your consideration, too.

Getting the thyroid levels right for you is never easy. I hope if you get to those wiped out afternoon shifts before the end of 8 weeks you can get tested sooner. Hopefully that won't happen, but that is the nature of the beast. It does take time to build up a baseline, so don't expect overnight improvements at the new higher doseage immediately. My sister is really the one who should be talking to you about this. She also had her thyroid removed.

I'm loving the fall colors here, too. I'm at a higher elevation than you, so we are a little ahead of you. Went over to the Kankamangus Highway in NH last weekend. It was gorgeous. The picture below was on my way home from work. I don't have to go on vacation to get great scenic views.

[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Hi Martha,

Glad you got to see my OS, hope you liked him! He is very practical and not in any rush to surgery unless it's really needed. I would try the synvisc injections first. I would suggest you opt for the series of shots instead of one big one. I have done both, but had the best outcome with the series. They really helped me. I may be back to him sooner than later, that right knee is giving me a few headaches for sure!

The thyroid is another kettle of fish. I need to go for more bloodwork and just haven't taken the time. I know it's not quite enough just yet. I hear so many people who have had thyroid issues, it really amazes me.

The shot I posted is from Brownsville, about 10 minutes away. It's so wonderful living where we do. I was up in Tamworth, NH last week and they had some great color going as well. The wind that came through last night though has taken a lot of leaves off the trees. My yard is covered in leaves and pine needles!

Keep me posted on what you decide on the knee.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Yes, your OS was very nice - all of the staff were, too. I asked for a copy of my xrays. It had been a maze finding his building in the hospital complex. One of the staff offered to take me to the right place in the hospital to process my request. They all were very helpful and considerate.

Lot of leaves down around here after yesterday's heavy rains. it is amazing how first the greenery suddenly bursts into a colorful display and then shortly thereafter the trees are devoid of leaves. There's been a couple of early snowfalls that have come before the leaves have dropped. There were lots of downed trees and powerlines then. It is amazing how God designed things - a last hurrah of colorful beauty - dropping of leaves so the trees don't have to bear too much weight of the snow during their dormancy. I love the beauty of our landscape after a fresh snow, too. It is amazing how God designed the intricacies of our bodies - our knees and our thyroids, too. It surely is awesome when you consider all the details of our bodies and nature.

Have an awesome day!
 
Today is the 2 year anniversary of my revision and nearly the 3 year anniversary for LTKR! Time has really flown by!

The left knee is pretty good. Extension and flexion are appropriate for my lifestyle, and I rarely think much about the surgeries anymore. The right knee settled down and has not given me any additional problems since my last post last year. My hips have been painful which is a problem that I will bring to my OS attention when I see him again for my annual checkup. The plantar fasciitis has faired again but a cortisone shot a month ago has helped.

Thyroid issues seem to be under control as well. My dosage is quite high and needed to add an additional med to get me to therapeutic levels. I need to check my blood work again soon but I feel like I'm where I should be.

The biggest issues I am struggling with now are losing weight, getting more fit, and reducing stress. I have a desk job and have not committed to exercise. I work 60 plus hours a week and don't make time for my own needs. I need to find a way to get on a better path for my own long term health. This is so very hard for me as I am always far more concerned with meeting the needs of my family and my clients, rather than spend any time taking care of me. I know what to do; that's not the issue. It's just the act of getting started. It's frustrating when you know you are sabotaging your own success.

I come to the site each morning and night and read how you are doing and check in on old friends. Most of my knee buddies have moved on but a few of you remain. I always hope you are well and I want you to know how much your support and friendship has meant to me. Even though my posts are sparse, I am around all the time and think of the Bonesmart family fondly!

Stay the course friends and never give up on your goal of being pain free. Persistence pays off, even though it's pretty challenging some days.

Be well friends and stay in touch,

Dawn :flwrysmile:
 
So nice to hear back, and to hear that, at least health-wise and knee-wise, things are stable and even good. What a long haul!!

I think all of us girls (everywhere) have that tendency to attend to the needs of others without attending well to our own health. As you said, a commitment is needed.

Since you are at the point of stating this to the world, maybe you can start with a tiny addition to each day such as a 5 minute walk. To do this one thing religiously would be a start. I know some people park far away from their place of work in order to force a walk.

I found it's been years putting my life back together. Be patient with yourself!!
 
Back
Top Bottom