TKR My Journey

Zingers. Three weeks out and the one darn spot inside my knee is driving me nuts!! I asked my PA last week when the staples came out why that spot is so sensitive and he explained that is where the internal incision is made to get to the knee joint. When I asked if there was anything I could do to get some relief, he grinned and said “Be patient.” I nodded and told him I was going to name my zinger after him so I could curse whenever it got me. He grinned again and said he was tough and could handle it. Then he gently massaged the spot and said that’s the best way to handle it because it stimulates the nerves to heal.

On a positive note, I made five rotations on my pedal exerciser today and am rarely using any assistive device in the house!
 
That's great news @FourCats on the rotation - big deal there. I agree with Dr. Zinger, they will subside. I imagined my severed nerves like 2 hands trying to find their finger mate (thumb to thumb, pinky to pinky, etc.) sometimes meeting and sometimes missing. Whenever I got a zinger, I imagined that some of the still severed nerves had just met up and shared a firm handshake.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey
 
Congrats on your biking @FourCats and sorry about your zingers. For only three weeks out, you’re doing great!
 
One month post-op. ROM 0-114. Minimal discomfort except for zingers. No longer using any assistive device. Continue icing and elevating frequently throughout the day. Sleep is a bit of an issue, not because of the knee but a painful shoulder. Overall pleased with my progress.
 
That's a fantastic 1 month report. Despite the continued discomfort, you're well on your way to being pain free in the knees. How's knee #1 holding up, it's still a youngin?
 
0-114 is fantastic ROM for 1 month @FourCats! I would have been happy to have that at a year!
 
Wow! That’s Great! I’m still struggling to achieve that elusive “0” extension ( but trying to be patient & remember that we all heal differently ). Congratulations on such wonderful progress!
 
Made solo trip for bone density scan yesterday, one hour each way. Was really stiff when I got home but elevated and iced which helped. Rain in today’s forecast so planning to stay inside and baby my knees.

Great report from scan is that my bones are pretty strong and I’m at low risk for fracture!
 
That is a great scan result.
 
Oh, my, what a difference the weather makes! It had been in the 70s for a couple of weeks and the temperature dropped into the 20s overnight. Shall I say “stiff” is an understatement!!!
 
Hi @FourCats
Crazy, huh…but real! I’ll share a bit of info I found on this awhile back -

It is true you can feel weather changes in your joints. Especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Hope you have a great Sunday and week!
 
@Layla so interesting! Thanks for the information to help me realize I’m not crazy … just cold!
 
Anyone else have a moment of pure bliss when they are aware that NOTHING hurts? I was lying in bed and realized I was actually comfortable, that nothing was hurting. Of course, I ruined it when I had to move to make sure I hadn’t died!!!
 
☺️I had to read this one out loud, & we both got the Biggest chuckle!! We both still get excited when we walk, I haven’t been able to do that for so long because of the pain. Can’t Wait for our beloved Farmers Market to start on April 2, & be able to walk Normally, and without pain. . You keep enjoying those moments, @FourCats .
 
Almost at the six week mark and the exhaustion has hit. I haven’t overdone it; I just think my poor ol’ body is worn out from both the physical trauma of the surgery and the mental energy the rehabilitation takes. I sleep a few hours at a time both in bed and in my chair with ottoman. Minimal discomfort is handled with acetaminophen. I continue to elevate and ice even though there doesn’t appear to be any swelling. ADLs keep me moving and I do daily exercises, mostly using my pedal exerciser and some balance activities. I have an appointment with my OS next week and expect a good report. I remember this phase from the first knee but it came much earlier at about the 4 week mark. But I also remember it passed and I know this will, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom