TKR My Journey

I’ve spent quite a bit of time on the ODIC bench because I’m stubborn and impatient,
Yes, I can relate: the minute we feel a bit better, we think we are fully recovered and do too much... and end up back on the bench again.

It's great to read that you are pleased with the new knee -- even if a bit impatient with the recovery. Just remember, the garden will be there waiting for you when you are ready!
:flwrysmile:
 
Being retired does have some perks!
Hi @FourCats , I totally agree! There's a lot less pressure to "heal quickly" in order to get back to the salt mines. I suspect that, in my case, being able to spend a lot of time recovering/rehabbing without the added pressure helped me tremendously - physically and mentally. Lots to be thankful for.
 
I had my regular check-up with my PCP this morning and she was amazed at my knee progress. When I saw her in January for my pre-op clearance, I was hobbling like a 100 year old. Today when she saw me coming down the hall, she started clapping!!
 
:wow: What a great report, @FourCats !

You must have felt on top of the world when your surgeon gave you a round of applause at just two months out.

Now don't get cocky and overdo it! :wink:
 
Your last two posts really made me smile! I totally relate wanting to get out in the garden. Fortunately, it’s still too cool to begin ours, so I do have that slowing me down some. I’m trying my hand this year at starting some plants from seed. So that might keep me out of trouble in the meantime, but, like you, I keep eyeing projects that just didn’t get done last fall. And two flowerbeds that need to be overhauled .......oh, well, they aren’t going anywhere, I remind myself! And your visit to your Dr who applauded you....how delightful! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your happy thoughts!
 
Ten weeks and still continuing to improve though I have been on the ODIC bench more than I should. I had family visiting for the weekend and was on my feet or sitting with my feet down for too long. I’m able to rest today as it’s raining so no outside work. I am glad I had them done in spite of the long and sometimes difficult recovery.
 
Happy one year birthday to knee #1!,
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey
    A2922C1C-634C-4673-B166-D67F26019764.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 122
I have been having a lot of pain when standing up from a sitting position and both knees feel really stiff. My ROM is great. I’ve been doing lots of yard work in small increments and my OS thinks the knees are trying to adjust to movement they haven’t experienced in several years. He prescribed meloxicam to see if it helps and told me to keep elevating and icing when I finish what I’ve been doing. I hope it helps me adjust.
 
I think you’re doing great, to be doing yard work already, @FourCats . I guess if you love it, it helps. We are just heading into autumn/ winter here, so not much to do in our garden except pull up the last of the lettuce and tomatoes.
 
It’s not strenuous work, just some raking and weeding which I do sitting on a chair. I haven’t had the nerve to try kneeling or sitting on the ground for fear I wouldn’t be able to get back up! I’d be so embarrassed to have to call the local sheriff to help me get up!
 
@FourCats sorry I missed your kneeversary for knee #1. And already doing yard work with #2. That great. Super!!!I had to laugh about needing help to get up. I remember the first few times I need help when I was first feeling my age. I just knew I had to somehow get my butt up there long enough for the rest of me to catch up.
 
One week on the meloxicam and not noticing any improvement. I have cut back on the outside work. I’m doing more stretching exercises as the back of my thighs feel tight. Icing several times a day and gentle massage to try and help with the pain. I have noticed more stiffness since the humidity has started climbing along with the temperature.

I have an appointment with my surgeon in June but may try and move it to an earlier date. If it were just the second knee I wouldn’t feel as nervous but the year old first knee is just as painful.
 
Still have pain 8/10 in both knees plus swelling.
 
Why not try a day or two of rest? Humidity doesn’t help ( arthritis is always worse in humid weather)… but you may be doing something your knees don’t like.
 
That’s my plan @kiwicurls even though I don’t want to. I’m increasing the elevation and icing time to help reduce the swelling. I just get so frustrated and fear that after all I’ve been through I’ll still have pain.
 
Hi, @FourCats ..... I just want to encourage you. I notice that you are at roughly 3 months. I think you are doing great. I’m just now doing my garden work, and, find I Do have to be careful to not push myself too hard. And, I’m now 7 months from my TKR! ( roughly 5 1/2 from the cleanout surgery for infection). So you see, you are really doing better than you think. I think, like @benne68 said, it’s So easy to be feeling better, & then let our enthusiasm get ahead of us. I certainly do, & have found myself on the ODIC bench all too often.
Our weather is finally cooperating, so we have started on the garden. And, our favorite nursery opened yesterday! YAY! Now, to just pace myself. My husband has scheduled our 2nd Covid boosters for tomorrow, so that may slow me down a bit. We both plan to take it easy for a day or so. At 77 & 82, we are being very careful. So my broccoli plants will have to wait a little longer. There were 2 “ bonus plants” in the 4-pack, so we’ll have 6 plants! Our grandson just told me that he Loves broccoli, so, I’ll have some homegrown for him. They won’t have tomatoes til this weekend, which should be perfect, our soil will be all warmed up.
I still get really tired if I do too much, and, my balance leaves a bit to be desired, but I keep reminding myself what my sister’s old Dr told her, that even a Tiny bit of improvement is progress. I do hope your pain improves soon. Have you tried any OTC pain relief (Tylenol, aspirin or Iboprufen)? I often forget that those sometimes help, I just don’t take much of anything.
Do be patient with yourself, remember that no 2 knees are alike ( even on the same person, which I would Definitely forget!). Pat yourself on the back for all the progress you have made. Looking to hear some good news soon.
PS.... I agree with @kiwicurls, that humidity can play havoc on our bodies! We had some rainy days recently ( very thankful, it is dry here). I did notice extra pain & stiffness.
 
I know this is off topic but I had a deer hanging around my yard last evening and this morning, eating and lying down to chew on her cud. She treated me with the first sighting of the fawn she just delivered. The miracle of life!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey
    52A4CF93-B084-480A-A736-C067A6A5578E.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 122
Back
Top Bottom