Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Good morning. Good to hear from you. I did just post something on Front Porch Forum yesterday about Bonesmart.org, but you are right. I don't often check in these days. My knees don't always do what I want them to do, but I manage adequately most of the time. So far I've been able to stay away from surgery on my second knee. If I have my say, it will remain that way for years, though I do get injections in it. Last one was in April.

I just went for my 2 year post op visit last week. As you know it hasn't been a smooth recovery. Apparently there is something abnormal about my patella that may begin to explain why doing stairs remains problematic. Both above and below there is thickening so instead of being round it looks like a Christmas ornament with fat spikelike structures at the top and bottom. Like you, I also have determined that weight loss is a must. I'm outside doing so much stuff that I haven't pushed further this summer, but I have lost 25 pounds since last year. I've got a ways more to go, but have been comfortable with a plateau the past couple of months. I'll make another round of diet efforts within a month or so.

If anyone reading this knows more about my patella scenario, point me to some good research literature. I do have good ROM and once I'm up and moving, I'm fine, but stretching out after I've been sitting may take a pause before I move onward.

Time for me to move onward - have a great day!
 
Dawn,
Good to hear how you are doing, thanks for the update.
It is hard most of us women have been trained to put the needs of others ahead of our needs, not really benefiting anyone in the end.
Hard to get started on taking care of yourself, in time you will find a way.
As always wishing you well,
Chris
 
If anyone reading this knows more about my patella scenario, point me to some good research literature. I do have good ROM and once I'm up and moving,
hhilltop,
Good to see you here, sorry you are having problems with your knee cap.
@Josephine may be able to comment on post #561.
 
@Dhare63,

It is great to hear about your knees!:happydance: Mine are going to be walking a half marathon in Houston with @RunA42K , if I can get my broken foot to hurry up and heal! Abby and I have been swimming and doing upper body biking getting ready!:happydance:

Here is a picture of Bonnie and me when we met in Houston in July!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 197
Dhare, I have been struggling with some of the same issues and have decided after much "failure" to take little steps. So, I don't even look at the candy at the supermarket check out I read mags!! I have committed to exercise once a week---water aerobics. it is on my calendar just like everything else. I am there, just like everything else. Once I saw how great I feel afterwards, I have been able to schedule two times a week---on the calendar.

At some point, we have to become as important as our clients at least!!! I know it is not easy, but I feel better even taking some baby steps.
 
Both above and below there is thickening so instead of being round it looks like a Christmas ornament with fat spikelike structures at the top and bottom.
These are osteophytes, outgrowths of bone caused by the arthritic changes. Here you can see a view of my patella before I had surgery. The outer edges are remodelled by the femoral condyles. As it happened, I did not need a patellar button (resurfacing) and it's been fine. Compare it with the normal one on the right.

[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Thanks friends! I appreciate the suggestions and knowing that I'm not the only one challenged with getting fit. I agree that it will be baby steps and making a commitment. Gotta start somewhere!

@RestAssured , I was just in Houston 10 days ago. My brother in law passed away and I came for his memorial. My Texas family lives south in a small town called Blessing. It was Africa hot! My body didn't like it at all, seemed like every muscle ached while I was there. I hope you guys hydrate well for the event!

Thanks again for the posts and good wishes!

Take care,

Dawn
 
Yes, I am already drinking a gallon of water a day! I am working hard, but enjoying myself! I hope you get to where you can enjoy exercise again. It took awhile to get trust in my knee, but Abby has made a world of difference!:happydance:
 
So good to hear from you Dawn! I too, stop in when I get a notice, but not nearly as frequently as I should. Time to check in with some new folks and support them. Ah, there we go, taking care of others again! Isn't it great to be at a comfort level with your knees? My 2 year is a couple months off for both, but it is so encouraging to hear you are satisfied with how you are doing! Sorry about the hips. Should the worse case scenario develop, they are a much easier surgery and recovery than our knees. Not sure where you work - Mary's parking idea is good. Also, if you have a choice between stairs and an elevator.... I keep getting started on an exercise program and the neck or back goes out. Its like one step forward, eight steps back. If anyone has the magic solution....

I know I am about 6 months overdue on getting my thyroid levels checked myself. My doc keeps me at the low end of a very wide spectrum, so I've never felt like I was where I should be, but already at 100 mcg - not much more room above to bump the dosage.... On the stress factor - perhaps make a list of your typical daily stressors, then pick one a day to ignore or alleviate. It can't hurt.

So good to hear from you.
 
Hi Lynn, my stress comes from a variety of different places; work, kids, my own unrealistic expectations of my self, and on and on.

My dear and wonderful youngest son added to it by getting engaged a couple weeks ago and setting a wedding date for this October. I am happy for him but I admit it's hard to really let him go. This feels sort of final to me, even though he has been out of the house and on his own for 4 years. The fiancé is a good match for him and I just need to change my vantage point on it.

Work is the biggee; I am a financial planner working with complex client needs. It's intense demanding work which I love, but sometimes the volume is greater than my bandwidth can handle. I'm working on adding no to my vocabulary but so far it's been completely underutilized! Teaching old dogs new tricks goes very slow!

For Thyroid, my dose is really high; 224 mcg plus 10 mcg cytomel. The addition of cytomel seemed to be the key for me. It is a T3 drug and works well with levothyroxon. I did a lot of reading/research before I asked my endo about it. What I found was that you need to keep tweaking the meds. One of my clients is a PhD in research on this subject and she said it's important that your doc not just stay with protocol but dial into your own specific needs.

Enough of me babbling on. Time to get a shower and head into work!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
I am on 175 levothroxine for low thyroid. My Mom's side of the family, grandmother, my aunt, uncle, all have hypothyroidism. I have learned so much about how regulating the thyroid can make such a difference in the way you feel!
 
Dawn, I also added cytomel quite successfully!! When my son married Sheau-ming rather than loosing him, a new daughter came into my life. She is fantastic, a great mother and a wonderful wife for my son. I have enjoyed getting to know and to love her.

Life is change and nothing stays the same, however, I think that change brings more and more love into my life. Now, I have my beautiful son to love as well as his wife and three little granddaughters that I absolutely adore.
 
Love the perspective of adding to your family, rather than losing a son! Perhaps that will help de-stress, Dawn. Of course, 8 weeks to get ready for a wedding is tough, but remember, it will all happen as it should and spending time stressing over the minutiae will only detract from enjoying the celebration! After 20+ years as a trial attorney, I can appreciate what your job adds to your life! Good luck!!
 
Thanks Friends, great advice!

The fiancée is a good kid and has a strong sense of self. She makes him eat right and brings out the best in him, and I think he does in her as well. They are young but are mature beyond their years. I know it will all be fine. I always hope for the best!

Off to Saturday chores and some office time! Be well!
 
Well Dhare, it was good to finally get a look at your too!! Love the color of your dress. Weddings are stressful--my daughter was a calm and beautiful bride, but I have seen plenty of Bridezillas in my time!! Your daughter in law is beautiful and I love her hand made shawl---did she make it?

Getting along as a mother in law is all about the zipped lip. I must have said, well, it sounds good to me, glad it is work out and I am sure you know best about this a 1000 times each. It is not worth it to disagree especially in that first year when you are getting to know one another.

Now that Ian and Sheau-ming have been married for 10 years, we know how to get along. I still practice the zipped lip technique a lot, but we also know how to talk things over when we don't see eye to eye. Like any new child in your life---you need to get to know her and for her to know you. It is awkward at times (remember zipped lips antagonize no one!!) but it does get better and better. My daughter in law has been very gracious to me at many times. I visit twice a year to see my sweet granddaughters and we are friends.
 
Thank you friends for your kind words! It was a typical October day in Vermont; sunny but cool, 60 degrees, and full foliage. The reception was at their home so the backdrop is one we get to enjoy often! Big white tents with flying flags, pig roast, Mac and cheese, corn bread, apple and grape pie. Sparking hard cider was used for the toast. It was a lot of work but it came together beautifully!

@skigirl, thanks for the advice on being the mil, you are a wise woman! I have a motto I follow most of the time, it goes like this; you are the master of your thoughts but the slave of your words, and boy is it true! Thankfully she involved me in every step of the planning and my son knows that I am a master planner, so he really helped facilitate that as well. I ran ideas by her and she was honest when she did or didn't like something. She is estranged from her mom and really leaned on me a great deal. It made me appreciate how lucky I was to have had a close relationship with my own mother, and hope we continue to forge a strong bond.

I did manage to dance a few times; my sons friends kept asking me to dance with them, they are a great group of young men! I was sore all over on Sunday!

Take care knee friends and thanks for being out there, I appreciate it,

Dawn
 
Back
Top Bottom